Pregnant after 35

Fainted yesterday... bad on my part

So yesterday, I spent the evening in the emergency room after embarrassingly fainting on my way out of work.  Baby and I are fine, though the culprit was dehydration, low blood sugar and lack of sleep (all sound avoidable on my part).   I?ve gotten past the stupidity part of making a fool of myself (being rushed to the hospital, the work gossip etc) now I?m trying to figure out my diet so this doesn?t happen again.  My regular doctor has been notified and I?m waiting to hear back from her.  Can you give me pointers in the meantime that you have found successful on foods that work best to keep you going throughout the day?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Delivered 3 weeks and 2 days early via emergency c/s due to pre-e

Anniversary
Trying to Conceive Ticker image

Re: Fainted yesterday... bad on my part

• I time my meals - breakfast at 8, snack at 10, lunch at 12, snack at 2:30, snack when I get home around 5, and dinner around 7.  I eat all day long. 

The key (for me) are the choices:  snacks are fruit or veggie, meals are protein and veggie with a small starch/carb thrown in.  I've been eating a lot of grapefruit, apples, pickles (cliche, I know), olives, peas, broccoli, and asparagus.  My main source of protein is chicken. 

As for the water - keep a bottle of water with you at all times.  Make it a HABIT to sip from it and refill it several times a day.  put some lemon in it if it helps but water is KEY to hydration (obviously) but will also make for good habits after the baby.  Remember too that soda and coffee are DEhydrating and you need to drink double the water for each amount of DEhydrating liquid you drink.  (Generally). 

Just my own .02 - and even I dont' follow it 100% of the time ;) (yes, I AM eating marshmellows for breakfast this morning - and NO they don't fit in any food group.  But they TASTE good and I'm flat out of oatmeal at the moment)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I time my meals - breakfast at 8, snack at 10, lunch at 12, snack at 2:30, snack when I get home around 5, and dinner around 7.  I eat all day long. 

The key (for me) are the choices:  snacks are fruit or veggie, meals are protein and veggie with a small starch/carb thrown in.  I've been eating a lot of grapefruit, apples, pickles (cliche, I know), olives, peas, broccoli, and asparagus.  My main source of protein is chicken. 

As for the water - keep a bottle of water with you at all times.  Make it a HABIT to sip from it and refill it several times a day.  put some lemon in it if it helps but water is KEY to hydration (obviously) but will also make for good habits after the baby.  Remember too that soda and coffee are DEhydrating and you need to drink double the water for each amount of DEhydrating liquid you drink.  (Generally). 

Just my own .02 - and even I dont' follow it 100% of the time ;) (yes, I AM eating marshmellows for breakfast this morning - and NO they don't fit in any food group.  But they TASTE good and I'm flat out of oatmeal at the moment)  *grin*

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess after reading your schedule, I don?t think I?m following a good routine at all-very little snacks and fruit to hold me over till the next meal time.  Explains why I haven't gained weight the last two visits, though I never felt hungry, just a little lightheaded.  To be very honest I was doing just the three basic meal times and a snack at home.  I did, however, think I was doing well with the water intake (marking the plastic water bottle each time I refilled) but I guess I have to really get it together fast.  I'll try your breakout times and hopefully that will do the trick.  Thanks for sharing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Delivered 3 weeks and 2 days early via emergency c/s due to pre-e

Anniversary
    Trying to Conceive Ticker image
  • How scary for you! I'm glad that you and baby are ok.

On thing my ob suggested was making sure that I have protein every time I eat, if it's just some cheese (I love string cheese) or nuts. This has really helped keep me going. I also eat many small meals rather than 3 large ones. This also has helped. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"