School-Aged Children

Help preparing my 2nd & 3rd grade boys....

Good afternoon everyone, We are transfering our boys into a great school after winter break. Our oldest is 8 and in 3rd grade- very out going, however our 7yr old 2nd grader- is shy and has anxiety issues. Any ideas on how to transition them easily?

Re: Help preparing my 2nd & 3rd grade boys....

• Contact the school before they break and ask for their room rep.  Maybe she can introduce you to some of the other moms and you can arrange an outing before school starts.

Even knowing one kid on your first day of school is exciting 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love that idea. Thank you
  • Loading the player...
  • Would the new school allow your kids to visit the campus this week? Even if they were there for a short time, it would give them some familiarity. Could they spend some time observing their class? Eating lunch? If not, can you take them after school and let them play on the playground?

Newlyweds since 2007
  • The school needs to recommend a mature, laid-back, easygoing kid who will be in DD's new class to be her "buddy" for the first week of school. 

A visit to the school and the classroom prior to the first day would probably help a lot! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I have had many students visit me and my class before starting. Even if they do not necessarily know any friends on the first day, just recognizing the room, teacher, faces, etc. takes some of the stress off of them. GL!
    3/2009 ~ chemical pregnancy 7/2009 ~ BFP! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBeachTeach26:
    I have had many students visit me and my class before starting. Even if they do not necessarily know any friends on the first day, just recognizing the room, teacher, faces, etc. takes some of the stress off of them. GL!

This! But 2nd and 3rd graders are super excited to get new kids in their class and are really helpful and friendly in my experience. They fight over who gets to be the helper. Usually after the first day, the new student is totally fine!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"