January 2011 Moms

My January baby is here! Long (sorry)

Almost two weeks ago, on 12-10-10, I had my 34 week baby, Evan Mitchell (my due date was 1/16/11).  I had chronic hypertension before the pregnancy began and asthma, and later developed GD.  I was being monitored super closely - NST and BPPs twice a week.  Every week Evan wouldn't perform stellarly on one of the two tests.

I was still working but had cut back my hours and my work load.  So I left work to head over to my MFM scheduled testing.  For once, the BPP and the NST looked great.  I knew we were planning on inducing early, so when the MFM came in and said "looks like we're going to have this baby this month", I agreed.  Little did I know he meant then.  My blood pressure was up, way up.  But I wasn't too concerned.  I figured we'd adjust my medication again and I'd go on my way.  He kept talking and taking my blood pressure.  And it went up and up.  Finally he said we were having the baby right then.  I was speechless.  He got called out of the room and came back.  Again, it wasn't sinking in.  I figured we could schedule for another day or two.  I had things to take care of! LOL.  He left to call my OB and came back.  At that point it was all I could do to hold my tears back.  I couldn't get ahold of DH, I was terrified of my baby being born at 34 weeks.  He explained I was in serious danger if I didn't deliver immediately.  I'd be hospitalized and start the induction that night and have him the next day.  They let me call DH from their phone since my cell wouldn't work and wheeled me over to the hospital from their office.

I got hooked up, saw my OB who was going to deliver me, my MFM stopped by again.  And we started the induction.  DH couldn't stay that night because we didn't have back up babysitting for our son on short notice.  My mom flew in the next morning.

Everything was going well, had the epidural, was dilating like I was supposed to.  I was put on magnesium to prevent seizures due to my  blood pressure but even that wasn't horrible.  Around 1 p.m. I was checked and was 3 cm, but the OB said he stretched me to 4.  Shortly after that, the epidural stopped working on one side, and my oxygen levels dropped.  I was put on oxygen for my levels, then the baby's heart rate kept dropping.  Within an hour I went from 4 -10 cms.  There were so many people in my room trying to get everything stabelized.  We were waiting for my OB to show up and I knew it was going to be an emergency c-section.  But when he showed up, Evan was crowning.  So I literally knew I had to push him out then and there.  There were also readying the vacuum to get him out and get him stabilized.  So first push - I start and can't remember what happened next.  I woke up disoriented with about 20 faces staring down at me.  I had no clue where I was, what was going on, etc.  Then it all came back to me.  The doctor and the nurses explained later that I had a seizure.  Despite being on magnesium, I still had a seizure.  Once I was stabelized again I had to push.  So next push - Evan Mitchell was born!  They whisked him away but I heard him crying nice and strong.  And he had been wrapped in the cord on his arms, legs and neck.  He was quite tangled.

Luckily - he weighed 6, 2 oz and was 19.25 inches long!  He was quite strong.  They kept him in the special care nursery for the first 24 hours and had a few low blood sugars, but otherwise is perfect.  He got to go home with me two days later.  I spent the majority of the rest of my hospital stay on magnesium to prevent additional seizures.  I just feel so happy that Evan is healthy and perfect. 

We're still waiting for my BP to go down, but having a preemie, I'm on house arrest anyway.  Evan has had some problems gaining weight, but other than that, he's doing well. 

DH and I are done having kiddos now.  Which makes me a little sad.  But with my first son, I hemorraghed and almost ended up with a hysterectomy.  I also had postpartum pre-e.  This time around I had pre-e, which developed into eclampsia.  But seeing both of my beautiful boys, this is why I did it. 

Good luck to all the rest of the January moms. 

Re: My January baby is here! Long (sorry)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"