January 2011 Moms
Options

Bumpers

First I would like to apologize if this topic has already been discussed at length- I have trouble searching for things on here.

We ordered a bedding set with a bumper. When we took two classes at the hospital (CPR and Baby Essentials) they told us not to use bumper because of SIDS. I asked if I could use it when baby gets older and they said they would climb on it and throw themselves over the side of crib.

I called the store to see if I could return it and she told me not to use it for first six months, but that the baby might need it after that if she rolls a lot and bumps her head.

I am so confused! Any insight is appreciated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bumpers

• Options

The general feeling is that bumpers are a SIDS risk b/c it restricts airflow in the crib & baby can get caught between the mattress & bumper and then suffocate.  We're not using ours as a bumper - we got a breathable bumper (mesh) to use instead so LO can't get himself stuck between the crib rails.  We're using the bumpers that came with the bedding as padding along the top of the crib, I'll see if I have a picture of it.  Others have re-purposed the bumpers as wall art or other decorations.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you're comfortable with doing - no government agency in the US has said that crib bumpers are unsafe, and many people use them with no ill effects.  If you're comfortable with it, then use it, if not, don't (or find another use).  I have a friend who put the bumper in on the wall side of the crib & the two short sides, but left it off on the "front" of the crib to help with the airflow issue, and said she'll reevaluate the need for the bumper when her LO starts to roll over, etc, where rolling into the bumper might become an issue.

• Options
    They can restrict air flow and allow build up of carbon dioxide.  But they are also a suffocation hazard.  I actually know someone IRL whose baby girl rolled up against one and stopped breathing.  They were able to revive her with CPR and she's ok, but super scary.  I'm using breathable bumpers.  They keep baby's arms and legs out of the slats but allow air flow and LO can't suffocate against them.  Many moms that bought bedding sets are using them as wall art. 
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

In Canada, they say don't use bumpers at all.  They restrict the airflow in the crib which can lead to SIDS.  It also said that they do very little to protect the baby from bumping their head on the crib.  An infant cannot generate enough force for them to have any real benefit.  

I just looked this up the other day because I was not aware of this either.  We are just going without. 

• Options
    imageReneeDear:

In Canada, they say don't use bumpers at all.  They restrict the airflow in the crib which can lead to SIDS.  It also said that they do very little to protect the baby from bumping their head on the crib.  An infant cannot generate enough force for them to have any real benefit.  

I just looked this up the other day because I was not aware of this either.  We are just going without. 

Basically this. I haven't heard any stories of babies rolling into the side of the crib and/or getting their limbs caught that have resulted in death. While the statistics I've seen on infant deaths as the result of bumpers are quite low, I don't see the point of getting something extra if there's even a little risk of it.

I ended up just getting a bed skirt separately from a bedding set because we weren't going to use the bumper and we won't use the blanket until the baby is older.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options
    I plan to keep it on the crib and take it off at night when LO goes to sleep. It's cute and pulls the room together. I initially planned to use it until someone on here posted an article from the front page of her newspaper really talking about the risks. Not worth it to me. I mean, LO will be in bassinet for a few months anyway so it'll just stay on there cute til then. If taking it off each night gets annoying I'll leave it off when the time comes.
  • Options

Ditoo PP re the SIDS risk. They are not worth using, IMO. We have a breathable bumper we will use IF we feel it's necessary at some point.

Check this out- https://www.chicagotribune.com/health/ct-met-crib-bumper-react-20101221,0,4018419.story

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"