January 2011 Moms

NO, I'm not being induced "because he's too big"

The plan is (and always has been) that I will be induced at/around 38 weeks.  The reasoning behind this is because I have Type 1 Diabetes and the placenta can age and degrade faster in women with Diabetes and there is a higher incidence of fetal complications (including stillbirth) in babies born to Diabetic mothers after 38 weeks.

*Please note I'm talking about Type 1 Diabetes and not Gestational Diabetes here - in GD the placenta does not typically deteriorate quite as fast and inductions are usually around 39 weeks*

So, when I tell people that I'll be induced in 4 weeks, they automatically say - "oh, its because he's too big huh". NO. My LO is measuring exactly where he should be and my NSTs and Fluid levels are wonderful. I've had excellent control throughout my entire pregnancy and therefore he is not measuring too big.

Sorry, it just really irritates me.  I just get a bit defensive about all this because his health and size is a direct reflection of how I'm doing in regards to my blood sugar control. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NO, I'm not being induced "because he's too big"

• I'm sure people are saying that because that is a common reason and one that people can quickly and easily refer to. I wouldn't even know about other reasons for induction if I weren't studying up on this process, reading my books, and hanging out on the Bump. In fact, I didn't even know what happens with people with Type 1. 

I can understand that it's annoying to keep explaining yourself over and over again to other people. Maybe you can say "I'm being induced because I have Diabetes", therefore not giving people the chance to ask about having a big baby.

Which, by the way, I think is GREAT...the fact that you have been taking such good care of yourself and LO that you are where you need to be. I give you a lot of credit - there is so much to worry about/prepare for and adding medical restrictions to the mix is no easy task. 

I hope this all makes sense and didn't make you feel worse :)  

• imagelattelady2:

The plan is (and always has been) that I will be induced at/around 38 weeks.  The reasoning behind this is because I have Type 1 Diabetes and the placenta can age and degrade faster in women with Diabetes and there is a higher incidence of fetal complications (including stillbirth) in babies born to Diabetic mothers after 38 weeks.

*Please note I'm talking about Type 1 Diabetes and not Gestational Diabetes here - in GD the placenta does not typically deteriorate quite as fast and inductions are usually around 39 weeks*

So, when I tell people that I'll be induced in 4 weeks, they automatically say - "oh, its because he's too big huh". NO. My LO is measuring exactly where he should be and my NSTs and Fluid levels are wonderful. I've had excellent control throughout my entire pregnancy and therefore he is not measuring too big.

Sorry, it just really irritates me.  I just get a bit defensive about all this because his health and size is a direct reflection of how I'm doing in regards to my blood sugar control. 

I totally understand.  I am also type 1 and have known that I will be induced around 38 weeks for a while.  Everyone keeps telling me how big he is, blah blah, blah.  When actually he is in the 56th percentile, which my doctors say is average.  Lately when people ask, I just say he will be born around the first of January, they don't listen to an explanation anyway.  Crap, even my diabetic uncle said something today.  I was telling him about my aic and how it has been better than ever since being pregnant(It was good before 5.5, but has been 4.5-4.8 the past two times it's been checked).  So he suggested they check me for anemia because that could make aic off.  (I think he's kinda losing it, but still.) I guess he doesn't think that I can control my BS, even though I've been doing it for years.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • People are ignorant to the possibilities. On a side note, I want to have my baby at 38 weeks! How exciting! Enjoy!
  • I'm sorry. That's annoying. Good for you for taking such good care of yourself and your LO. I have good friends who have Type 1 diabetes and they have told me all the hoops they would have to jump through if they decided to get PG. I have so much respect for anyone that can do all of that.
  • imageMrsLynnyD:

I'm sure people are saying that because that is a common reason and one that people can quickly and easily refer to. I wouldn't even know about other reasons for induction if I weren't studying up on this process, reading my books, and hanging out on the Bump. In fact, I didn't even know what happens with people with Type 1. 

I can understand that it's annoying to keep explaining yourself over and over again to other people. Maybe you can say "I'm being induced because I have Diabetes", therefore not giving people the chance to ask about having a big baby.

Which, by the way, I think is GREAT...the fact that you have been taking such good care of yourself and LO that you are where you need to be. I give you a lot of credit - there is so much to worry about/prepare for and adding medical restrictions to the mix is no easy task. 

I hope this all makes sense and didn't make you feel worse :)  

No worries, that doesn't make me feel worse. I've tried saying just because I'm Diabetic - and most people automatically think that Diabetes = big baby.  Oh well, I'm finding that the best answer to "when are you due"  is just "In about a month". 

People are just too dang interested in pregnant women I swear Stick out tongue

• & Thanks for the kind words everyone - It's so nice to be able to vent here and get such kind remarks in return. I love this board!
  • Huge kudos to you for taking such good care of yourself! I know it's got to be irritating - we're all sick of answering the same questions a million times a day. Hang in there. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"