Blended Families

1st Christmas with SS...

This year was the first Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, DH has ever gotten to spend with SS10. For the most part, it was wonderful! We spent the week in Seattle with my family. He had so much fun with all his cousins who are the same age and was begging to stay longer when it was time to leave. He was very excited to find out he is having a little brother.

The only sort of incident we had was that on Christmas Eve right before bed, we could tell something was wrong with SS so we asked him if he was feeling ok. He couldn't even explain to us if he was feeling sick or just upset and after having a long talk with him and having him drink a glass of water he told DH that BM told him that Santa would not come if he spent Christmas with his Dad and that Santa would only come her house. We assured him that Santa would know exactly where he was and he calmed down and was fine the rest of the night.

We had taken the kids to see Santa earlier in the week and at the last minute decided to buy the nerf gun that SS asked Santa for, even though it was excessive and we had already bought him a different one, because we thought it might be his last year believing in Santa. After he opened it on Christmas Day he said, "My mom was WRONG! Santa did come here!" When he talked to her and her parents on the phone later that day, he kept telling them the same thing over and over again. He also said if he couldn't take it to BM's he wanted to take a picture of himself with it so he could prove to BM she was wrong.

It is beyond me why BM does these things since they only hurt SS. She also made him feel very guilty that he would not get to see his Aunts when they visited for Christmas because he would be with DH, even though they had 6 months notice of the days DH had SS. I even tried to give her the benefit of the doubt at first, thinking SS misinterpreted what she said, but he kept repeating exactly what she told him. I guess this is just a little bit of a vent, since I have no control over what BM does, I just figured a lot of you can relate. DH dropped SS off today and I am relieved that the visit went smoothly and SS had a great Christmas with us.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 1st Christmas with SS...

• Things like that make me so angry, why the hell would you try to ruin your kids Christmas???  I would dye at the thought that my SK/kid thought Santa might not come to them.  What a b(i)tch.

Glad you guys had a good time regardless. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He is 10 and already reminding her that she was wrong about what she said. If BM continues he will listen less to what she says. That is what happened with all my SKs as they got older. They reconized what was going on and now BM has stopped. Sometimes the kids correct the situation if the adults don't. Glad it was a good Christmas.
  • Loading the player...
  • Why do BM's do that to their children??? 

My SD's mother told her the same thing.   Santa would not be able to find her and leave presents for her unless she was in her bed at her mother's house.

We live an hour away from her BM.  After DH & I were married, the first time we were going to have SD on Christmas morning, we ended up having to take her home around midnight because she was hysterical about Santa not finding her.  We weren't supposed to have her home until about 9 am Christmas morning.  No matter what we said or did, she wouldn't calm down or stop crying.  It was absolutely heartbreaking.  For her and for us.

We have NEVER had her wake up in our home on Christmas morning due to this issue and the great holiday swap schedule.  She is 12 now and Santa isn't really an issue anymore.  :-(   

My DH and I are sad that until she starts making her own decisions, she will probably never get to enjoy a Christmas morning with us and her little sister.

I am happy that you had a wonderful Christmas with your SS.  Enjoy every minute!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"