TTC After a Loss 6 Months+

Local news story re: IF

Just saw a teaser for the local news tonight about "hopeless" couples improving their odds of conceiving.  I can't wait to hear their suggestions...relax, avoid stress, acupuncture, lose weight???  I'm sure it will be all of the usual BS, but I just set the dvr so I can see if they offer some brilliant new treatment.  I'll keep you posted...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Local news story re: IF

• Ohh... I'm excited to see what they say. What channel is it on?
  • It's PHL 17 - the 10pm news.  Do you get that station?  Not my usual news, but I happened to see the commercial.
  • Loading the player...
  • We don't because we have DirecTv but if we had cable we would... weird, I know.
  • I didn't realize you were close enough to get it.  I'll let you know if it's anything worthwhile.
  • Ok - so that had nothing to do with what I thought.  It was about a 10 second clip saying that single embryo transfers for IVF may increase success vs. 2 or more embryos.  It reduced the risk of pre-term births and low-weight babies by a third in this study.  There were no other details about the study. 

I love hearing this stuff a few days after I transfer 2! 

• Okay believe it or not I read this article or something similar. That one perfect embryo was just as good as 2 or 3 good embryos. I forget where I read it though... let me go look. See what I can find.
  • That would make sense.  I think the best embryos have a better chance of implanting.  As you go down the grading scale, they fragment and degrade so there is less chance for implantation.  So one that is perfect probably has a better chance to implant than ones that aren't as good. 

They didn't mention anything at all about egg quality, embryo grade, multiple births, age of the parents, etc.  I think 10 seconds may have been a generous estimate for how long this story was...very responsible reporting.

• <---------------- clearly responded to the OP before reading the follow-ups! Durrrr.

You're totally right, rjl, there are so many factors that go into deciding how many to transfer, it's easy and tempting to oversimplify it because the "what ifs" are endless. 

• Okay I found the article that they are referencing, I think, because it was only published 5 day ago... Here is the abstract.

https://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2010/12/16/humrep.deq352.abstract 

I can get in big trouble for posting the entire article, sorry.

• I bet this is the study that they are referencing.  What I read there seems to ignore the fact that you don't always get embryos that will make it to freezing.  There are just so many variables that go into the decision. 
  • imagerjl07:
    I bet this is the study that they are referencing.  What I read there seems to ignore the fact that you don't always get embryos that will make it to freezing.  There are just so many variables that go into the decision. 

EXACTLY! No worries  to you. They did what was right for you! And it also said that it wasn't that single egg transfers led to pregnancy/birth more, it was that you got more chances per egg retrieval with more transfers! 

• There was a similar story on my local news about this study.

What annoyed me is that the doctor they interviewed says, "you're not 'wasting' embryos by only transferring one. You can simply use the frozen embryos for subsequent single-embryo IVF attempts, if necessary." 

Oh. Yeah. 

Because EVERYONE has tens of thousands of dollars lying around to do multiple single embryo transfers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelindsay.lou:

There was a similar story on my local news about this study.

What annoyed me is that the doctor they interviewed says, "you're not 'wasting' embryos by only transferring one. You can simply use the frozen embryos for subsequent single-embryo IVF attempts, if necessary." 

Oh. Yeah. 

Because EVERYONE has tens of thousands of dollars lying around to do multiple single embryo transfers.

Exactly!  Frozen transfers are cheaper, but still a few thousand dollars a pop in most cases.  Also, making it to freeze and then being successfully thawed is not guaranteed either.  This study is assuming way too many perfect outcomes. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"