2nd Trimester
Options

Fudge recipe that's easy and cheap to make...

I saw a fellow bumpie advising there will be no Christmas this year because funds are tight and she's ashamed that they really can't afford to buy for everyone.

I am all about finding some cheap and easy ways to make the dollar stretch and also to make it look like I did a whole lot more work than usual.

I'm sure you've seen the jars of marshmallow cream at the store. On the back is a quick and easy fudge recipe that makes about 3 lbs of fudge with items you probably have in your pantry/fridge.

You'll need:
1-large microwave safe bowl
1-9x13 pan lined with wax paper
1-stick of butter
3-cups of sugar
1-can of evaporated milk
1-bag of chocolate chips (this is where you can vary the recipe and make any kind of fudge you want based on the chips you pick)
1-jar of marshmallow cream

Microwave your butter, add the sugar and stir it together. Microwave it for 4-5 minutes till boiling. Add evaporated milk, stir and microwave till the sugar is no longer grainy in consistency and is shiny like syrup...could be another 3 minutes.

Take bowl to the counter. Add in marshmallow cream and start stirring to break up the big lumps into little lumps. Once you see little lumps in the marshmallow then add your chocolate chips. Keep stirring to where the color is consistent and not marbled. (You can add nuts, dried cranberries, cherries, to the recipe. Vary it anyway you want to make the style fudge you'd like to have.)

Pour it into your pan that's lined with wax paper. Let it sit overnight. Pull the edges of the wax paper up once it's cooled. Remove the entire brick of fudge from the pan and put it on the counter. Pull the sides of the wax paper away and start cutting into cubes.

I've used this recipe to make peanut butter fudge using reese's peanut butter chips, dark chocolate fudge, milk and white chocolate fudge...the possibilities are endless. But it's cheap and goes a long way. How you want to package them up is up to you as well. You can get a lot of pieces of fudge out of a 3lb brick. If you make 2-5 different kinds of fudge, you can divide them up into containers and send out fudge assortments for Christmas. People will think you slaved for weeks making this and all it took was an afternoon.

Merry Christmas!

Re: Fudge recipe that's easy and cheap to make...

• Options
    this sounds great! i gotta go to the grocery store this evening for some last minute things...looks like i'll be picking up these ingredients too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemuddin_lil_sis:
    this sounds great! i gotta go to the grocery store this evening for some last minute things...looks like i'll be picking up these ingredients too!

I know Wal-mart usually has their small cans of evaporated milk on sale for like 3 for $1 or something like that. The store brand is just as good as the name brand. You can usually get the chips on sale as well. And butter, get the box that has the sticks in it...nothing to measure. The jars of marshmallow cream are easy to come by. Buy the store brand ones...they are cheaper. Don't forget your wax paper.

You can usually find the decorative buckets or tins at Wal-mart too. Or you can do what I did one year....re gifted some tins I had saved from the year before. Line it with wax paper and layer your cut up fudge inside.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I actually used to make this version and then I found Rachel Ray's 5 minute fudge. Its actually not as super sweet, almost candy bar sweet and it takes literally 5 minutes to make.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/five-minute-fudge-wreath-recipe/index.html

Although I don't do the wreath. I line an 8x8" cake pan with foil and butter it. Pour the fudge in, let it set and then use the foil to pull it out of the pan. Cut into squares and then put into mini muffin cups (so they look like candies). Box them up and give them as gifts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you!  I wanted to make fudge for Christmas Eve (I am hosting it for the entire fam) and I did not want to spend a ton of money.  This is perfect, for Aldi carries almost all of these ingredients (except the marshmellow cream)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I use a similar recipe for fudge but I like to make it stove-top.  Fudge is my gift to my supervisor and some co-workers that I am close to.  Like you said, cheap and they all love to share it with their family!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Leah - 6.28.09

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
    2012 - 50 2011 - 47 2010 - 57
    2009 - 71 2008 - 108 2007 - 33
  • Options
    imageaugustjam16:

*gasp* Currents in fudge?????  How could she ruin fudge like that?  Wink

Leah - 6.28.09

Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
  • Options

imagepam1005:
    Thank you!  I wanted to make fudge for Christmas Eve (I am hosting it for the entire fam) and I did not want to spend a ton of money.  This is perfect, for Aldi carries almost all of these ingredients (except the marshmellow cream)

Use 7 ozs of marshmallows...The little ones are easier to melt than the huge chunky ones.

Here's the original recipe:
    https://www.suite101.com/content/original-kraft-fantasy-fudge-recipe-a112677

Also another thing that's super easy is dipping pretzels in chocolate almond bark. The chocolate coating is easy to melt and even easier to dip just about anything. People love chocolate. I use the honey wheat braided pretzel sticks and dip half in chocolate. Let them sit out to dry and you're done. Set out on a plate to serve.

• Options
    imagelilbit923:

This is the recipe that I use.  I don't add nuts though... I'm a Fantasy Fudge Purist... just chocolate!  Smile

The only difference is that after I add the chips & marshmallow, I immediately add the vanilla and use low heat to speed the blending process.  That keeps it nice and warm for pouring!

Leah - 6.28.09

Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
  • Options
    imagelilbit923:

imagepam1005:

Use 7 ozs of marshmallows...The little ones are easier to melt than the huge chunky ones.

Here's the original recipe:
    https://www.suite101.com/content/original-kraft-fantasy-fudge-recipe-a112677

Also another thing that's super easy is dipping pretzels in chocolate almond bark. The chocolate coating is easy to melt and even easier to dip just about anything. People love chocolate. I use the honey wheat braided pretzel sticks and dip half in chocolate. Let them sit out to dry and you're done. Set out on a plate to serve.

I made caramel chocolate pretzels for valentines day - melt some kraft caramels, dip the pretzels in, let it set a bit, then dip them in melted chocolate and let them set.  Sooo yummy!

• Options
    imageGreenBride624:
    imageaugustjam16:

*gasp* Currents in fudge?????  How could she ruin fudge like that?  Wink

Haha! I'm actually not a big fan of Rachel Ray but the fudge is pretty good. I use cranberries and walnuts. Not really a fan of currants. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"