January 2011 Moms

Are you putting a TV in the nursery?

I just can't decide - I know I read that when you BF in the beginning the TV is a major distraction so maybe it's better if I wait anyway...what are you doing? Right now we don't even have one to put in there but then I think about all the time I might be spending in the nursery and I think maybe it's something I should consider. Although, I will be using a bassinet at first anyway...ugh, I dunno!!

Re: Are you putting a TV in the nursery?

• Nope. I didn't with DD and I won't with this baby. I kinda liked feeding times. You can always shut your eyes and take a snooze if you get bored. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We don't have room for one, but I've thought about it! I am nervous that I'll fall asleep during night feedings if it's too quiet in there. I may have to take LO to one of my stepdaughters' rooms to watch some TV and nurse at night if I think I'll need the distraction.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • nope... i like the idea of waiting till LO is older to start watching TV.  i also like the idea of the nursery being a quiet place to get away from distractions... esp when i want to just focus on bonding with her and nursing.
  • No TV in the nursery for us. We do have a TV in our bedroom where LO will be spending a few months, but I rarely turned it on when I was feeding ds at night. The TV was usually on if I feeding him in the living room.
  • Nope. Honestly, at this point BFing takes my full attention. Plus, I want nighttie feedings to be dark and quiet to fix her day/night confusion.
  • Nope. Our pediatrician (and most of my friends) don't like TV watching for children under the age of 2!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Nope! I love my quiet times with my babies. TV is fine during the day but I'm not into tv in kids rooms.
  • Nope, not at all.  Not only is it a distraction for BFing but I agree that children should have as little exposure to TV as possible before the age of 2.  I do plan on having some music to play softly and even books by the rocking chair if I get bored.
  • imagenate_and_britt:
    Nope, not at all.  Not only is it a distraction for BFing but I agree that children should have as little exposure to TV as possible before the age of 2.  I do plan on having some music to play softly and even books by the rocking chair if I get bored.

This. We're no-TV-in-the-bedrooms people anyway, so the issue hasn't even come up.

• No. We feel good about the AP's recommendation of no TV until age 2 and then less than 30 min. a day after that. There is no known benefit of watching TV but there are known issues with attention span and marketing susceptibility even for babies and increased aggression and decreased activity for toddlers and beyond. While I am sure that LO will see TV at others' houses, and that is fine, it will not be a part of our daily routine at home, let alone in his bedroom.

• Never. Honestly, after you get the hang of bf-ing you can do it like half-conscious and having a tv on in the middle of the night would wake me up completely. In the half-awake state I could nurse her, put her back in her crib and go back to bed without missing a beat.
  • Nope, I don't want to get in the habit of having the tv keep Sophee up. Also, it will be less time for her to watch tv as she gets older.I don;t want her to get use to the tv and that be the only reason she will sleep.
    Hope (32), James (36), Sophee (1 year old), McKenzee (7 weeks) CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Nope. I didn't with DD and won't with this one. We just always rocked and listened to music during feeding times.
    IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all of the input - it's amazing - I think every person who responded is in agreement - now that's a first!

• We don't even own a Tv, so, nope!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • No.  When I was up frequently with DD, I fed her in the living room at night -sometimes I watched TV and sometimes I just sat in the dark.  She was down to 1 middle-of-the night feeding by 8 weeks so this is when I started feedings in her room.  I watched tv during feedings until about 7 or 8 weeks and then moved into the nursery for this to try to establish a bedtime routine. 

FWIW DD is 2 1/2 and still does not have a TV in her room.  It is on often enough in my living room - I like that she goes to her new big girl room to play quietly and is not distracted by TV.  She does have a CD player and I had one in the nursery too - I used to play the Baby Einstein bedtime CD during bedtime feedings until DD was 1. 

• I was thinking about getting a small flat screen to keep me occupied/awake during night time feedings, but I am leaning towards using that money towards an Ipod touch with speakers for music instead.
  • I will be the exception, we already had one in there and no where to put it. Would I have bought on specifically for the nursery? No, but it's in there and I have the option of watching if I want.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Since we're moving soon, we didn't set up a separate nursery for baby.  Crib/glider/changing table are all in our really big loft bedroom, which has a TV.  That said, I don't really plan on watching TV while feeding baby.
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • imagehoney740:
    I will be the exception, we already had one in there and no where to put it. Would I have bought on specifically for the nursery? No, but it's in there and I have the option of watching if I want.

We're in the same boat.  This was our guest room prior to getting pregnant and it was already there. 

• We don't really have room for one at the moment, but I am considering getting a portable DVD player for my own entertainment in there.  Ultimately I'll probably just bring my laptop in at night so if I want to watch something on hulu or a DVD, I can.

ETA: This is probably fairly unpopular, judging by this thread, but I don't really have a problem with Aidan being in the presence of a TV before he's 2.  I don't plan on parking him in front of it, but we're probably going to end up being pretty lax on the TV unless it becomes a problem (I hate watching my niece passively sit in front of the TV completely oblivious to the world around her.  I don't mind seeing my nephew actively sing and play along with the shows he watches from time to time.  We'll make TV decisions once we see how our son reacts to it.).

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• imagea-beautiful-mess:

imagenate_and_britt:
    Nope, not at all.  Not only is it a distraction for BFing but I agree that children should have as little exposure to TV as possible before the age of 2.  I do plan on having some music to play softly and even books by the rocking chair if I get bored.

This. We're no-TV-in-the-bedrooms people anyway, so the issue hasn't even come up.

This is us too.  We don't have a TV in our room and neither will LO.  I may watch TV while BFing once we get good enough at it to do it anywhere in the house, but I don't need to be stimulating my brain in the middle of the night with TV either.  We had a TV in our bedroom before we got married.  It got knocked out by lightening and we never replaced it.  Best thing to ever happen to our sex life and we read and talk more now.

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • No TV in the nursery... her baby furniture fits in there so nicely and perfectly, and we have a little stereo, which will be enough to keep me occupied during feedings for now. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We converted our guest room to a nursery and there was already a TV in that room.  I would like to find somewhere else for it but don't think that is going to happen.  I just won't turn it on.   I would not go out and purchase one specifically for the nursery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"