Baby Showers

Hate my ILs shower ideas.

Let me start by saying my ILs (as in, the whole extended family) have a very structured idea of how all things are done (everything from cooking a meal to planning a wedding), and it is IMPOSSIBLE to change their minds. 

I am 99.9% sure that they will want to throw us a baby shower after baby is here, because that is what is always done (or, if you ask one of them, "Because baby showers are always done that way, and if you're not from here you wouldn't understand"). **rolls eyes** Drives me insane.

I don't want to sound like an ungrateful b!tch, but I think having a shower beforehand makes much more sense. I would rather get a monitor, diapers, boppy, crib sheets, butt cream, etc than a million outfits and blankets! Can I just come out and say that if they ask about a shower down the road? Should I mention it somehow?

Re: Hate my ILs shower ideas.

• I don't really have any advice, but maybe your side of the family will have a shower for you, and they can do there's the more "normal" way.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable telling my IL side of the family how I want my shower to be. However, I would have no problem approaching the subject with my side, because we are very open with each other.

DS#1- Born August 2011 

BabyFruit Ticker

• I can't think of a non-offensive way to say "I want you to buy me what I want you to buy me."
  • Loading the player...
  • If they offer and ask when you want it, then you can suggest that you would like one before.  If they don't do it that way and don't want to, then let them throw you a shower/meet the baby party after.  There are plenty of things you will need after the baby is a few months old that you can register that you will find useful (highchair, sippy cups, bigger bottles/nipples, umbrella stroller, etc. if you are worried about getting things).  When the baby is really young they don't need much.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's great to have a shower where you get baby gear, but it's highly possible that you will be outfits and blankets no matter when the shower is.

Keep in mind that it is not anybody's responsibility but your own to buy the things your need for your baby.

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Well first, you're barely pregnant.  You're putting the cart before the horse. Get through your first trimester before you start worrying about these kinds of things. 

And quite honestly, your post sounds petty and spoiled. In a lot of cultures, baby showers are not held until after the baby is born.  Particularly in the Jewish culture, it is considered bad luck to have baby stuff in the house before the baby is born.  You are running the risk of insulting your in-laws about something trivial.  Not the way you need to start off with a new grandchild.

As previous posters have mentioned, it is your responsibility to provide for your child.  No matter when the shower is held, you will get a million outfits and blankets. No one has to get you anything (and if you keep up this attitude I can't see why they'd WANT to get you anything). 

In summary, a shower is a GIFT and your preemptive hissy fit about the kind of shower that they MIGHT throw you is misplaced and ungrateful.  Let's chalk it up to first tri hormone swings.

• You may not want to sound ungrateful but that's exactly how it's coming out.  You are not entitled to a shower.  It is something a family does to celebrate and it is a gift for the new family. 

Get over it, buy your own stuff and be thankful you have inlaws willing to put up with this.  I would love to have my IL's alive so that they could meet their first grandchild and drive me crazy with such horrible things like wanting to throw a shower after the baby is born based on their traditions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagedanilynn17:

Well first, you're barely pregnant.  You're putting the cart before the horse. Get through your first trimester before you start worrying about these kinds of things. 

And quite honestly, your post sounds petty and spoiled. In a lot of cultures, baby showers are not held until after the baby is born.  Particularly in the Jewish culture, it is considered bad luck to have baby stuff in the house before the baby is born.  You are running the risk of insulting your in-laws about something trivial.  Not the way you need to start off with a new grandchild.

As previous posters have mentioned, it is your responsibility to provide for your child.  No matter when the shower is held, you will get a million outfits and blankets. No one has to get you anything (and if you keep up this attitude I can't see why they'd WANT to get you anything). 

In summary, a shower is a GIFT and your preemptive hissy fit about the kind of shower that they MIGHT throw you is misplaced and ungrateful.  Let's chalk it up to first tri hormone swings.

All of this.  Have you ever asked why they do certain things the way they do?  Or did you just see it as them being rigid and stubborn because it wasn't the way YOU would do it.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagechillyupnorth:

I don't want to sound like an ungrateful b!tch,

Too late!  You should APPRECIATE the fact that they're even offering to have one for you when you're only 6 weeks along.

imagechillyupnorth:

I would rather get a monitor, diapers, boppy, crib sheets, butt cream, etc than a million outfits and blankets!

Are you also writing "No outfits and blankets!" on your invitation?  People are going to buy what they want to buy at baby showers for you regardless if it's before or after the little one arrives. 

And maybe they prefer to throw baby showers after the baby is born in case something does go wrong.  God forbid something happens to you or your baby.  I have a lot of friends who attend baby showers before LO arrives will only buy a special gift for the mother, and then a present for the LO when it arrives. 

• imagediscobelle:

If you're only six weeks along, and they haven't even offered to give the shower, I think it might be jumping the gun to hate on their ideas at this point?

Oh crap!  They haven't even offered to throw one yet?  So why are you even expecting it? 

• I kind of hope they agree to have the shower before baby arrives and you STILL get nothing but blankets and clothes.

Cheers!

2 girls and a dog
  • Be happy that they would want to throw you a shower in the first place. I am not trying to be mean at all, but some people get NO shower. Let your side of the family or your friends know the situation in a tactful way, who knows maybe they are planning you a shower before hand. I had 2 showers with my first son, one with Dh's side and the other was thrown by my mom and friends. Try not to worry about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagepam1005:
    If they offer and ask when you want it, then you can suggest that you would like one before.  If they don't do it that way and don't want to, then let them throw you a shower/meet the baby party after.  There are plenty of things you will need after the baby is a few months old that you can register that you will find useful (highchair, sippy cups, bigger bottles/nipples, umbrella stroller, etc. if you are worried about getting things).  When the baby is really young they don't need much.

I just have to say: your little one is absolutely gorgeous!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've hosted several baby showers and a couple have been after the baby was born (mother's choice for whatever reason).  If it is your in-laws tradition to have the shower after the baby is here then that is when they will have it (if they offer).  You can have more than one shower (if others offer) so possibly your family can have one before the baby has arrived.

Tiny babies really don't need a lot.  The hospital supplies you with a few things (diapers, paci, T-shirt, blanket, diaper cream, vaseline, wipes, bottles, formula, etc) and everything else you will use much more of then you would ever get from a shower anyway (more diapers, diaper cream, etc).  What you have to have is a carseat to bring the baby home in.  I would hope you would want to pick out your own "going home" outfit for the baby.  Some babies sleep in bassinets, baskets, PNP's, cribs, a drawer, etc. for the first few weeks. 

I agree with the other pps...you will get a lot of outfits even at a shower hosted before the birth of the baby.  People love to buy cute newborn outfits. 

I think you should just wait and see what happens if/when someone offers to host a shower for you.  You might find out they will actually ask you when you want it!

• You can always go Team Green and then buying outfits will be very difficult for your guests.  On the plus side you might get a ton of yellow and green onesies (at least, I see that as a positive.  You might not).
    Stephanie Hsu
  • I say be glad that they offered to do anything for you in the first place. Just because you are having a baby doesn't mean everyone has to buy what you want, or even throw you any type of shower.

If you off handedly object to their way of celebrating your baby, you are going to sound like an ungrateful snob.

• Be grateful you're pregnant and healthy.

The end.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1 - 8/27/10 - D&C 10/27/10 @ 13 weeks to Trisomy 18
    Missing our Angel Baby Gabriel
    BFP#2 - 3/18/11 - CP 3/19/11 BFP#3 - 4/27/11 - Due 1/9/12
  • OP - you have successfully caused my brain to explode. Congrats. You claim that you "hate your IL's shower ideas," and yet you're only 7 weeks, and "99.9% sure they will want to throw you a shower". I wouldn't blame them if they didn't throw you one. And if they do - clothes and blankets.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"