January 2011 Moms
Options

Waking up to contractions..

I'm deciding if I should call my doctor or wait until tomorrow's appointment at 9:15am. Last night I woke up to having some pretty strong contractions. They were all in my back and radiated to the front. They were not timeable and really were just all over the place. I immediately thought, okay if they get worse or timeable I will call the dr. Well, they stayed the same, which was pretty uncomfortable but not unbearable. I fell back asleep and here I am this morning. I am having some contractions off and on today again but still nothing timeable at all. I know it's normal to have some pre-labor or false-labor contractions but the way that the one's felt last night and the fact that they woke me up makes me wonder. Is this normal or do you think I should call my doctor and not wait until tomorrow? I can't decide.
02/14/09 D&E of our little girl, due to developmental problems at 23 weeks :( 01/04/10 Missed MC at 8 weeks :( 01/01/11 The birth of our beautiful little girl, Blake :)
My blog!

Re: Waking up to contractions..

• Options
    I would let them know, at least. At my last appointment I let them know that the week before I had BHC's ranging from 5-10 minutes apart for an hour and a half, then they went away... and the doc got kinda mad at me for not calling it in!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If it helps you put your mind at ease I would just give them a call. My phone nurses that my doctor has they're very nice about if I have any questions about contractions just call and they will help determine what they are. Plus, if you call you might have some good tips for recognizing other contractions or what to do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i say call and let them decide what you should do.  they are the experts, and whatever they tell you will probably put your mind at ease.  you don't need any extra stress right now, and if you call then at least you won't have to sit around wondering! :)
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If it will make you feel better then I would call.  I had similar contractions as you and eventually called.  The on call doctor really did make me feel like an idiot and even made the comment "this is your first, isn't it" but I'm still happy that I called.  I now am more comfortable with the kind of contractions I have at home and have a better idea on when it's the real deal and when I should call again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    After 37 weeks, they aren't going to do anything to stop labor so I would just wait and see how it goes.  My plan is to labor at home until contractions are 5 min apart, 1 min long for at least 1 hour or until my water breaks.  It sounds like you just had false labor if its stopping.  If LO is moving ok, you're probably fine and will probably have real labor any day now.  You don't want to go to the hospital too early because they will either just send you home or keep you and push a bunch of interventions on you to get you going when LO isn't really ready to come out anyway.  Always call to be safe, but I'm not going to call my OB until I am having time-able, can't talk through them contractions or my water breaks. 
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice girls! I think I am going to wait to call the doctor. If the contractions come back strong like last night I will call back. LO is moving around like crazy in there - feels like she's trying to push her way out. I will just make sure to let my doctor know tomorrow everything I've been going through so he's not out in the dark. Guess I better get used to these type of things!!
    02/14/09 D&E of our little girl, due to developmental problems at 23 weeks :( 01/04/10 Missed MC at 8 weeks :( 01/01/11 The birth of our beautiful little girl, Blake :)
    My blog!
  • Options

imagenkubon:
    Thanks for the advice girls! I think I am going to wait to call the doctor. If the contractions come back strong like last night I will call back. LO is moving around like crazy in there - feels like she's trying to push her way out. I will just make sure to let my doctor know tomorrow everything I've been going through so he's not out in the dark. Guess I better get used to these type of things!!

I think that makes sense. While it is good to tell them when you go in, I don't really know what they could do or tell you if you called. As long as they are not getting closer together or progressing in intensity, they are prelabor-which is a good sign your body is getting ready, but that could go for awhile before the main event.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageizzourclue:
    After 37 weeks, they aren't going to do anything to stop labor so I would just wait and see how it goes.  My plan is to labor at home until contractions are 5 min apart, 1 min long for at least 1 hour or until my water breaks.  It sounds like you just had false labor if its stopping.  If LO is moving ok, you're probably fine and will probably have real labor any day now.  You don't want to go to the hospital too early because they will either just send you home or keep you and push a bunch of interventions on you to get you going when LO isn't really ready to come out anyway.  Always call to be safe, but I'm not going to call my OB until I am having time-able, can't talk through them contractions or my water breaks. 

exactly this.  I would just bring it up at your appt. tomorrow. i don't plan to call doc about contractions until i'm ready to go to the hospital.

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"