North Dakota Babies

Kinda bummed

I have been obsessed with names since I got pregnant. DH didn't want to join in the fun until we found out the sex. We've both enjoyed playing around with names since the anatomy scan. Last week, we decided on a name we both loved.

Then, we found out this weekend that a colleague of mine had her baby and gave him the same name. We aren't close enough that I would automatically take the name off the table (although it would make for a few awkward moments since our department sends out baby announcements), but we had talked about nanny sharing once I go back to work. It was only one conversation and we haven't made any plans since, but I think it would be good for our guy to have daily interactions with another baby in the first few years. Just not one with the same name.

Dumb vent, but I'm a little disappointed.

Re: Kinda bummed

• I totally understand how you feel. Just remember that it's just a colleague.  It's not like it's a family member or close friend.  Who knows how long you will even work with this person.  Your son will have his name for life, so choose the name that you love, & forget about what other people think.  I don't know if you were around at the time, but DH's ex-gf used Reese as a middle name about a month before we had her, and I was devastated.  We ultimately had to decide that we were going to name our daughter the name that we loved, & we didn't care what other people thought.  I know it stinks, but don't let it ruin your fun!  {{HUGS}}
  • I agree with Dani, if you love the name go ahead and use it! Like she said you don't even know how long you'll work with her. If she has issue with it then that's her deal, not yours. It's not like you're stealing her baby's name, especially since you already had it picked out.

Started TTC Nov. 2011 

1st clomid cycle June 2012- No response :: HSG August 2012- Left tube blocked, right tube clear :: 2nd clomid cycle Aug. 2012 BFN :: 3rd clomid cycle Sept. 2012 :: BFP Sept 30th :: DS born 6/15/13 :: BFP #2 7/29/14 M/C 8/5/14 :: BFP#3 10/20/14 DD born 7/1/2015 :: Applied to be surrogate April '17 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for IFs Dec. '17 :: Surro Babe born 9/11/18 :: Started 2nd Journey May '19 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for new IFs 9/24/19 :: HB 138 at 6w6d

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with Dani. Its a bummer, but I would still use it, I know if it were me I would feel a bit awkward with the coworker, but I would just explain to him that he picked a great name and give him a heads up that is also what you are naming your son - obviously you don't have to explain anything, but that is just what I would do. 
    ~Kimberly & Eric~ April 21, 2008 ~Tensing Pen ~ Negril, Jamaica ~ My Blog: One Sunset at a Time
  • imagedani_girl08:
    I totally understand how you feel. Just remember that it's just a colleague.  It's not like it's a family member or close friend.  Who knows how long you will even work with this person.  Your son will have his name for life, so choose the name that you love, & forget about what other people think.  I don't know if you were around at the time, but DH's ex-gf used Reese as a middle name about a month before we had her, and I was devastated.  We ultimately had to decide that we were going to name our daughter the name that we loved, & we didn't care what other people thought.  I know it stinks, but don't let it ruin your fun!  {{HUGS}}
    This was a great response! I'd definitely take the same advice :-)
  • imagelindeenwedding:
    I agree with Dani. Its a bummer, but I would still use it, I know if it were me I would feel a bit awkward with the coworker, but I would just explain to him that he picked a great name and give him a heads up that is also what you are naming your son - obviously you don't have to explain anything, but that is just what I would do. 

This! 

K+S 9.18.9 | DD #1 age 2 | PG # 5 EDD 9.17.12

• I couldn't agree more with the other girls.  If you love the name, use it.  Even in my immediate family, we have a lot of repeat names.  It happens.  Go with what you love. 
    Katy and Brett ~ Runaway Bay, Jamaica ~ October 4, 2008

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"