Florida Babies

Suggestions for cloth diapers....

I'm pregnant with my first and plan on cloth diapering. Any moms on here that cloth diaper that could give me some tips of the trade would be most appreciated! What's your brand of choice and why? Thanks :)
Pregnancy #1 Stillbirth due to cord restriction at 40+5 weeks 7.8.11 Jude Karl Pregnancy #2 Missed Miscarriage 2.1.12 baby due 8.28.12 Willow Sky TTC again starting 4.1.12 Fingers crossed we get and take a rainbow home! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Suggestions for cloth diapers....

• You should definitely lurk/check out/post on the Cloth Diapering board. There is a TON of information and options out there. One thing I wish I would have done was check out more diapers in person to see how they all worked - I think there are some stores in Tampa that sell cloth diapers. I had originally planned to use the ever-popular BumGenius diapers - they're very similar to disposables in ease-of-use, but they're more expensive and take longer to dry than some other types. It is a popular choice for people who have their children in daycare, too - a lot of daycare providers will use that style of cloth diapers but no others.

We've been using prefolds and diaper covers, which is the cheapest option, and we've had a great experience so far. I started out with basic Chinese prefolds and now we've moved in to a bigger size and I went with Green Mountain Prefolds. They're a bit more trim and have more size options, so while they are more expensive than the basic Chinese prefolds I had, they fit better. We use Thirsties Duo Wraps for the cover, and they come in two sizes that fit from birth until potty training. I have 8 or 9 of the covers that we rotate in and out. They're great at keeping everything in. I like that the covers we use have snaps instead of velcro - I feel like the velcro diapers wear out a bit faster.

Cloth diapers do make our daughter's rump a bit "fluffy" :) But we just use stretchy pants or a size larger.

I'm still learning a lot about CDs, and we use disposables when we're out and about or traveling, but I love how much money we're saving and how good they are for the earth and the baby. They haven't been much extra work - I do an extra load of laundry every 2-3 days and that's about it.

• I love Kawaii and Fuzzi Bunz. Mostly Kawaiis are wonderful for the price (much cheaper than BumGenius) and very cute! I love my Fuzzi Bunz, because I love the trimness of a nice sized diaper, plus I prefer snaps. If you are close to Pinellas there is a Pinellas county cloth diapering group on Facebook you should join. The ladies there are very helpful, plus we get together once a month to swap/sell diapers and give any sort of advice. DNA Diapers is located in Tampa and I think has an actual storefront.
    DS 09.11.10
  • Loading the player...
  • We used a combination of bumGenius, Flips, and Little G's. All of them worked really great for us. For a while we did the hybrid diapers (flips and little g with a disposible insert) and did the bumGenius at night. That was nice for on the go -especially is your baby isn't a big pooper- because they are more compact and you can fit more in the diaper bag. When we recently moved to FL I got to start being a sahm so we were able to cloth full time.

If you are interested in the hybrids then I reccommend going with the flip inserts (doesn't really matter what outside you use they will fit into any diaper that is similar to the flip or little g) they are more cost effective. The little g inserts are flushable though which was really nice.

As far as the actual cloth diapers go, we used little g cloth inserts in both the flip and the little gs. I didn't really like them very much, they didn't seem to hold much. I loved the bumGenius and plan to use those for the baby I'm currently pregnant with. I have the old 3.0's, I'm hoping to upgrade a few to the new 4.0. They have the velco closure...it does wear out a little, but my boy was a chunky monkey so it worked better than trying to squeeze him into the snapping ones or leaving it too loose (when he was little).

Mostly it's just trial and error with it, there are some places that sell cloth diapers that will let you "rent" a variety of diapers so you can see which one(s) work best for you and your baby then when you decide then they credit your acct with part or the rental fee so you can purchase the ones that work best. It also helps to have friends who cloth diaper. My friends and I traded diapers in the beginning to see what worked best for each of us.

Also, make sure you have a wet bag, and 2 trash cans or buckets (if you plan to use disposible wipes). 1 for wipes and 1 (big enough to accommodate the bulkier cloth diaper) for the diapers. A diaper scraper is great too (ours is from the g diapers)

Hope this helps :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"