Georgia Babies
Options

Antibiotics and pregnant

Hi,

Will anyone who used antibiotics during pregnancy chime in? It turns out I have a bladder infection (group b strep which is common but not in the bladder) and they want to treat it with clindamycin (I'm allergic to penicellen). I'm very leary to take anything while pregnant but bladder and UTI infections can cause preterm later and possibly worse problems so the benefits outweigh the risks. It's three pills a day for 7 days. Any experiances?

I am also still nursing but usually only once in the middle of the night and maybe once during the day so I can space when I take the pills out so there is a ton of time in between. (She also only nurses for about five minutes and gets maybe an ounce if that). 

Re: Antibiotics and pregnant

• Options
    I don't know that one but I have been on amoxycillin twice during this pregnancy, once for 10 day and once for 7. If your OB is okay with you taking it then you definitely should.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hey girl!  I took clindamycin when I was pregnant with Emma for a really bad sinus infection.  In fact, I also took a z-pack at one point.  I had some really weird side effects from the z-pack (which I have taken several times before with no issue).  I had a bad rash, itching, etc.  Some really bad tummy upset as well, but nothing too bad.  Emma turned out pretty well, so I'm sure you're fine!  My doc made sure to pull out her drug book before prescribing both, and both were class 2, I believe - so safe for pregnant and nursing women.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageandrea922:
    I don't know that one but I have been on amoxycillin twice during this pregnancy, once for 10 day and once for 7. If your OB is okay with you taking it then you definitely should.

ditto this.  I had to take antibiotics during both pregnancies.  Both times it was definitely necessary and my OB said they were safe and the risks of not treating the infection were much more serious. 

• Options

Thanks! I just took the first pill. I think I've had this infection since my last appointment but they did not notice since I wasn't complaining.Hopefully this will get rid of it.

P.S.

Susan, Emma did turn out great and I have seen that in person so that makes me even more confidant especially since you took the same drug! Thanks!!

• Options
    imagecoffeekitten:

Thanks! I just took the first pill. I think I've had this infection since my last appointment but they did not notice since I wasn't complaining.Hopefully this will get rid of it.

P.S.

Susan, Emma did turn out great and I have seen that in person so that makes me even more confidant especially since you took the same drug! Thanks!!

You're so funny! ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I took antibiotics while in the hospital for two weeks after I ruptured and before I delivered. Like you said, the implications of an infection far outweigh the risks associated with that particular drug. Oh...and ds is just coming off a course of the one you were prescribed (he's allergic to penicillin too) and he had no noticeable side effects or stomach upset.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just wanted to let you know I took that while nursing Cason and there were not problems. Pediatrician was ok with me taking it while nursing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had group b strep with Noah.  They caught it really early so I was on antibiotics for a little more than half of my pregnancy.  He turned out just fine. :-) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"