Georgia Babies

Give me your cold remedy (please!)

DD is two, and has a terrible cold. I have it too, and I've been doing all of the home remedies on myself, but I can't get L to accept them. She doesn't mind the vicks vapor rub, but she refuses to drink water with honey. I tried giving her a spoonful of honey at 5:30 this am to help with her cough, but she refused that. Then, when I gave myself some honey, I realized there's no way she would swallow it-it's far too thick of a consistency, and unless you really like honey (we don't) that stuff is hard to swallow. I only have it in the house for colds. I have the cool mist humidifier running. I've tried the vicks on her chest, neck, back, and feet with socks on, but her nose keeps running, she won't stop sneezing, and last night/this am., she couldn't stop coughing. Neither of us got much sleep at all. DH is OOT for work for at least another week. I swear, the only thing worse than taking care of children alone for days on end, one being a sick toddler, and the other an infant, is having to do it alone, while you are sick as well. DH was just OOT for a month and spent Christmas with us, then turned right around and left again on Sunday. Yesterday, we got sick. Ugh... I've had next to no sleep with this virus in the house, and I want Lily to feel better... So please, is there anything that you give your LO to eat/drink that they really like the taste of/tolerate, that helps with coughing and sneezing? What other home remedies do you have? TIA and thanks for listening to me vent a little...

Re: Give me your cold remedy (please!)

• Saline and suction.  Try the little noses brand saline spray in the can- it works best.  Spray it in then suction it out w/ a bulb sucker- the hospital ones work best if you have one?  Do it multiple times day and use a humidifier at night.  Its no fun, but it does help.

• imageslwprincess:
    Saline and suction.  Try the little noses brand saline spray in the can- it works best.  Spray it in then suction it out w/ a bulb sucker- the hospital ones work best if you have one?  Do it multiple times day and use a humidifier at night.  Its no fun, but it does help.
    Thx, I've been doing that with Leah bc she has been congested for weeks. I dont think Lily will let me do it with her, but its worth a shot...
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry you're feeling so terrible.

When my DD is truly miserable in the nose, I pretty much force the Simply Saline on her, and it helps almost immediately.  I HATE the crying and the fight and the physical force of it all, but it is in her best interests, so I do it. Simply Saline has a great delivery system - it gets way up into the nasal passages. 

Two is old enough for a little Benadryl - if her nose is running this might help. Call your pedi for the dosage. 

Also, Vick's makes a vapo machine that you can put little menthol pads in.  Sometimes we put this on for DD at night when she's really congested. They sell it at Target and CVS.

Good luck! 

• imageto-be-lam:

Sorry you're feeling so terrible.

When my DD is truly miserable in the nose, I pretty much force the Simply Saline on her, and it helps almost immediately.  I HATE the crying and the fight and the physical force of it all, but it is in her best interests, so I do it. Simply Saline has a great delivery system - it gets way up into the nasal passages. 

Two is old enough for a little Benadryl - if her nose is running this might help. Call your pedi for the dosage. 

Also, Vick's makes a vapo machine that you can put little menthol pads in.  Sometimes we put this on for DD at night when she's really congested. They sell it at Target and CVS.

Good luck! 

Thank you! I appreciate it!
  • We have two sick kids and two sick adults in our house right now too. It's so hard! Hyland's sells a cough syrup that I've used with huge success and the kids like the way it tastes. I think Simply Saline gets up in there better than the Little Noses. I don't know the dynamic between your kids, but if I have a hard time getting Ethan to do something, Audrey will usually be able to coax him. She taught him how to do the saline by himself. Maybe that would work for you?

Otherwise, I think you've tried everything that I've ever done. We also give tea (camomile) with honey that Audrey likes. We started that by having a little tea party and now she'll ask for it in a regular coffee cup without all the hoopla.

I hope you feel better soon and get some sleep. 

• Oh, I'm sorry. I just realized that your 2-yr-old is the older one.
  • Simply Saline also makes a baby/kids sized spray.  Have you tried the Vicks plug-ins (think Glade plug-ins, but with Vicks smell).  Pediacare also makes a version that doubles as a night light.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"