VBAC
Options

Question! (Sorry if it's a repeat!)

... there are just so many posts! (That's a lot to try and go through for me, with my toddler running around.)

For ladies who have already been told they can do a VBAC or have already had one... Around what week is it that your Doc/MW will confirm that a VBAC is "a go." 

I've already been told that I'm a perfect candidate, and that our hospital supports them, and I'm so excited about that. (My c/s itself went fine... but I had complications afterward, and it was MISERABLE. It put me in the hospital for an extra month, mostly without my baby!) But my doctor didn't tell me how far along I'll have to be before we can know more positively that I'll be able to try one for sure. DS was a breech baby, and we knew that from about 25-27 weeks, and could never get him to turn. Given that this (hopefully) isn't a problem with this LO,  when will they officially say "A VBAC is looking possible."

Any insight I could get on this would be amazing! I'm too antsy to wait for 5 weeks to ask my doctor again! (And hopefully get an answer!) Last time, all he said was "we'll talk about that later." Ugh! I don't want an exact time, as I'm sure it could depend on the person... but just a roundabout ballpark would be nice, you know?! 

Photobucket

Re: Question! (Sorry if it's a repeat!)

• Options
    Well unless a complication comes up, I'm allowed to go to 42w.  So basically it would be the same as my first pregnancy and I switched practices b/c my old midwife had too many contingencies that didn't fall in line with ACOG recommendations.   My old midwife said the "we'll talk about that later" which should have been my first red flag, but then we had the big discussion later and I switched at 24w to a new group with a great VBAC track record.  GL!
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't see why you would need to wait.  Assuming there are no complications that arise in your pregnancy, you should already know if you are a candidate for VBAC.  Your doctor should already be able to tell you that.

Honestly, the way your doctor is telling you that you can talk about it later worries me a little.  It sounds like he might not be supportive of your VBAC plans and is putting off that conversation.  My OB and I talked about VBAC in depth at my very first prenatal appointment and he told me right there that he thought I was a great candidate for it.  So unless something unexpected arises during my pregnancy, that is the plan.  No need to get an official OK at a certain date.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I always considered doing a VBAC to be my choice, not my provider's decision.

It was always assumed by my MW that I would have a VBAC. Obviously, if something came up in the course of my pg that would have made me need a c-section, then we would have changed plans, but I was low-risk the whole time. The only time I got really worried was at the end, bc I went over 41 weeks, and my due date was fuzzy anyway. Buuut, my MW was very laidback about it, and used the later due date, so I was able to go into labor on my own. hth 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    A VBAC is a go for me as long as I don't have any complications that would make any other woman an automatic c/s (breech baby/baby in distress or other emergency, etc).  My doctor is comfortable going to my 41st week, although I have some wiggle room.  My doctor is open to induction options, but does depend slightly on if we have a supportive OB at the hospital or not (I'm going with a FP doctor this time around).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I appreciate the help ladies... but I don't think you guys were all getting my question.

They are completely supportive of me trying for a VBAC. That is not the issue. Another example (and the only way I can think of to explain it so that you understand: I saw someone post in here a couple days ago, and the title was something along the lines of: "VBAC confirmed at 28 weeks! " 

I"m not asking when I can actually have the VBAC itself... or needing it/having it approved.

I'm asking: when will the doctor know that my chances of having a VBAC are most likely. (Like that previous poster... she was told at 28 weeks, that she's had no complications, and the baby seems to be in a position that will be good for a VBAC.) Does that make more sense? Is it always around 28 weeks? 

I know what complications won't allow me to have a vbac... like a breech baby, and such. (My DS was breech.), I just want to get an idea of when dr's usually give you a more positive thumbs up, that it looks like the vbac you wanted will come true. (barring any last minute problems, of course.) 

Photobucket
  • Options
    imageShangriLaRose:

I'm asking: when will the doctor know that my chances of having a VBAC are most likely. (Like that previous poster... she was told at 28 weeks, that she's had no complications, and the baby seems to be in a position that will be good for a VBAC.) Does that make more sense? Is it always around 28 weeks? 

I know what complications won't allow me to have a vbac... like a breech baby, and such. (My DS was breech.), I just want to get an idea of when dr's usually give you a more positive thumbs up, that it looks like the vbac you wanted will come true. (barring any last minute problems, of course.) 

Sorry to midunderstand your original post, but my MW was positive about my VBAC my whole pg. We would talk about positioning when I was further along (like 30+ weeks), but she never told me at x weeks that a VBAC was definitely possible. hth 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imageShangriLaRose:

I guess I've always thought of my VBAC as a normal pregnancy - my doctor would never tell a patient at a certain time that a vaginal birth looks like it will happen (or not) routinely at a certain week, so I don't see anything that would change that for a VBAC.  

As of two weeks ago, this baby isn't in an ideal position for birth (although not breech), but my doctor isn't concerned at all, because even if it was, they still have enough room to change fairly easily at this point, so she gave no indication that it would have any bearing on my VBAC chances.

Does that make sense?  Really, once you get the initial ok from your doctor, I can't see anything, barring a normal pg complication that would change the likelihood of your chance to VBAC, if you have a truly VBAC friendly doc who doesn't plan on giving you a growth u/s or some other qualification that you must 'pass'. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagepapagena:

I guess I've always thought of my VBAC as a normal pregnancy - my doctor would never tell a patient at a certain time that a vaginal birth looks like it will happen (or not) routinely at a certain week, so I don't see anything that would change that for a VBAC.  

This is the same for me. My VBAC has been considered "a go" since just after my c/s. A doctor told me before I was discharged that there was no reason to think I would need a c/s again in the future, and that just? never changed. 

• Options

Thank you ladies! That all makes a lot of sense. I just wasn't sure if I should be looking to XX date to see if I would be getting a "go ahead" or something. The reason it hasn't been talked about in-depth just yet, is because of how the military medical system works around here. I just finally had my first Maternal-Fetal medicine appointment yesterday. (I have to see them because of the complications I had AFTER my c/s w/ DS.)  My first official OB/MW appointment (as I get both, here), is on the 7th. So we'll be getting "to the meat of it" then. Up until now, I've been seeing NP's at my regular clinic. (I hate how they have this stuff set up, but I don't really get much of a choice with our insurance.)

But I did tell the MFM doctor I saw yesterday that this is what I want, and that I'd been previously told that our hospital supports VBAC,  (I'll be working with him and his partner the rest of the pregnancy, along with the OB and MW I'm assigned at the next appointment), and he said  the hospital does support it, and he sees no reason we should have a problem there, and that he will be talking with my OB/MW after my next visit, so we can all get coordinated. =)

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"