Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Questions about childbirth from DD

DD was saying how she remembered when "the baby was in Mommy's belly".  Then there was a big pause, I could just about hear her thinking, and then she asks, "how did the baby get out".  I was just like, umm, she came out when she was ready, at the hospital (totally avoided the question).

Anyone else getting asked or providing an answer?  Not sure the best way to answer.  And, I have delivered both ways (naturally and c-section), not that it really matters..

Re: Questions about childbirth from DD

• Options
    Griffin saw the video of my c/s - you can't really see guts open, but you do see the doc doing things to my belly - and babies being pulled out... so he knows they 'get pulled out by the doctor' and that's about it... he has never asked HOW... when he does- i'll just explain it.... about the surgery, etc.  If he asked if that's how he came out I'll tell him no- that the doctor helped mommy push him out her vagina.... i'm OK with him knowing things if they are the proper terms, etc.
  • Options
    I totally chickened out.  I told the girls that Mommy and Daddy went to the hospital and Miss Holly (my CNM) help us get the baby out.  Then I changed the subject.  They asked a few times but I was vague and they didn't ask any more.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD remembers that for DS we went to  hospital and the doctor got her brother out of my belly. She knows he came out of my belly (had to have a c-section) but that's about the extent of what she knows. She has yet to ask exactly how she came out or what really  happened with her brother. I'm sure one day she will and my plan is to be honest with her. We use the proper names for everything. No sense trying to confuse her and make things up, it almost seems that being upfront tends to lessen how much she asks me of things.
  • Options
    I have always been very factual with my kids about that kind of stuff.  They are 3 & 6 & know that babies swim in a special water in their mama's bellies, then you squeeze them out of your vagina when they get big enough.  My favorite part was finding my kids when they were about 4 & 2 playing that the oldest was having a baby, doll up her shirt, legs up in the air & saying sqqqqeeeeeezzzeee while the little one pulled the baby out.  So.dang.funny. Both of my kids love hearing the stories of when they were born (my water broke both times, hence the 'special water') and all kinds of new little questions come up.  My oldest knows that ladies have eggs & men have something called sperm. I explained that when those come together, that's what makes a baby.  I am expecting the "how" anytime now- that's tougher to explain in an age-appropriate manner than birth!
  • Options
    I just told my DS that the doctor was going to take the baby out.  That seemed to suffice him.  When he asked "how", I just elaborated by saying with special baby tools.
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    We have explained it in very basic terms to my girls - one was a vaginal birth and one was a c-section.  Basics such as we went to the hospital (we drive past it often so they know where they were born) and the doctor helped Mommy take the baby out type of stuff.  They are way to young to go into any more details. 
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    Right now I just tell her that I went to the hospital and the doctor helped get the baby out.  She seems satisfied with that answer for now.  I'll go into more detail as she gets older and asks more questions.  I just don't want to go into information overload at this point.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

imageCiarrai:
    I totally chickened out.  I told the girls that Mommy and Daddy went to the hospital and Miss Holly (my CNM) help us get the baby out.  Then I changed the subject.  They asked a few times but I was vague and they didn't ask any more.

This is along the lines of what I told my kids when they were still toddlers/preschool age.  When they are ready for more, they follow up this answer with the question, "But exactly HOW does the doctor GET the baby out?  Where does it come out?"  When they ask this, you know they're ready to hear about the vagina or the c-section.  

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"