January 2011 Moms
Options

Non-clicky Poll for Jan Moms with outside babies :)

We have a few of you now and I had some questions for you all.  Hope that's ok. Any additional information you have is always welcome.

1.  What was the biggest surprise with your labor and delivery?

2.  Hospital tips:  what thing did you bring that you were so happy you had with you, good tips for being more comfortable for L&D and your recovery, anything you forgot to bring that you wish you had?

3.  Hows the post-partem recovery going? Physically and emotionally?  Any baby blues yet?

4.  Feeding tips/thoughts/experience?  Formula, bottle or breast.

5.  Best baby product that you are so happy you bought ahead of time?

6.  What baby product didn't you buy that you rushed out to get after LO got here?

7.  Other survival tips?

Thanks Jan Moms (of outside babies) Big Smile

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Re: Non-clicky Poll for Jan Moms with outside babies :)

• Options
    imageizzourclue:

I'm a 2nd time mom so I can answer most of these... 

1.  What was the biggest surprise with your labor and delivery?ending up with a c/s, I never thought that would be me

2.  Hospital tips:  what thing did you bring that you were so happy you had with you, good tips for being more comfortable for L&D and your recovery, anything you forgot to bring that you wish you had?I will bring advil for dh this time, the hospital wouldn't give him anything for a horrid headache and backache from sleeping on the horrible fold out chair so he had to go out to the store at 3am!  I also brought way more crap then I ever used.

3.  Hows the post-partem recovery going? Physically and emotionally?  Any baby blues yet?it was long and hard for me with the c/s and my joints hurt for months afterwards, I had more problems with carpal tunnel after baby than before.  I also cried for no reason at all for about 4 weeks after having the baby

4.  Feeding tips/thoughts/experience?  Formula, bottle or breast.bfing went ok for us but I really preferred to go the bottle route

5.  Best baby product that you are so happy you bought ahead of time?nipple shields, soothies

6.  What baby product didn't you buy that you rushed out to get after LO got here?mylicon

7.  Other survival tips?do what works for you!

imageimage Brothers! image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageizzourclue:

1.  What was the biggest surprise with your labor and delivery?ending up with a c/s, I never thought that would be me

2.  Hospital tips:  what thing did you bring that you were so happy you had with you, good tips for being more comfortable for L&D and your recovery, anything you forgot to bring that you wish you had?I will bring advil for dh this time, the hospital wouldn't give him anything for a horrid headache and backache from sleeping on the horrible fold out chair so he had to go out to the store at 3am!  I also brought way more crap then I ever used.

3.  Hows the post-partem recovery going? Physically and emotionally?  Any baby blues yet?it was long and hard for me with the c/s and my joints hurt for months afterwards, I had more problems with carpal tunnel after baby than before.  I also cried for no reason at all for about 4 weeks after having the baby

4.  Feeding tips/thoughts/experience?  Formula, bottle or breast.bfing went ok for us but I really preferred to go the bottle route

5.  Best baby product that you are so happy you bought ahead of time?nipple shields, soothies

6.  What baby product didn't you buy that you rushed out to get after LO got here?mylicon

• Options
    imageizzourclue:

• Options
    imageizzourclue:

• Options

1.  What was the biggest surprise with your labor and delivery? That having to be augmented with pitocin and getting an episiotomy weren't bad. I dreaded both possibilities and honestly, the pitocin was fine, labor was great and almost easy, and my recovery has been quick and not bad at all. I wouldn't have known I got cut if the doctor hadn't told me. Also, pushing wasn't what I expected. It's hard, and it feels like you aren't accomplishing much despite a lot of work (I pushed for 2 hours.)

2.  Hospital tips:  what thing did you bring that you were so happy you had with you, good tips for being more comfortable for L&D and your recovery, anything you forgot to bring that you wish you had? Comfortable pajama/lounge pants and nursing tanks and bras were great. I wanted out of that hospital gown asap. Also, laptop and iPhone were key. Movies were not useful to me.

3.  Hows the post-partem recovery going? Physically and emotionally?  Any baby blues yet? Pretty great, actually. I expected to feel awful but physically I feel pretty good. The first few days I had a LOT of pressure down below- like my body was trying to fall out of my butt, but less actual pain than I expected. Ibuprofin was enough to keep me pretty comfortable. That, and the numbing spray the hospital provided. I'm almost done bleeding (I think) and other than some tenderness down there, I feel almost back to normal at 10 days post partum. I'm a little bummed about DH going back to work, and tired, but not feeling especially depressed or emotional (which I really expected to feel so I'm happy about this!) Also, I've been thrilled with how quickly the first 20 pounds fell away (still 10 to go) and how quickly my tummy has shrunk. I used the belly bandit but don't know how much of the credit goes to it.

4.  Feeding tips/thoughts/experience?  Formula, bottle or breast. Breast feeding has been HARD. The first two days in the hospital I cried, and even screamed quietly a few times while punching a pillow. I think DH was really worried and the LCs were probably betting on when I would quit. LO's latch was too small and my nipples hurt SO BAD when she would latch. I told DH I would rather go through labor every day than keep nursing, but I was determined to power through it. It's still frustrating and uncomfortable at times but getting a LOT better. LO still doesn't latch right most times and I have to adjust her while wincing a bit, but it's not as painful. We'll get there! Waking up to nurse in the middle of the night when it's cold and the bed is cozy.... kinda stinks, honestly. It's neat to know that I can provide for her, though, and I think I will enjoy it eventually.

5.  Best baby product that you are so happy you bought ahead of time? Moby, newborn napper,

6.  What baby product didn't you buy that you rushed out to get after LO got here? Lots of newborn sized clothes. They are still too big, but she needs something to wear. Also, short sleeved onesies- the long sleeves are a pain under her sleepers. And she won't put up with mittens AT ALL. 

7.  Other survival tips? Get sleep when you can and let your DH do as much as possible. Don't criticize him for doing things differently. You're both new at this and if you want him to be involved, let him do it his way. DH changed a diaper before I did, gave Lyla her first bottle (we had to supplement in the hospital) and gave her the second bath (which went WAY better than when I tried so he's in charge of baths now.) I know my DH feels as confident a parent as I do and that's crucial to being an involved dad, especially since he's back to work and doesn't see her as much. I'm glad he has special skills/baby jobs to do.

• Options

how quickly the c-section actually was. From the time I stepped into the OR to the time the finished sewing me up it was about 45 minutes.

2.  Hospital tips:  what thing did you bring that you were so happy you had with you, good tips for being more comfortable for L&D and your recovery, anything you forgot to bring that you wish you had?

Sleeping nursing bras and good smelling body wash. Taking a shower every morning with some nice smelling body wash made me feel human again. I wished I had brought more sleeping/nursing bras. I brought a bunch of nursing tank tops thinking i'd wear those, but didn't get out of my gown while i was in l&d.

3.  Hows the post-partem recovery going? Physically and emotionally?  Any baby blues yet?

physically, its been an easy recovery. emotionally, I've been sad about not experiencing labor or being able to bond with my daughter for 6 hours. I get teary eyed thinking about it. I've had no baby blues though and have not been as emotional as i've heard some ladies have been. I feel back to normal.

My LO latched on right away and i've had a great time breast feeding. I'm not going to give tips though because LO is having reflux problems and not gaining enough weight, so i'm obviously not in a position to give advice right now.

pacifiers, the itzbeen timer, boppy, wipes warmer, nursing products.

6.  What baby product didn't you buy that you rushed out to get after LO got here?

the safe and secure sleeper. LO refused to sleep in her pnp and would only sleep in bed with us.

7.  Other survival tips?

delegate duties to you hubby. I had to get out of the mindset of trying to do everything on my own. Also, take naps. I seriously can't stress this enough. 90% of the time i don't feel sleep deprived because i've taken a nap. DH also handles the 6am feedings, which allows me to sleep from 3am-8/9am.

• Options
    imageizzourclue:

We have a few of you now and I had some questions for you all.  Hope that's ok. Any additional information you have is always welcome.

1.  What was the biggest surprise with your labor and delivery? Nothing went as planned! lol...i trusted my doctors and were able to make decisions as each situation came around.

2.  Hospital tips:  what thing did you bring that you were so happy you had with you, good tips for being more comfortable for L&D and your recovery, anything you forgot to bring that you wish you had? So happy i brought my own nursing PJs...nursing bra/tank and toiletries...the hospital provided everythimg else.

3.  Hows the post-partem recovery going? Physically and emotionally?  Any baby blues yet? no baby blues...recovery isn't too bad..i had a csec...no pain just more discomfort

4.  Feeding tips/thoughts/experience?  Formula, bottle or breast....breeastfeeding..and it;s stressful at first so i started to pump and bottle feed....so far so goood

5.  Best baby product that you are so happy you bought ahead of time? travel yard!

6.  What baby product didn't you buy that you rushed out to get after LO got here? swaddlers

7.  Other survival tips?freezer meals are a lifesaver

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Getting the arterial line and being put to sleep. Those things came out of no where. 

I was so happy I brought chap stick. 

It is going good. Not that much pain and no baby blues yet.

Breast. Even if you think you know what you are doing talk to a lactation councilor they will show you some really good tricks and make you feel better about your choice. 

My vibrating bouncer. So much better than a swing and it can go on my bed so I dont have to do so much bending. 

7.  Other survival tips?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"