TTC After a Loss
Options

CP- How long did your OB suggest you wait?

Hi girls.  I know this is asked pretty frequently, so I'm sorry if it's annoying.  I just wanted to get a poll of what doctors are suggesting you wait after a mc. 

Also, (if you want to) post a comment saying whether you had a natural mc, d&c, or took medication and how long you were told to wait, because I've heard that suggested wait times will differ for each.

[Poll]
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

11.10.10 from my belly to my heart at 11wks 5days

Re: CP- How long did your OB suggest you wait?

• Options
    I had a natural mc, and my OB suggested waiting 3 cycles before TTC again.  After researching a little, I'm starting to feel like this was primarily suggested for emotional healing time, rather than for physical reasons/increased risk of second mc.

• Options
    The TTCAL Blog already has a poll if you want to look at that one too.  My doctor said I had to wait until 1st AF, but that I should wait 1 cycle after that.  I chose to follow only the 1st half.

Missed m/c 10/25/10 @ 11.5 weeks

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a D&C and the Dr told me we were cleared to TTC again at my 2 week post D&C check up.  I had an early loss (6wks) and it was my first loss.  I started charting that day.  For me I jumped head long into TTCAL and I didn't give myself time to heal emotionally...so that is what I am doing this cycle...we are not TTC but we're not TTA either.  I am not temping this cycle but if it happens great if not than I feel that emotionally I will be better prepared next cycle having taken the time to allow myself to heal emotionally this cycle.
    PRINCESS31stbirthday
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had to have methotrexate b/c my betas weren't going down on my own, and my doctor told me that after I had a period I should wait two more cycles.

TTC since 5/2010
    DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
    BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
    IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
    IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
    U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
    IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
    BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Blog- http://waitingonaangel.wordpress.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

You really should follow your doctor's recommendation - you will find that to be the common word of advice on this board.

Every woman and every loss is different, so obviously every physician gives a different recommendation on this particular subject because of that, which is why you will find so much conflicting information.

Your doctor knows you and your case the best, chances are they have good reasons for telling you to wait as long as they do.

If you're concerned about their recommendation, I would definitely talk to them before going against their medical advice.

* PAL/PgAL Bumpie & NBC-Twi Nestie * imageBloggity Blog BFP #1 in 2001 ? natural m/c @ 9w4d ? TTC our first since 2009 ? BFP #2 on 8/25/2010 ? natural M/C @ 7w6d on 9/25/2010 Clomid cycle #1 @ 50mg = BFP #3 on 1/1/11 ~ EDD 9/14/2011!!! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    All of my losses were early so I wasn't required to wait. I chose to wait several months after my 3rd loss in April because emotionally I was completely drained and just exhausted.
    Natural MCs 2/4/09, 8/22/09 & 4/7/10
    Dx with Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (APS)
    BFP #4 5/14/12
    5/17/12...1st Betas- 176, P4 3.6
    5/22/12...2nd Betas- 207, P4 6.1 (MC confirmed)
  • Options
    My doctor did not give me a specific time she layed out all the schools of thought and let me choose for the first one. I had a D&C and I chose to try right away. We did get preggo but sadly it was ectopic. After the methotrexate shot I was not given a choice. It was three cycles..firm.
    DS Born 10/05/99 DSS Born 7/11/95 BFP 05/11/10 - Missed M/C, D&C 06/23/10 BFP 8/3/2010 - Ectopic, Methotrexate 8/17/10 BFP 1/27/11- Please God let this heart beat strong. Beta1 17dpo-314 Beta2 20dpo-883 Beta3 22dpo-1861 Beta4 25dpo-5918 DS2 Born 10/07/99 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he shall be given over to the LORD." 1Sam1v24to28.
  • Options

I had a natural m/c at 8w6d and I just had my f/u appt yesterday. He told me we can try again after my 1st period. He said that my endometrium is still healing since I am still spotting some. By the time af arrives I should be completely healed!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebryanandkatrina:

You really should follow your doctor's recommendation - you will find that to be the common word of advice on this board.

Every physician gives a different recommendation on this particular subject, which is why you will find conflicting information.

Your doctor knows you and your case the best, chances are they have good reasons for telling you to wait as long as they do.

If you're concerned about their recommendation, I would definitely talk to them before going against their medical advice.

The only reason I'm doubting him is because he wasn't technically my OB.  I was a new patient the first time I went to his practice (we just moved to a new state in September) and I had never actually seen him personally (I only saw a midwife).  After my mc, they wanted me to speak with an OB rather than the midwife I had been seeing.  He just seemed very uninformed of my situation, and I just wasn't comfortable with the way he handled my loss.  I'm currently looking for a new doctor, and plan to listen to what he/she advises.  I just felt like the OB I spoke with was just throwing generic suggestions at me without really giving me any explanation, so I wanted to see what other OBs were telling their patients. 

• Options
    imagebryanandkatrina:

Every woman and every loss is different, so obviously every physician gives a different recommendation on this particular subject because of that, which is why you will find so much conflicting information.

In general, I agree with this statement, and I would never go against my doctors orders just because I felt I knew better - BUT - I strongly urge you to discuss this with your doctor if you don't agree with what they're telling you - or to seek clarification whenever you hear something you don't understand.  I did a lot of reading on the "how long to wait" topic.  I discussed what I read with my doctor and she actually changed her recommndation for me. 

DS1 born 3/30/09
    natural mc @ 10w4d 3/7/10
    DS2 born 9/13/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Natural m/c at ~5wks.  No medication or anything necessary at all.  Doctor said wait for 1st AF after m/c was done.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options

I voted wait longer than 3 cycles...most of the late loss ladies may have had to wait longer than the M/C ladies. I had a C-section at 8 months so I had to wait 5-6 months after the C-section to start TTC again.

Now that we actually have the green light we are so ready (we had been trying at the beginning of the 5 month mark, but nothing happened so now that it is the 6th month mark we are all set... thank God that AF seems normal, and my cycles have not been irregular (Ok I am rambling now my bad)

• Options
    Mine insisted on 3 cycles, even though we had a pretty early loss. It was really hard to wait.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had a late loss (23 weeks) and had to have provera to induce a period and than started another cycle of Injectables. Than took a 6 month break.
  • Options
    I was treated with methotrexate for an ectopic pregnancy at about 9 weeks. My doctor told me to wait at least two full cycles, and those cycles were loooonng.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My first was a missed m/c, brought on by Cytotec.  My OB recommended waiting 1-cycle.  I got pregnant again on my first cycle trying, but that one ended as well.  I was told by the NP I saw to confirm I was m/c that we should wait 2-cycles.  My OB (who I have decided is an idiot) told me she wanted me to OVULATE WITHOUT MEDS for 6-cycles before trying again.  She knows I have PCOS & rarely ovulate on my own (seriously, in the 20-months we've been TTC I have ovulated on my own 3 times).  I explained that to her again & she said it doesn't change her mind.  So, if it was up to her I'd wait 2-3 years before we try again.  I'm waiting 2-cycles & gettng a new OB.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    imagedana1318a:
    imagebryanandkatrina:

Every physician gives a different recommendation on this particular subject, which is why you will find conflicting information.

The only reason I'm doubting him is because he wasn't technically my OB.  I was a new patient the first time I went to his practice (we just moved to a new state in September) and I had never actually seen him personally (I only saw a midwife).  After my mc, they wanted me to speak with an OB rather than the midwife I had been seeing.  He just seemed very uninformed of my situation, and I just wasn't comfortable with the way he handled my loss.  I'm currently looking for a new doctor, and plan to listen to what he/she advises.  I just felt like the OB I spoke with was just throwing generic suggestions at me without really giving me any explanation, so I wanted to see what other OBs were telling their patients. 

I can definitely see how that would be frustrating - but did you ask that OB why he/she wanted you to wait that long?

You said that he was "just throwing generic suggestions at me without really giving me any explanation", but did you ask them for an explanation? I know that we all feel like we shouldn't have to ask those questions (I felt the same way after my losses), but the sad truth is that we do need to be our own advocates.

Even if that means calling the office back after we've left an appointment to ask questions that we didn't think of while we were there (you all know that's happened to you Wink). Unfortunately medical practice today has become as rush and quick as every other aspect of our lives, but if it's something that important then we need to take a moment and make sure that we're getting the attention we need and deserve.

I can completely relate to your situation, I recently switched practices myself because I was very upset with the way that my previous physician handled my loss. I am sorry you had to go through that as well and I hope that you get some answers soon.

* PAL/PgAL Bumpie & NBC-Twi Nestie * imageBloggity Blog BFP #1 in 2001 ? natural m/c @ 9w4d ? TTC our first since 2009 ? BFP #2 on 8/25/2010 ? natural M/C @ 7w6d on 9/25/2010 Clomid cycle #1 @ 50mg = BFP #3 on 1/1/11 ~ EDD 9/14/2011!!! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrs.Albie:
    imagebryanandkatrina:

In general, I agree with this statement, and I would never go against my doctors orders just because I felt I knew better - BUT - I strongly urge you to discuss this with your doctor if you don't agree with what they're telling you - or to seek clarification whenever you hear something you don't understand.  I did a lot of reading on the "how long to wait" topic.  I discussed what I read with my doctor and she actually changed her recommndation for me. 

That was really the point I was trying to get at, you'll notice it mentioned in my last sentence there. We all need to be our own advocates - I know that we feel like we shouldn't have to or be expected to ask those questions on our own, but the sad truth is that we do need to. If you don't understand or don't agree with something that your physician tells you, then please ask them.

• Options
    imagebryanandkatrina:
    imagedana1318a:
    imagebryanandkatrina:

I can definitely see how that would be frustrating - but did you ask that OB why he/she wanted you to wait that long?

You said that he was "just throwing generic suggestions at me without really giving me any explanation", but did you ask them for an explanation? I know that we all feel like we shouldn't have to ask those questions (I felt the same way after my losses), but the sad truth is that we do need to be our own advocates.

Even if that means calling the office back after we've left an appointment to ask questions that we didn't think of while we were there (you all know that's happened to you Wink). Unfortunately medical practice today has become as rush and quick as every other aspect of our lives, but if it's something that important then we need to take a moment and make sure that we're getting the attention we need and deserve.

I can completely relate to your situation, I recently switched practices myself because I was very upset with the way that my previous physician handled my loss. I am sorry you had to go through that as well and I hope that you get some answers soon.

I didn't actually ask him at the appointment, so I know that could totally be my fault.  I walked in literally 1.5 hours after I left the ER and sat down and the OB said, "So, do you have any questions for me?"  Which obviously was opening him up to questions like this one....but I was so upset, and not thinking clearly, and had never been through a mc before so I had no idea what to ask.  So I said no (the only reason he gave me a time frame at all is because DH asked him how long we should wait to try again).  I'm not sure why I haven't called the office to ask them this question.  I think I was just so put off by his whole demeanor when I met him, that I've been saving questions about the future for my next OB (I have called to discuss things that have already happened, such as blood work and tissue testing results). 

Thank you for your responses :)  and thank you to the two PPs who mentioned the TTCAL blog, I didn't know about it!

• Options
    imagedana1318a:
    imagebryanandkatrina:
    imagedana1318a:
    imagebryanandkatrina:

I didn't actually ask him at the appointment, so I know that could totally be my fault.  I walked in literally 1.5 hours after I left the ER and sat down and the OB said, "So, do you have any questions for me?"  Which obviously was opening him up to questions like this one....but I was so upset, and not thinking clearly, and had never been through a mc before so I had no idea what to ask.  So I said no (the only reason he gave me a time frame at all is because DH asked him how long we should wait to try again).  I'm not sure why I haven't called the office to ask them this question.  I think I was just so put off by his whole demeanor when I met him, that I've been saving questions about the future for my next OB (I have called to discuss things that have already happened, such as blood work and tissue testing results). 

Thank you for your responses :)  and thank you to the two PPs who mentioned the TTCAL blog, I didn't know about it!

I am very sorry that you had to go through all of that ((((hugs))))

The story of your experience - sounds like I could have written it myself.

My previous OB did the exact same thing, just point blank asked me if I had any questions and didn't offer me any information. He even went as far as to explain to me how conception happens (like I was some 16 year old child who got knocked up in the back seat of her boyfriends car on prom night) while giving me a visual demonstration of how the sperm meets the egg with his hands. I was so repulsed, offended, and pissed off that I literally stormed out of the office and haven't been back sense.

Luckily I have sense found a new wonderful practice, who is giving me the care and attention that I need and deserve.

I hope that you are able to find that as well. Good luck!

• Options

imagebryanandkatrina:

I am very sorry that you had to go through all of that ((((hugs))))

The story of your experience - sounds like I could have written it myself.

My previous OB did the exact same thing, just point blank asked me if I had any questions and didn't offer me any information. He even went as far as to explain to me how conception happens (like I was some 16 year old child who got knocked up in the back seat of her boyfriends car on prom night) while giving me a visual demonstration of how the sperm meets the egg with his hands. I was so repulsed, offended, and pissed off that I literally stormed out of the office and haven't been back sense.

Luckily I have sense found a new wonderful practice, who is giving me the care and attention that I need and deserve.

I hope that you are able to find that as well. Good luck!

Ugh, that sounds awful  ((hugs)).  I wish I would have stormed out of my appointment when I started to cry and he said "It's sad, but somehow everybody seems to live through it (insert condescending chuckle here)."  But I was in shock so I just sat there.  I know I was extra sensitive, but as an OB he should have realized that and chosen his words (and more importantly, his tone) more carefully.  Hopefully I'll be able to find a new practice that I can be happy and comfortable with like you did!

• Options
    I had a later loss and my dr cleared me to TTC again after my 2wk follow up. But we decided to wait until after my first AF.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"