North Carolina Babies

Tell me about your DD's hair clips

I've never put hair accessories on Holly really--mostly because up until now, she really didn't have enough hair.

I want to start making some hair clips with little felt appliques, and wondered how your favorite clips were made.

Is non-slip a requirement? What is the best method, in your experience--shelf liner, velvet, velcro?

Is there a certain size you like best?

PIP your fave kind, if you've got a link or pic. TIA!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

Re: Tell me about your DD's hair clips

• You know I love me some hair accessories! I've always ordered non-slip for Maddie's clips. It was a necessity when she was younger, and it's still nice now b/c she has such fine hair. We have both shelf liner and velvet. I think the shelf liner works better.

Most of hers are about the same size, maybe around 2ish inches? I like them in all sizes though, little ones are cute esp for pigtails, but I like big ones sometimes too.

Here are a couple of links to my favorite clippy sites, plus a link to some felt pony-o's. I don't know if you have any interest in those, but it's just another idea. I put M's hair in a ponytail a lot, so I love cute ponytail holders! Since scrunchies are not so cool anymore, haha.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/sugarsweetbowtique?section_id=5855177

https://www.etsy.com/shop/lemondropbaby?ref=seller_info

https://www.thebowtique.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=Clippies

https://www.thebowtique.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=PonyOs/PiggyBows&Sub=58&isThumbs=Yes&Thumbs=100

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with Jenny, putting up Jocelyn's hair is a MUST, it just gets in her face otherwise. I think the alligator clips that are 2 inches work well,and I agree that a no slip grip is what I prefer. Most of the ones I buy have them in it, if they don't I just use no skid shelf liner from Wal-Mart. I've also heard just a line of hot glue works well (just hold the clip open until it dries). I've started to use a rubber band to put Jocleyn's hair on top back, but have only done a pony tail for at home, I'll have to check out those other sites.We use a variation of regular small clippies, and bows, usually a 4 inch bow now a days. I only buy from 2 Etsy places, Sugar Sweet Boutique (Jenny's first person she posted) for clippies and Joyful Jessica for bows. I pefer Joyful Jessica because she does really quick custom orders and always throws in a cute clippie for free (if you ever decide to buy from someone)!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks y'all! If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you hold one open and snap a pic? Because I'm a moron and can't really picture the no-slip part.. Or maybe just let me take a look at one next time I see one of you. :-) Can you believe my kid's almost 2, and I'm just now entering the hair accessory world? hehe...

Jenny--those pony-o's are super cute! How is the embellishment attached to the ponytail holder? Those look pretty easy to make. 

• Ok, like this?

Do yours not have ribbon over the bottom half of the clip as well--is it better to leave the metal bare?

I know I'm being incredibly annoying. hehe. TIA!

• I just took a couple of pics of one of Maddie's clips- they are the first ones in my Flickr feed (I'm pretty sure the link is in my siggy- if not I'll come back and post it). I prefer the bottom to be covered at least partially in ribbon, but I don't think it's a big deal either way.

And I haven't actually ordered any pony-o's yet, so I'm not sure how they work, lol! I would guess maybe there is an extra little piece of felt on the back that the rubber band goes through, and then is stitched on somehow? Maybe I need to order one so you can check it out, hehe. 

I am so excited to see what you come up with!

• Hughes-the stuff I bought from Walmart is that exact stuff, you posted the pic of and I glue it to the ribbon covered part of the clip. ALL of our bows have ribbon covering the top of the inside part of the clip. The no slip stuff I order from Joyful Jessica look different, not sure what she uses but she calls it "liner" and it is also glued to the ribbon covered top part of the clip.   It almost looks like double sided tape but it's not sticky. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow and post it!
  • I've made some for Allie.  And I don't use the non slip stuff.  I just hot glue ribbon to the top and bottom of the clip.  I buy the alligator clips from Walmart or Hobby Lobby.  You can order non slip grip though, from ribbon places or hair accessory places online.

I buy my bows from Sweet P Bows.  She's on Facebook. 

I love the pony o's.  LOVE.  I'll have to post some pics of Allie's.  Or you can look on Sweet P Bows facebook page.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, dbert is right, I should have taken a pic of one of her bows too. We have the JJ bows, and I actually prefer her no slip grip b/c it isn't as thick but works just as well. Although I use those little clippies all the time, so I guess it doesn't matter that much to me, lol. I'm very indecisive tonight.
  • I couldn't get a good pic.

Here is Joyful Jessica's clip:

And here is one I used the walmart liner in:

• I didn't get to read all of the above responses....but just in addition, R has to wear something in her hair or it's completely in her face and a mess!  Drives me crazy!  Anyways, I normally use 2 different methods, I bought little pony tail holders. 

They're very small and in different colors, they do great on fine hair.  They look a lot like dental floss, but obvs, it's a pony tail holder.  I got mine at Target and then I normally just put the clip in around that and I've got 2 ways to make sure that hair is not always in my child's face and we're both happy.  : )

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"