North Dakota Babies

I could use some advice ... end-of-day crankiness

So it seems like no matter what time C takes his last nap, how long he sleeps , whether he has an evening nap or skips it all together, he is still super cranky before bed time. We have a pretty good bedtime routine with a little tummy time/playing, singing and reading books before I nurse him and put him to bed. Every other night we do a bath, but that doesn't seem to make a difference on his crankiness. He goes down for bed around 6, but starts getting cranky around 5. I would think an evening nap would help avoid this, but it seems like even the days he takes a nap around 4 or so and sleeps for his usual 30 minutes, he is still cranky. It makes bedtime no fun because he just fusses and cries. And I really want bedtime to be enjoyable since I'm going to start working more and won't have tons of time to spend with him.

Does anyone have any advice on how we could keep him happier for bed time?

Re: I could use some advice ... end-of-day crankiness

• imageDreamsBride411:
    Quick question - on a whole, about how much daytime sleep does C get?

I'm wondering the same thing...

• Loading the player...
  • imageEleise96:

imageDreamsBride411:
    Quick question - on a whole, about how much daytime sleep does C get?

I'm wondering the same thing...

Yea, ya see, I don't think he's going to be any happier unless he starts napping in longer spurts than 30 minutes at a time.  Is there any way you can keep him asleep longer?  Like, will he sleep longer if he's on you or napping with you?

• Just in the last week or two he has upped his naps from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 to 2 hours each nap, and takes 2 of those a day and then sometimes a 30 minute evening nap. On average he gets about 3 hours of naps a day, and about 12 hours at night.

• imageJennifer43:

Just in the last week or two he has upped his naps from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 to 2 hours each nap, and takes 2 of those a day and then sometimes a 30 minute evening nap. On average he gets about 3 hours of naps a day, and about 12 hours at night.

Wow!!! That's pretty great!!!  And what time are those naps and the short evening one?  (And also, what are his wake up/ sleep times?)

• His schedule goes about like this:

Wake up - consistently around 7:30 a.m.

First nap - between 9 and 10 a.m. (been sleeping about 1 to 2 hours)

Second nap - no earlier than 12:30 and no later than 2 depending on the day and first nap, and sleeping 1 to 1 1/2 hours

Third nap - between 3 and 4:30 but this is difficult to get him to take on some days. I always lay him down though and sometimes he just fusses and rolls around for a while, but I leave him for atleast 30 minutes. He is usually happier even if he doesn't sleep after this time.

Fussiness kicks in around 5 or so

Bed time routine starts around 6 (5:45 if we are doing a bath too) and he is asleep by 6:30.

Night wakings - he always wakes up in the 3 a.m. hour and some nights wakes earlier at midnight as well as 3.

• Ok, another question...do you feed him when he wakes at midnight/3am? 

• imageEleise96:

Ok, another question...do you feed him when he wakes at midnight/3am? 

yes. He feeds and goes right back to sleep.

• imageJennifer43:

His schedule goes about like this:

Wake up - consistently around 7:30 a.m.

First nap - between 9 and 10 a.m. (been sleeping about 1 to 2 hours)

Second nap - no earlier than 12:30 and no later than 2 depending on the day and first nap, and sleeping 1 to 1 1/2 hours

Third nap - between 3 and 4:30 but this is difficult to get him to take on some days. I always lay him down though and sometimes he just fusses and rolls around for a while, but I leave him for atleast 30 minutes. He is usually happier even if he doesn't sleep after this time.

Fussiness kicks in around 5 or so

Bed time routine starts around 6 (5:45 if we are doing a bath too) and he is asleep by 6:30.

Night wakings - he always wakes up in the 3 a.m. hour and some nights wakes earlier at midnight as well as 3.

Ok, I usually have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to sleep, so feel free to totally disregard me Smile buuuuuut, I think you can try pushing his second nap a little later in the afternoon.  That might make his short nap a little longer too (sleep begets sleep, right?) and possibly make him happier.

OR, do you wear him at home at all?  I always find that when Mari starts crankin', throwing her up in a back-carry while I do things around the house usually calms her down and if she's tired, she'll even take a snooze on my back.

• imageJennifer43:
    imageEleise96:

I agree with Cristina's advice about pushing his late nap back a bit.  Also, I'm wondering if he's getting hungry around that time.  You mentioned in the solids post that he seems to be hungry still after a feeding.  Kellen acted this way a few months ago and it seemed to improve after starting solids. GL---I hope you can get it figured out!

• imageEleise96:
    imageJennifer43:
    imageEleise96:

I agree with Cristina's advice about pushing his late nap back a bit.  Also, I'm wondering if he's getting hungry around that time.  You mentioned in the solids post that he seems to be hungry still after a feeding.  Kellen acted this way a few months ago and it seemed to improve after starting solids. GL---I hope you can get it figured out!

Wait a second... I'm thinking too, maybe he's looking to cluster feed in the evening??  I know Mari still does this.  She STILL nurses every hour between like 5 and 7 and then nurses to sleep.  Could that be it?  Will he nurse at that time?

• I never "wear" him around the house ... I do carry him around most of the day though. I don't have a good enough carrier to make it comfortable to wear him for very long. I definitely think he is getting to the age where he needs constant stimulation and gets bored very easily, but even in the evenings no entertainment can keep him happy.

I'm going to try to push his afternoon nap back a little later if I can keep him happy ... but how late do you think? Should I try a half hour at first and see if that helps? Would you try to eliminate the evening nap by doing this and just have a longer later afternoon nap?

I do think that he gets hungry toward the end of the night. I've noticed that I try to get him to hold off from eating near bed time so that he will eat right before he goes to sleep. Maybe I will try feeding him shortly before bath time/bedtime routine and then again right before bed.

Do you think I should try one or the other (pushing back nap/feeding more before bed) or just try both and see what happens?

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate your input!  

• I think the cluster-feeding may be the solution, although trying for a longer afternoon nap may work as well.  Once you start solids, you could feed solids around 5pm, then do bath/bedtime routine, then feed.  That may help too.  Keep us posted! 
  • imageEleise96:
    I think the cluster-feeding may be the solution, although trying for a longer afternoon nap may work as well.  Once you start solids, you could feed solids around 5pm, then do bath/bedtime routine, then feed.  That may help too.  Keep us posted! 

I was JUST thinking this! Might be a good way to work it into our routine and keep my little man happy. It's just so draining at the end of the day having him fuss and cry.

I don't think it helps lately that he was sick and didn't want to eat, then I got sick and dehydrated so I think my supply is all screwy so he might not be getting as much as normal lately either.

• Ok, I bolded my responses.

imageJennifer43:

I never "wear" him around the house ... I do carry him around most of the day though. I don't have a good enough carrier to make it comfortable to wear him for very long. Dude, he's a big boy - get his bubble butt in a woven.  They're a little pricey, but WELL worth it.  Wrapping isn't easy at first, but with a little practice, it's a huge lifesaver. I definitely think he is getting to the age where he needs constant stimulation and gets bored very easily, but even in the evenings no entertainment can keep him happy. I really think wearing him will help keep him entertained too - he's got everything in the world to look at, but from the comfort of being on mommy.  Sometimes when Mari's really starting to carry on, I give her a teething ring back there to chew on and she's usually good for the entire time it takes me to cook and straighten up the house.

I'm going to try to push his afternoon nap back a little later if I can keep him happy ... but how late do you think? Should I try a half hour at first and see if that helps? YES.  That's a perfect place to start.  Would you try to eliminate the evening nap by doing this and just have a longer later afternoon nap? I wouldn't eliminate the evening nap, I'd push that a little back too - especially if he takes a good long afternoon nap.

I do think that he gets hungry toward the end of the night. I've noticed that I try to get him to hold off from eating near bed time so that he will eat right before he goes to sleep. I used to do this too until I realized that Mari will eat both times.  She'll nurse before bed because it's just part of her routine and more for comfort, but she'll nurse A LOT still in the evenings just to stockpile for the night.  Maybe I will try feeding him shortly before bath time/bedtime routine and then again right before bed.  I think this will help too.

Do you think I should try one or the other (pushing back nap/feeding more before bed) or just try both and see what happens? I'd try both.

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate your input!  We love you!!! 

• hmm...my birthday is coming up in a few weeks. I guess I could ask for a woven wrap for my birthday. What was your favorite brand again? Or rather than brand ... what fabric works best?
  • I only have two wraps - a girasol and a didymos.  I love my girasol because it's soft and plush, but I bet if I was a newbie to wrapping, a didy would be easy to learn with because the fabric "grabs" better.

Check out the ones on HERE - it's a store right near me and they carry EVERYTHING.   Go for soemthing that's a linen and cotton blend - that's what give the fabric a "grab."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"