North Carolina Babies

Do not open 'til...February?

Oh boy...We opened Christmas cards from my MIL last night.  She was very generous in that she sent 3 $100 checks - one for each my DH, DS and me.  Unfortunately, she also included a note in DH's card to please not cash the checks until February.  Ouch.

My poor DH!!  He grew up with his single mom.  She always went way overboard at Christmas with gifts - leaving them with literally no money for food, utilities or anything else in the months of January, February and March (very cold in Wisconsin that time of year).

This year, much to my dismay, DH told me that the demons of Christmases past were bothering him, that there really is nothing he wants and he'd rather not exchange gifts...I feel deflated because I've always had storybook Christmases and I realize it's not about the gifts, but I feel like something key is missing.  I want to turn his experiences into happy ones, yet I understand why it is difficult for him.

So sad...(btw - we will not be cashing the checks now OR in February...)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Do not open 'til...February?

• That was my first thought, not to cash them, but I would let her know so she isn't waiting for them to clear.

I have the same issue with DH, his most memorable Christmas was when the Salvation Army brought him a huge (to a 10 year old) bag of toys. He is very bah humbug about the whole thing but it seems to have gotten better since we had DD. He just doesn't "get" Christmas because he never really had one.  I am like you and my parents went overboard (and still do) . We'd go out on Xmas Eve and come home to a special present under the tree that just magically appeared, and on Xmas morning there would be piles and piles of gifts, it was always very festive.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedbertagni:
    I would let her know so she isn't waiting for them to clear.

I agree, but when this same thing happened for DS's baby shower (literally, gave me a check to open at the shower, then told me afterward not to cash it for a month), I tried to be sweet with the 'ol "Oh, I couldn't possibly accept this" she freaked out on me and told me that's why she made the check out to me - because DH never cashes them.  Didn't cash that one either.  I believe it is just becoming the game we play...

Happy to hear that DD has help to lift your DH's Christmas spirits! My DH is the worst I've ever seen him this year - I think because with DS, we are now a 'family' and it reminds him of the old days.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ahh...I see. I wonder if she just writes them and hopes they don't get cashed? That is really sad! We never even hear from DH family at all, so in a way it is a relief we don't have to deal with it. Hopefully your DH will perk up when Christmas is here, and next year when Alex is older and really enjoys it he will be more in the spirit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"