Georgia Babies
Options

Baby Rash

DS is 7 weeks. About a week ago he started to get a rash on one side of his face (the side he prefers to turn his head when asleep). It seemed to spread over to the other side and under his neck. It hasn't gotten any worse but it is not really any better. Yes, I know I could take him in to the doctor but I don't want to go right after they were closed for Christmas because I figure a bunch of sick babies, long waits, etc, and if it is just a common rash that is not bothering him (no fever, not on other parts of his body) can they do anything?

After looking online I think it could be either from spit up or a heat rash. We were swaddling in flannel PBK blankets and so now I am going to use the plain cotton jersey ones to see if that makes a difference. Any other ideas to make him more comfy or help it go away? 

Re: Baby Rash

• Options
    DD gets rashes/red patches of skin on her body due to dryness. She often has one bright red cheek. We've tried Aquaphor on all of her rashes and it's done wonders (usually clears up overnight). I think that should help if it's chapping/irritation due to spit up... no experience with heat rashes (sorry), but it might be worth a shot!
  • Options

imagedany2006:
    DD gets rashes/red patches of skin on her body due to dryness. She often has one bright red cheek. We've tried Aquaphor on all of her rashes and it's done wonders (usually clears up overnight). I think that should help if it's chapping/irritation due to spit up... no experience with heat rashes (sorry), but it might be worth a shot!

Same here.  Gavin gets terrible red cheeks from dry skin and also (weirdly) whenever he is getting sick.  Aquaphor helps a little but the best thing we've found was the super thick Eucerin cream.  It comes in a HUGE tub that should last until he goes to college.  DH's grandmother in WI put this on him last winter and it cleared his cheek up in an hour.  I was shocked but she knew exactly what to do- guess its pretty common in his family.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also use eucerin.  It works great for us.
  • Options
    We use aquafor for Derek's dry skin. Since he was little it's the only thing that could help his dry skin/rashes that usually occur when the weather changes.
    Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
  • Options
    another vote for aquaphor!!  It's great!!
  • Options
    Ditto the Aquaphor. It's made by Eucerin and comes in the tub like what SLW's talking about.
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Max gets little rashes on his cheeks as well, aquaphor usually does the trick.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Cetaphil Restoraderm wash and lotion. It works wonders for eczema and atopic dermatitis in addition to clearing up rashes and dry skin. It's the only product that we use that has worked on DS.
  • Options
    It's probably from the flannel.  Their skin is super sensitive.  Our pedi always said to keep them in 100% cotton clothing in the early months period.  I didn't always heed that suggestion and the kids would get rashes on occassion.  He also said to only bathe baby once a week during winter months.  I didn't do that either b/c some days they just plain needed a bath.  Slather on Aquaphor too.
  • Options
    Ditto all of the Eucerin/Aquaphor comments. As far as making him more comfy, I agree with the 100% cotton. I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about when you said "jersey" blankets, but we use these thermal receiving blankets and they are great for swaddling because they're stretchy. We brought ours to the hospital for both of my DD's and all of the nurses both times said they were better than hospital blankets because A. They're 100% cotton - and B. Because they stretch so you can swaddle your LO nice and tight and it makes them more comfy. Here's the link! https://babiesrus.digby.com/shops/web/babiesrus?cmd=item&itemId=2302314&vendorId=90 Hope it worked! I'm on my iPhone.
  • Options
    imageMarinesPrincess:
    Ditto all of the Eucerin/Aquaphor comments. As far as making him more comfy, I agree with the 100% cotton. I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about when you said "jersey" blankets, but we use these thermal receiving blankets and they are great for swaddling because they're stretchy. We brought ours to the hospital for both of my DD's and all of the nurses both times said they were better than hospital blankets because A. They're 100% cotton - and B. Because they stretch so you can swaddle your LO nice and tight and it makes them more comfy. Here's the link! https://babiesrus.digby.com/shops/web/babiesrus?cmd=item&itemId=2302314&vendorId=90 Hope it worked! I'm on my iPhone.
    Also just an FYI, I have only been able to find them at BRU. Target doesn't carry them. And for WIW, my babies both loved/love them!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"