Baby Showers

How to avoid buying terrible gifts

https://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/how-to-avoid-giving-terrible-gifts/1ioj8cu55?q=Holiday+gifts&rel=msn&from=en-us_msnhp&form=msnhed&gt1=42007

So I saw this today on msn.com/bingo.com and thought this would be useful. 

There are 4 steps

Gift Receipts

Discriminating Taste

Tact

Consideration

So how were the people in your life regarding baby gifts? 

Gift Receipts--I will be honest that not a lot of people gave gift receipts.  However, I was lucky, and the stores that I returned items to gave me merchandise credit as long as the people kept the price tag on the item.  Kohl's--great policy-easy return---I know a lot of people complain about Target--since I had a baby registry at Target--and if I really pushed it, and the person kept on the price tag, then again I was able to get merchandise credit.  I got a lot of baby boy clothes (just to note, I did keep some of the baby boy clothes)---But baby boy clothes were the top item that I was mostly likely to return--just to either get another size that worked better (because I had too many baby boy clothes in one size) or to get other items like diapers (a lot of people do not like to give diapers--good diapers were a luxury for me though) or other baby items that would be useful. 

I like giving gift receipts myself.  I know how it is easy to get attached to a gift that you give and hope that you will get a reaction that you gave the most fabulous gift ever.  However, I also know that I have to trust the person that I give to--that they know what they want and need--and that they are able to either use that gift that I give them, or they can get something else that works better. 

Most gift givers were really good with discriminating taste, tact, and consideration.  Again, I was really lucky.  Some people waited to send gifts until after my baby came home from the hospital--one person sent him a preemie size baby boy outfit, and he was 6 lbs, and he could not wear it.  So that is like sending someone a small size, and that person is a medium (and it is not like he was going to get any smaller).  As well, I got a burp cloth that was personalized "Aiden", and my baby boy's name is "Aidan".  I guess I just need to find someone else in the community who spells their baby boy's name Aiden.  Overall, I was really lucky--I was really blessed with the baby boy gifts that we received--a lot of heart and thought went into all of the gifts. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.

Re: How to avoid buying terrible gifts

• imageIrishSapphire:
    .  As well, I got a burp cloth that was personalized "Aiden", and my baby boy's name is "Aidan".  I guess I just need to find someone else in the community who spells their baby boy's name Aiden. 

This makes me laugh.  I just got an adorable fleece hat that says "Aiden" on it.  My son's name (like yours!) is Aidan Thomas.  I actually had one person remark that it was "close enough, right?"

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• thats funny to me because my husbands aunt (who is the sweetest lady ever) calls the baby Eva and her name is Ava. Should be interesting at the shower or when she is addressing cards and things like that. =)
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"