January 2011 Moms

If you've had or have swelling in your feet and ankles??

What has your doctor told you to do for it? My ankles got really swollen the last two days and I didn't get this when I was pregnant with DD that I can remember. Just curious if there's anything I should or could be doing about it. Thanks!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you've had or have swelling in your feet and ankles??

• I have swelling in my calves and feet - All I can really do is keep my feet up whenever possible, try to keep my salt intake down, and keep drinking water.
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• My doctor told me I could get compression stockings which you can pretty much find at any drug store.  I never went and got any though... basically I drink a ton of water and keep my feet up as much as possible and that seems to help.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • This has been my new preg joy of the week...I have tiny hams for feet! lol

I think all you can do is exactly what the pp said!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ditto was PP said about ankles/feet. For my hands she said soak them in warm water. For me, my hands get so swollen that they hurt.
  • I have some significant swelling too. Doc said to use compression stockings (put them on in the morning when you get out of bed), drink more water, try to cut back on salty foods and raise legs above the heart. I found that a half hour foot massage relieved a lot of the swelling- and feels great! Good luck
  • She just told me to drink lots of water and increase my protein!  

• Ditto everyone else - but mention it to your doc at your next appointment. My dr said some swelling is normal for all pregnant women but extreme swelling, or swelling + high BP (+ protein in urine) can be a sign of pre-eclampsia.

I had to buy a new pair of shoes today because my feet are too swollen for my regular shoes and last week my wedding ring got stuck on my finger.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • My ankles and calves are getting swollen.  They are more swollen now than they had been in the past.  I put my feet up as much as possible and I try every day to reduce my salt intake.  My dr. didn't seem overly concerned about the swelling other than to say that I needed to reduce my salt intake as much as possible.
  • I'm in the same boat, however, I've had this issue for a while now.  Blood pressure is great so my doctor won't put my on bed rest so I continue to work 40 hours a week.  Anyway, she asked me if I'd been avoiding caffeine, when I said 99% of the time; she suggested that I allow myself at least one caffeinated beverage a day.  Caffeine will act as a diuretic and allow you to "pee out" the water you're retaining, allowing the edema (swelling) to go down easier.  Make sure you still drink plenty of water.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary
  • imageMrsLynnyD:
    Ditto was PP said about ankles/feet. For my hands she said soak them in warm water. For me, my hands get so swollen that they hurt.

Ditto this. 

Since being on bedrest, my leg/foot swelling has gone way down, but my hands are still swollen and painful all day long.  It's so awful. :(

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Reducing sugar & salt intake, and drinking umpteen amounts of water and laying on your left side really can help.
  • I'm having tons of swelling also.  It helps to drink tons of water and also increase my protein intake.  Also taking a walk helps relieve the swelling almost instantly since it helps the circulation.  This is one pregnancy symptom I could do without!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only had swelling a few times one week, and it always happened towards the end of the day and then by the morning, it was gone.  Mine was due to sitting on a chair all day long at work - I was working 10 - 12 hrs a day that week and slept maybe 6 hrs a night.

As soon as I started to take breaks and walks, drink more water, and get more rest on the weekend, the swelling went down. 

That was about 4 weeks ago - recently I got it again, and I followed the same routine to walk/drink/rest, and the swelling went down.  I only got swollen in my feet and ankles. 

• Im 39 weeks pregnant and for the last month I have had really bad swelling.  My doctor told me it is caused by your kidneys and that all your major veins etc. are on your right side and sometimes can't get blood flowing properly.  Lay on your left side for 20 minutes every 3 to 4 hours and it will keep the swelling down.  That should help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"