Natural Birth
Options

Castor oil or not?

So I have been totally against the idea of taking castor oil because of the risk of dehydration and the fact that there is mixed opinions on whether it starts labor or not. Now I'm getting desperate though. I have an induction scheduled for Tuesday morning and I really, REALLY want to try to start labor naturally so as not to have to deal with the pitocin (they won't break my water because of GBS). Should I give in and try castor oil or just wait and allow the medical induction on Tuesday? Refusing the induction is not an option either.

Re: Castor oil or not?

• Options

Why can't you refuse the induction?

I would start be doing nipple stimulation like CRAZY. And lots of sex.

Castor Oil would be a last resort for me. I personally wouldn't use it unless I was past 42 weeks and didn't want to go farther for whatever reason. 

If you really absolutely can not wait on the induction then maybe it would be worth trying. Just be sure to stay hydrated. 

GL.

• Options
    After having to do the castor oil to get contractions started (my water had already broken)- I would suggest just having lots of sex. I got so sick from the castor oil (like out of both ends- sorry TMI) that I would only use that as a last resort. Also, try using a breast pump for nipple stimulation.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING together labor going and nothing has worked. I'm at least 4 cm dilated and completely effaced as of right now. I have tried sex, nipple stimulation, accupressure, walking, birthing ball, and more that I can't remember right now - that's the only reason I'm even considering trying castor oil.
  • Options

imagecsalagi:
    Believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING together labor going and nothing has worked. I'm at least 4 cm dilated and completely effaced as of right now. I have tried sex, nipple stimulation, accupressure, walking, birthing ball, and more that I can't remember right now - that's the only reason I'm even considering trying castor oil.

If you really feel like you've tried everything, have done research into the potential complication of CO, and you don't have a medical need for induction that might make things more complicated, I might try it. 

I think this is one thing that is very personal. Some women would NEVER try CO, some don't really have a problem with the thought. 

My doula had a successful induction at 43 weeks with her 4th (how many 4th babies go into their 43 week? haha). I don't know if she would "recommend" it, but she preferred it over the pitocin induction she had scheduled for the next day. 

If you really can't hold off for a few days on the induction, it might be worth the try IMO. But I'm not to that point yet, and don't have experience. Just my opinion from where I am. 

• Options

I used Castor Oil to induce my labor with DS.  I would never use it again.  I would much rather go in for a pit induction first.

Take a look at the Natural.... Not. A Birth Story post.  My contractions were very similar to hers, it was terrible. 

Thomas ~ 07/07/2008 ~ 8 lbs, 5 oz

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

What's in my camera bag: Nikon D5000, Kit Lens 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, 85mm 1.8G, Tamron 28-75mm, SB 600 Speedlight

Global Developmental Delay consisting of a receptive language delay and self help skills delay

• Options
    My midwife said Castor oil is different for everyone. Some like me it wasn't that bad, but for others it's awful. I had my membranes stripped the day before I took it and then I had 3 rounds of the big D and that was it. I was in active labor 4-5 hours after I took it. My daughter was born just under 12 hours of taking the castor oil.
    Shareena Mom to Ethan 8.17.06 Lillian 9.25.08 Ewan 1.30.11 image
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic For all 3
  • Options

I'm a day ahead of you, hoping to avoid induction, and have one scheduled for Friday night. And I'm not planning to do castor oil.

I took 1 TB last week in the evening. I planned to take 2 TB then another 2 TB in an hour, but it was all I could choke down, the oily feeling and flavor almost made me puke. I woke up in the middle of the night with the most horrendous abdominal cramping ever. I could hardly even hobble to the bathroom for my one bout of diarrhea that it brought. I was soooo relieved that I didn't take more and suffer through that for longer. Especially since it didn't put me into labor, and probably wouldn't have if I had taken 2 oz or more.

Yesterday I did 8 hours of blue & black cohosh tincture, following the instructions here, but no baby with that either. At least it didn't make me sick.

Good luck either way!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Are you dilated/effaced at all? CO will only work if you are starting to go into labor on your own. I took it with DS when I was 1 day short of 40 wks and had been 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced for 3 wks. I went into labor that night. I took 2 1tbs doses 1 hour apart, just mixed it into some mashed banana.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I did it as a last resort at 42 weeks (would had to have a hospital induction at 42w1d).  Did it at 5am, baby at 7:15pm.  I was already 4cm and 100% effaced 2 days before.
  • Options

Is it other medical issues that they HAVE to induce you?

I'd try taking 100-300mg of evening primrose oil orally (pill form, available at any store usually) in the morning, and putting 1000mg in vaginally at night (be sure to wear a panty liner to catch any oil leakage.

Try eating spicy foods, walking, squatting, lunging. 

DO NOT TAKE CASTOR OIL. As desperate as you may be, you can't be THAT desperate. It can cause all sorts of digestive issues. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"