Health & Exercise
Options

Half marathon in third trimester?

Hey ladies -- I signed up for a half marathon before I got pregnant. I'm due April 8, and the race is March 20.

Everyone I know says don't even think about it. I have no intentions of sprinting to the finish, but I thought it would be fun to at least start it and see how far I could make it running and walking. (My house is on the race route if I decide to call it quits).

So far, I've been running one race a month since I got pregnant (5 and 7ks) and working out about 4 times a week.

What do you think? Is that cutting it too close?

Re: Half marathon in third trimester?

• Options
    I think you could do it! Definitely do not over do it, but if you are still working out now, I think you would be fine if you take it easy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What's your running history?  Have you run a half before?  I really think it depends on what your base mileage is right now.  If you ran 10-12mi on a regular basis (like once a month or every few weeks), I think you'll be fine w/a run & walk combo.  Definitely check w/your doc and get their ok.  From what I've read, we won't know how we'll feel until that day so definitely register for the race and see what happens that morning!  Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I ran a half marathon last year. Prior to getting pregnant, I usually ran 2-3 races a month, mostly 5 and 10ks. I've cut down to one a month since I got pregnant.

I think I will start the normal 12-week training program and use that as a gauge. I haven't been doing long distance in the past few months, but I've been doing shorter runs and lots of elliptical training. 

• Options
    You should definitely go for it!  If you're running and it doesn't feel right, you can always walk.
  • Options
    Honestly, it is more difficult than you think.   I got pregnant the week after running the Boston Marathon, and ran 40-50 miles per week consistently for about 2 year prior (multiple marathons and halfs).  I  kept up my mileage (about 100-115) miles per month until November (7-8 months pregnant).  Since I entered the 3rd tri, I have been exhausted.  5 miles feels like 15 exertion wise.  I can "suck up" a lot of pain, but now at 34 weeks pregnant, I can barely walk due to sciatica pain.   I fully believed that I would be running the day I went into labor, but you can't control what happens to your body.  I don't want to be a downer, but 13 miles is far..especially since you aren't used to running that distance.  Everybody is different, and you may have better luck than me, but this all came on since about 32 weeks for me.   Good luck!
  • Options
    I ran a half marathon the week before I gave birth. I didn't go fast but I have also done so many marathons and did the Boston marathon at 25 weeks pregnant. It really depends how you feel and how your running goes at that time. I felt great and ran 6 miles the evening before I went into labor on my due date. Everybody is different. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm thinking thats pushing it. Like PP said,  I am certainly not trying to be a downer, but it sounds like you are not used to the mileage. I ran a half at 21 weeks and felt fantastic. But, I also got PG a week after one marathon and ran another at 4 weeks. Everyone is different, but I will tell you if you couldn't run 13 miles TODAY, its only going to get harder. I too thought for sure I would be running until the day I delivered, but today as I walked home from what was supposed to be an easy 3 mile jog and every part of my body hurt, that I am not going to be one of those people.

The most important thing is to listen to your body. If you start a training program and can keep up with it, more power to you... but remember that this is not the time for building mileage, increasing speed, etc. Every run should be an easy run, even if its a long one. I will tell you that today, at 31 weeks, I would not physically be able to WALK 13 miles. Good luck and keep us posted!

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Personally I think it's cutting it close being that it's under 3 weeks till you deliver.  With my first child I delivered two weeks early.  If anything I guess you could try to do it and back out if need be.  You don't know how your body will feel at 37 weeks so you could always play it by ear.
  • Options
    i have no advice since i had a similar question but i wanted to just say that you ladies are all amazing!  i can't believe you all have so much discipline!  Yes
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"