D.C. Area Babies

How do you do CIO in the morning?

So we have no problem putting DD down at night (6:45), but we've been having trouble with her waking up too early. She used to sleep solidly from 7:00 to 7:00, but now she often wakes up at 5:00 or 5:30. We realized today that we need to start doing CIO in the mornings, which we never did before (we did it at night for a few days, then she went down with no problem). Today she woke at 5:20, we let her cry for 15 minutes, I went in for a few, put her down, and she cried for another 20-30 minutes, then went back to sleep, and woke up at 7:40 much happier.

Do we just ignore her when she cries in the morning? Do we try to go in and soothe her? I worry that if I go in to soothe her, she'll just cry again when I put her back down (as evidenced today).

What do I do?

Thanks!

Re: How do you do CIO in the morning?

• It could just be a phase - DD went through something similar at 15 months although she usually woke up at 3/4 and then would go back down at 5/6 after playing for 2 hours (it was odd).  I would just let her cry or do what you just did and let her know you are there, reassure her but don't take her out of her bed or stimulate her in anyway.
  • she may actually be getting enough sleep
  • Loading the player...
  • How long does she nap during the day?  It's possible that her total number of hours of sleep needed has decreased, so she needs a later bedtime.  I know that we had to move DS's bedtime up to 8 pm from 7:30 at some point in early toddlerhood.  He also goes through phases in which he wakes up earlier.  It generally coincides with a new bout of teething.
  • imageSofka:
    she may actually be getting enough sleep

This.  It may be time to push her bed time later.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First of all, the new sig picture is beautiful! Second, I think you're putting her to bed at a good time and if she goes to bed easily, that time is probably good. A lot of babies do go through this phase. A recommended strategy is to make a policy that she is in her room until 6:30. I've found that DD often puts herself back to sleep when we let her play for a while. I would give it a try for a few days and if it doesn't work, you could play with her bedtime. 12 hours a night at her age is good. At that age they should be getting 14 hours a day total - daytime naps plus nighttime sleep. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Warner went through a phase like this around 13-14 months (I think...my memory sucks, but he was over a year old). And because it was really out of character for him to cry like that in the morning, I would rush in there and soothe him, but he rarely went back to sleep. So after about a week, I just couldn't do it anymore and let him cry.

I can't remember how long he cried that first day, but it was longer than I had ever let him cry before and it sucked. But the next morning when he did it he only cried for a few minutes and then he went back to sleep and that pattern continued for about another week or so. Then he stopped and went back to being our good little sleeper :-)

Although, it's weird that you posted this today because he woke up crying this morning around 6:45 (but I had been dreaming that it was actually 4:30, so I was all disoriented!). But it was really odd that he woke up crying...I'm guessing that it might be because my mom was staying with us and she put him to bed last night? Or because we had Mexican food for dinner? Who knows...Huh?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"