Special Needs
Options

Just Stressed

I am totally stressed out because my 16  month old son is not walking yet.  He attends PT  and he is double jointed like his sister.   Its like all the responsibility is on me and i can not take  it no  more.  I really want my son to start  walking...he is linked with services but he is on a wait list to receive these  services.  What am i to do?

Re: Just Stressed

• Options
    My 16-month-old daughter is not walking either.  She has low muscle tone and is extremely flat-footed.  But she was not approved for PT through EI because she has typical movement patterns and she can stand unsupported for several seconds.  She is taking a step or two here and there, and I know she will start walking eventually.  I am concerned because the plan is start her in a speech therapy group in February, and she needs to be walking to join the group.  She was already rejected from a feeding therapy group because she doesn't walk.
  • Options

imagelujain:
    My 16-month-old daughter is not walking either.  She has low muscle tone and is extremely flat-footed.  But she was not approved for PT through EI because she has typical movement patterns and she can stand unsupported for several seconds.  She is taking a step or two here and there, and I know she will start walking eventually.  I am concerned because the plan is start her in a speech therapy group in February, and she needs to be walking to join the group.  She was already rejected from a feeding therapy group because she doesn't walk.

I am just being nosey here, but why does she have to walk for speech and feeding therapy?  My DD did not walk until 18 months but received feeding and speech therapy before that.  What is their rationale for connecting feeding/speech with walking?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

She needs to walk to join the feeding and speech groups.  She can still get one-on-one OT or speech if she's not walking.  I know the feeding group walks from room to room, and for some reason they didn't want her crawling along with all these walkers.  So we are in the process of setting up one-on-one OT.  I did want to start her in the groups because I think the therapy would be more fun, interesting, and effective for her than being one-on-one with an adult therapist.

• Options

Hi,

I understand you may want your son to walk, but is it really that big a deal that he isn't yet?  Is there a specifi reason you are concerned (does he crawl, sit?)

What do you mean, "All the responsibility is on you?"  I hope no one is implying it's your fault he isn't walking! 

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding your post.

• Options

I truly don't mean to be rude but perhaps you would be less stressed if you had some perspective. Your child will walk one day; you know he will. There are moms on this board who have children who probably will never walk. My almost 3 year old is not walking yet though I know she will; I just don't know when.

I too use to be stressed about that fact she is not walking yet until I took time to relish all the things that she is doing. And when I see my friends' kids who have CP and are always confined to a wheelchair- I feel so fortunate that at least my child can crawl and cruise.

It's not your fault he is isn't walking and he is ONLY 16 months. And if the fact that he is double jointed the most serious issue he has than you are one of the luckiest moms I know. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My DD was just starting to pull up at 16 months, and now she is walking at 18 months.  Your LO will catch on.  I know it's hard to deal with other people assuming that it is your fault.  I had people make that assumption all the time...like I just left her in her crib all day or something and never gave her the chance to learn to walk.  You just have to try your best to ignore them and focus on how happy your LO makes you.

My DD still has feeding issues, even though she is walking, and I know people think it's strange that she still eats baby food and drinks from a bottle, but I have to just try to ignore the stares and questions and do what my DD's doctor and therapists say is best for her.

• Options
    our son just started walking at 2 years 7 months due to low muscle tone.   Be happy knowing that your LO will walk, like a pp said there are plenty of parents who are struggling knowing their LO will never walk.  That being said it isn't your fault, just try to encourage her and help her out.  Can she walk behind of toy, if so encourage her to do that alot, as well as walking along furniture, or while you are holding her fingers.  All of these things will help strengthen your LO's muscles to help with walking.
  • Options

I don't know what you mean by the "its like all the responsibility is on me".  Is it that you feel that people are blaming you that your LO isn't walking yet?  Or is it that no one is helping you (either willingly or able to)? 

Are there other issues going on with your LO that has you concerned?  Is the no walking why your LO has PT?  What other services are you on a wait list to receive?

FWIW, DS2 has CP.  He is almost 15mos old and can't even sit on his own yet let alone walk.  Try to focus on the positive things that your LO CAN do.  Walking will come in time but I'm assuming that your LO doesn't have any other major issues that would rule out walking.  If people are causing you to be stressed out by their outward or silent judgements, try not to let it bother you - definitely easier said then done.  Good luck to you and your LO and I hope he reaches his walking milestone soon!

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"