Georgia Babies

allergic to formula

DS had been exclusively BF till a couple weeks ago when we started him on part formula. Well, he had quite a violent allergic reaction to the milk based formula, daycare rushed him to the ER, hospital stay, the whole nine years. The doctors believe he has an allergic reaction to the milk based protein (different from being lactose intolerant). The doctors suggested we use Similac Alimentum.

They warned us that it tastes and smells bad which it totally does. So we started it this week mixing it with BM that I have pumped. So far, it's has not gone well. He drinks a little and then fusses, refusing to take the bottle.  And I am not the one giving it to him.  Actually, I try not to even be in the room so he doesn't get the idea that I might feed him. 

Anyway, has anyone had any experience with this formula? Or know anyone who has? Maybe some tricks to getting him to take it? I would really (really really) like to wean him but I worry since he isn't taking the formula like we want.
I would love to hear your thoughts!

Re: allergic to formula

• I don't have any advice but wanted to say I'm sorry you had to go through all that with the ER and the hospital, it must have been scary!
  • We used Alimentum for my son. He had horrible stomach reactions to other formulas. It made such a difference for him. We didnt have any problem with him drinking it though. Sorry you had such a bad experience...very scary!
    Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Why do you need to quit BFing?  If it were me, I would just keep on BFing, you are halfway there!  That is unless you are just not going to physically be able to do it.  If your supply has dipped you could work on building it back up in no time plus he is going to be eating more and more solids so you should be getting more breaks.
  • imageebearwife:
    Why do you need to quit BFing? 

I'm sorry, but this rubbed me the wrong way and I can't bite my tongue.  This is none of our business.  If she is ready to wean, then she's ready to wean...and that wasn't her question...so, it's a bit offensive and irrelevant to even ask that, IMO.

I have planned to only BF until 6 months.  It's ok.  I and every other mom can do whatever they want or whatever works for their family...and it shouldn't be questioned by others.  

• imageDaisygirl613:

imageebearwife:

I'm sorry, but this rubbed me the wrong way and I can't bite my tongue.  This is none of our business.  If she is ready to wean, then she's ready to wean...and that wasn't her question...so, it's a bit offensive and irrelevant to even ask that, IMO.

I have planned to only BF until 6 months.  It's ok.  I and every other mom can do whatever they want or whatever works for their family...and it shouldn't be questioned by others.  

Well, you are entitled to feel how you want and I have to wonder why you would be so defensive about quitting BFIng after 6 months.  I don't know why the Formula Feeders are so sensitive when a BFing mother who really believes in (and loves) what she is doing even so much as delicately inquires why someone would want to quit.  I can't seem to want to bite my tongue that I think BFing when it is an option for you is the best way to feed your baby (and that is not just an opinion, it is a FACT with medical proof) and my babies are precious enough to me to "sacrifice" for a year or more.  Sue me.  Flame away.  I am proud of breastfeeding and I hate that you can rip a BFing mom a new one for saying so but God forbid you say the FIRST thing about Formula.  And yet, I still believe in choice and have managed to hold my opinion plenty over the past few years while being attacked or looked down on or forced into another room of my own home for being a little granola.

I was just thinking that a) being allergic to formula and b) hospital visits and c) expensive formula her baby rejects might be reason enough to change her mind if it were possible for her to keep going.  I wasn't asking "why" bc I felt like I needed to know personally, it was more rhetorical to kind of put the option out there.

And I was fully aware that I was going to get pissed on for my post but I believe in nursing enough to risk a hurt feeling or two to offer a valid choice for her in this situation.

• imageebearwife:
    imageDaisygirl613:

imageebearwife:

Well, you are entitled to feel how you want and I have to wonder why you would be so defensive about quitting BFIng after 6 months.  I don't know why the Formula Feeders are so sensitive when a BFing mother who really believes in (and loves) what she is doing even so much as delicately inquires why someone would want to quit.  I can't seem to want to bite my tongue that I think BFing when it is an option for you is the best way to feed your baby (and that is not just an opinion, it is a FACT with medical proof) and my babies are precious enough to me to "sacrifice" for a year or more.  Sue me.  Flame away.  I am proud of breastfeeding and I hate that you can rip a BFing mom a new one for saying so but God forbid you say the FIRST thing about Formula.  And yet, I still believe in choice and have managed to hold my opinion plenty over the past few years while being attacked or looked down on or forced into another room of my own home for being a little granola.

I was just thinking that a) being allergic to formula and b) hospital visits and c) expensive formula her baby rejects might be reason enough to change her mind if it were possible for her to keep going.  I wasn't asking "why" bc I felt like I needed to know personally, it was more rhetorical to kind of put the option out there.

And I was fully aware that I was going to get pissed on for my post but I believe in nursing enough to risk a hurt feeling or two to offer a valid choice for her in this situation.

Apparently you believe there are two choices and one is good and one is bad.  I believe the best choice a mother makes is the one that is best for her child.  I think formula feeders (myself included) can seem "sensitive" or "defensive" because we're put down by some as not making good choices for our child.  I don't think anything hurts a mother to the core as much as that implication.

• We had to put DS on Alimentum at 4 months due to a milk and soy protein allergy and he wasn't a big fan of the taste of it either. The pedi recommended putting some Carnation Instant Breakfast Powder into it to help. This worked like a charm for us. DS preferred the french vanilla flavor to the chocolate but it helped disguise the flavor enough for him to drink no problem. We bought the box of individual packets and started just giving him just a little out of the packet per bottle and increased it as he started drinking more. The only problem we've run into is that since we've switched to whole milk, he refuses to drink it either without the Carnation.

Good luck! If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at ckdram at yahoo. I was also able to talk to our insurance about getting it covered as a prescription since it was medically required.

Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
  • imagemrsd0907:

We had to put DS on Alimentum at 4 months due to a milk and soy protein allergy and he wasn't a big fan of the taste of it either. The pedi recommended putting some Carnation Instant Breakfast Powder into it to help. This worked like a charm for us. DS preferred the french vanilla flavor to the chocolate but it helped disguise the flavor enough for him to drink no problem. We bought the box of individual packets and started just giving him just a little out of the packet per bottle and increased it as he started drinking more. The only problem we've run into is that since we've switched to whole milk, he refuses to drink it either without the Carnation.

Good luck! If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at ckdram at yahoo. I was also able to talk to our insurance about getting it covered as a prescription since it was medically required.

I was going to suggest something similar. Could you maybe start to slowly mix it in with breastmilk- just add an ounce of the formula to his breastmilk bottle and then increase it gradually every couple of days.  It would delay your weaning, but probably only a couple weeks.  So sorry you're having to deal with this- good luck and let us know how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"