North Dakota Babies

What Do You Think Of This?

I know my own opinion, but, I'm curious as to what you all think.

Tonight we went to FIL and SMIL's house to celebrate with SMIL's son and his family.  They have two year old twins and a 5 year old.

As we're opening presents, SMIL is drinking a glass of wine.  One of the twins tries to take a drink from the glass.  We all laughed and it was done.  Then he tried to grab it again.  SMIL then let him take a drink of the wine.  And then, about 20 minutes later....she did it again.  The parents said nothing, neither seemed to care in the least bit. 

I know some of you put a little whiskey on gums and such, but those aren't actual drinks of alcohol.....am I overreacting to think her doing this was ridiculous????

Katy and Brett ~ Runaway Bay, Jamaica ~ October 4, 2008

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: What Do You Think Of This?

• I don't think my opinion is the norm here, but I don't see a problem with it.  I mean, for Mari's baptism, she had to get communion three times and was given three HUGE spoonfuls of wine each time.

Vodka I'd have an issue with, but not wine. 

(This is coming from someone who doesn't remember NOT drinking wine with dinner, even if it was just a sip.)

• imageDreamsBride411:

I don't think my opinion is the norm here, but I don't see a problem with it.  I mean, for Mari's baptism, she had to get communion three times and was given three HUGE spoonfuls of wine each time.

(This is coming from someone who doesn't remember NOT drinking wine with dinner, even if it was just a sip.)

Well, being Catholic, I definitely see a difference in church wine vs. "regular" wine.

• Loading the player...
  • I was at a keno party and a girl gave a sip of her Bellini to SOMEONE ELSES 10 month old. I was horrified. The mom didn't say anything, but if it was my kid I sure would have. It's kinda weird to me that the kid wanted another sip- it seems like a 2 yr old would not like the taste of wine.
  • imagekaters1279:
    imageDreamsBride411:

I don't think my opinion is the norm here, but I don't see a problem with it.  I mean, for Mari's baptism, she had to get communion three times and was given three HUGE spoonfuls of wine each time.

Well, being Catholic, I definitely see a difference in church wine vs. "regular" wine.

Agreed. I just kinda feel like it's no biggie. However, consider the source. My family also had everyone drinking coffee and demitasse before we were 10. It seems so normal to me and if I saw it, I wouldn't question it unless it was excessive. But, I do come from a family of crazies, so you may want to totally disregard my opinion, haha :-)
  • I don't think its appropriate, but then again I am a Catholic that doesn't even take the wine in church lol! Eric let Alexa have a sip of champagne the other night and I wasn't very happy with that, but what pissed me off even more is that he had to go telling everyone that she had champagne - hello I don't want to look like a bad mother that "lets" her DH do this!
    ~Kimberly & Eric~ April 21, 2008 ~Tensing Pen ~ Negril, Jamaica ~ My Blog: One Sunset at a Time
  • My mom had/has alcohol issues, so it's a sensitive issue for me. I rarely drink...and when I do it's just a couple glasses of wine. Every once in while I'll have a beer or a margarita if I'm feeling frisky :)

Anyways, I'm in the same boat as you, I really think it's inappropriate...could be due to my personal issues with it though. I can see how it may not be a big deal to Cris too.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl
  • I don't find it appropriate but it's her kid so you can't really say anything.

Is it weird that I think a sip of wine is worse than a sip of beer? I grew up around beer haha 

Siggy Deleted Due to Internet Stalking. Mama to Q, born July 2010
  • imageBlondeBeachBride08:

I don't find it appropriate but it's her kid so you can't really say anything.

Is it weird that I think a sip of wine is worse than a sip of beer? I grew up around beer haha 

I definitely didn't say anything.  Not my business to say anything..  I just know SMIL had better not EVER do this with Mady. 

• I'm with you, its inappropriate.

I understand Cristina's point, but from what I understand of SMIL, this didn't have any cultural or situational significance.  Also, I doubt SMIL would distinguish between wine or beer or a mixed drink the way some would. 

Cultural or religious reasons aside, I do think its inappropriate to allow children to have alcohol. One reason is becasue its just not healthy for them, and smaller bodies will process it differently. But also because, when you treat a child like an adult, and allow them to do adult things, they start acting more like an adult.  When are they going to get to be a child if not during childhood?  I think its a slippery slope.. And I've seen attitudes like this lead to underage drinking and adults with drinking problems.  No one wants that for their child, and its just as easy to say no, and give the child something else.

IMHO, part of good parenting is being able to set clear boundaries and knowing when and how to say no to your child.

I get that one of your main concerns here is whether she would try something like that with Mady, especially since now there is precedence with the cousins.  I think that you are going to be make your intentions and parenting style clear where people will know this isn't acceptable with your child. 

• I remember asking my Mom for sips of wine when I was younger.  And getting sips of beer from my uncles.  Didn't seem to be an issue and I never got drunk or anything since they were always little sips and only 1 or 2.  Also never hard alcohol or mixed drinks (that, IMO, is a no-no!).  So I don't see a problem with it.  And this is coming from someone who has been very much effected by alcoholism as you all know.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"