3rd Trimester

What are some reasons why a dr will induce labor?

Other than someone being over 40 weeks, what were some reasons why you had to be induced or why the doctor suggested you be induced? And did you have an option?

Re: What are some reasons why a dr will induce labor?

• To get the baby out.
  • I was induced at 39.5 weeks with my first (I was overdue based on my LMP/39.5 weeks based on my EDD from the 1st ultrasound). It was completely for my own purposes-I didnt want to deliver on Christmas day and I wanted my doctor to be there and he would have been away during my technical 1st ultrasound EDD. I had 2 EDD, which made it all the more confusing.

Many docs will induce at 39 weeks if mom has a positive bishop's score and doesn't want to be pregnant anymore based on personal factors (or they're just uncomfortable). It's not always for a medical reason-but prior to the 39 week mark, it will have to be for medical reasons. I've known military moms who induced at 39 weeks so DH could be there, people who did it for work scheduling purposes, etc.

A doctor can't physically force you to have an induction before 40 weeks, but sometimes it's done for the safety of mom and/or baby. Heck, they cant even force you to have an induction after 42 weeks, but by that point the placenta will start breaking down and the baby can potentially die.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageOliveBaby:
    To get the baby out.

Wow, that's helpful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • Please tell me you aren't trying to get induced already, at 33 weeks.  

Reasons before due dates SHOULD be medical necessity only.   PIH, Pre-E, GD causing a large baby, cervical issues, etc...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know there are plenty of medical reasons (pre-e, severe PUPPS, IUGR, etc., etc.), and for those, I totally understand.

What I don't understand, and what most inductions that I've heard about from friends and co-workers are, is inductions for convenience's sake. For instance--my friend had a few contractions at 38 weeks (totally normal), and her doctor let her be admitted to L&D to have the baby (no medical need to have the baby at that time). Of course, the contrax didn't go anywhere, so she had pitocin started 2 hours later, and it basically turned into an induction. Everyone was healthy, and I know that's all anyone really cares about...but whatever happened to just having the baby when the BABY is ready to come out, as long as mom and baby are still healthy?

Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
    Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
    Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

• I was induced on my due date with DS for "favorable cervix".  My Dr asked me if I wanted to be induced and I could've said no if I wanted to.
  • They are saying that my fluids are low and now having me come in twice a week to monitor the baby. Didnt know if that may be a reason why they would have to induce and was waiting to hear back from my doc for an answer.. Guess I am just tired of all these complications and wanted to know what other doctors were telling their patients.
  • We had a bad NST 5 days past my due date.  DS heartrate dropped several times during the test so they sent me straight to the hospital to be induced.
  • imagekdodge423:
    imagemissesru:

imageOliveBaby:
    To get the baby out.

Wow, that's helpful.

Why else would you induce?

I think any and everyone would know that...

• imagemissesru:

imageOliveBaby:
    To get the baby out.

Wow, that's helpful.

I do what I can.

• My doctor has talked about inducing me 5 days early for several reasons:  My baby is measuring rather large; I have a precancerous spot on my cervix that they are growing ever-more cautious of; and lastly, because I keep going into preterm labor - which is stressful to the baby every time it happens.

I'm assuming you are just curious and that you don't want to get induced right now. If that is NOT the case, you are asking for trouble by trying to be induced earlier than 39 weeks (which is STILL early)... NICU is no fun for anyone. Let your baby bake to full term, please.

• imagej.stalls:
    imagekdodge423:
    imagemissesru:

imageOliveBaby:
    To get the baby out.

Wow, that's helpful.

• imagej.stalls:
    imagekdodge423:
    imagemissesru:

imageOliveBaby:
    To get the baby out.

Wow, that's helpful.

• imagekdodge423:
    imagej.stalls:
    imagekdodge423:
    imagemissesru:

imageOliveBaby:
    To get the baby out.

Wow, that's helpful.

You obviously didn't since you had to ask.

Go pick up a pregnancy book. Open it. Read the words. They all over things like this.

Obviously I did know that an induction will get the baby out.. Save your rude a** comments and get a life... I have enough baby books and having my 3rd baby.. If I want to ask other ladies why they got induced, I CAN!!! from reading past posts it seems like Doctors were inducing for other reason that I didnt understand..

• 12-17-2010 at 11:24 AM
    j.stalls
    Not Ranked
    Joined on 03-06-2002
    Beverly Hills, MI
    4,561 Points
    j.stalls is online. Last active: 12-17-2010, 10:40 AMNewbie
    -->
    -->
    They are saying that my fluids are low and now having me come in twice a week to monitor the baby. Didnt know if that may be a reason why they would have to induce and was waiting to hear back from my doc for an answer.. Guess I am just tired of all these complications and wanted to know what other doctors were telling their patients.

To answer your question, if you are being monitored for your fluid levels there is a possibility that they could induce you if your fluids get too low because it is dangerous for the baby.  I have read that depending on the circumstance, the doctors may suggest the induction of labor as early as 34 weeks if the baby does not have enough amniotic fluid for sustenance. 

The premies at 34 weeks have to spend time in the NICU but they more often than not are released within a few weeks just as healthy as a term baby.  Did they put you on bedrest?  They will try to keep you pregnant as long as possible for your and baby's sake.  Hopefully everything works out and you can make it to term!!!

• imagemecmed2009:

To answer your question, if you are being monitored for your fluid levels there is a possibility that they could induce you if your fluids get too low because it is dangerous for the baby.  I have read that depending on the circumstance, the doctors may suggest the induction of labor as early as 34 weeks if the baby does not have enough amniotic fluid for sustenance. 

The premies at 34 weeks have to spend time in the NICU but they more often than not are released within a few weeks just as healthy as a term baby.  Did they put you on bedrest?  They will try to keep you pregnant as long as possible for your and baby's sake.  Hopefully everything works out and you can make it to term!!!

Thank you... And no, they havent put me on bedrest just yet. The doctor wants to take more test before they suggest anything. My last child was in  NICU for a few weeks and it was the worse. So that is something I def dont want to go through again. Just trying to see what may happen if the tests dont come back good or why other doctors suggested an induction.

• imagej.stalls:
    imagemecmed2009:

Thank you... And no, they havent put me on bedrest just yet. The doctor wants to take more test before they suggest anything. My last child was in  NICU for a few weeks and it was the worse. So that is something I def dont want to go through again. Just trying to see what may happen if the tests dont come back good or why other doctors suggested an induction.

I could have sworn I read posts where women with low AF drink tons and tons of water to help increase it - has your dr. discussed anything like that? I haven't myself had this issue but I'm just trying to think back...I know 33 weeks is early and I would be nervous too!
  • I was induced at 38w6d due to uric acid in my blood work at L&D (which I got sent to since my blood pressure at my NST was high)
    TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • imagej.stalls:
    imagemecmed2009:

Well good luck with everything!!!  This is my 1st baby and my first OB told me at 6wks that she was going to induce me before 40 weeks because "nothing good happens after 40 weeks".  Over time, that made me uncomfortable so I asked her to elaborate and she said something about the placenta beginning to rot, the baby being too big, etc.  She said that women are designed to birth 6-7# babies.  When she said that, that was a HUGE red flag.  Luckily, I have a background working in Labor and Delivery at a hospital in my city and one of the doctors (who is AWESOME) took me on as a new patient at 28wks and told me that everything the other doctor said was to scare me into having my baby on HER schedule.  She said after 40wks, if there is no medical reason to induce, she will allow her patients to go to as late as 42wks.  Women who are uncomfortable with non-medical inductions should make sure they are being clearly told by their doctors why induction is medically necessary.

• imageOliveBaby:
    To get the baby out.

really?

why even respond at all lol....

• I scheduled for an induction with our first b/c of GD, but he decided to come a few days early.  I haven't spoken to my doc about it yet for this pregnancy (just diagnosed with GD earlier this week) but I assume he'll do the same this time around.

(c) Holly Aprecio Photography - Oct 2011

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wow Mecmed2009, that is crazy..  I keep hearing of all these reasons why doctors are inducing and they really dont seem to make sense half the time. My husband kept saying that he read drinking more water would help... Guess he was right..lol  I go and see my doctor on Sunday and had planned to ask her all of this anyways..
  • imagej.stalls:
    imagekdodge423:
    imagej.stalls:
    imagekdodge423:
    imagemissesru:

imageOliveBaby:
    To get the baby out.

Wow, that's helpful.

Go pick up a pregnancy book. Open it. Read the words. They all over things like this.

Obviously I did know that an induction will get the baby out.. Save your rude a** comments and get a life... I have enough baby books and having my 3rd baby.. If I want to ask other ladies why they got induced, I CAN!!! from reading past posts it seems like Doctors were inducing for other reason that I didnt understand..

Just ignore dumb comments from people like this.. These ladies obviously have nothing better to do than be annoying lol I appreciate your question..

I have chronic placental abruption which in the past has dropped my fluid level down to a four. Induction is a possibility when I reach full term bc of all of the medication, bleeding and 5 hospitalizations for preterm labor. In some cases it can be better to deliver than risk the chance of a high bleed when you are already considered full term. Not sure yet if we will induce, just depends on what my body does after I stop my meds every four hours and get to get off of bedrest that I have been on since I was 14 weeks pregnant. (I am now 32 weeks, and sooo happy)

• My Dr. has told me to prepare for an inuction at 39 wks, just in case.  Our baby is measuring rather large and my BP has creeped up a bit so right now we are just keeping an eye on it but induction is possible. 
  • Re: the posts about the low fluid - i was induced at 37 weeks 6 days with my first LO because my fluid got down to a 4, and they said that is dangerously low and you do not have enough time to get it up on your own by drinking a lot of fluids. At that point in your pregnancy you can't just bring it up by drinking a lot...at least that's what they told me.
  • My doctor wants to induce with this one b/c my first baby came extremely quickly - 2 hours from start to finish. She said b/c subsequent labors are often faster (and b/c we live 45 mins from the hospital) she doesn't want me delivering at home or in the car on the side of the road somewhere. She's starting my internals a week early at 35w and will monitor my effacement/dilation to determine when we should do it. Prob at 38 weeks b/c my first came at 39w1d but she says it will all depend on if my cervix is ready.

Also, her policy is never to induce a first time mom before 40 weeks...unless of course there is some medical emergency.

•  Bedrest since 14 weeks pregnant?!? I bet you are happy. I thought I had it bad... I hope everything goes well for you from here on! Thanks for your input and advice!!

• imageMrsLynnyD:
    imagej.stalls:
    imagemecmed2009:

I could have sworn I read posts where women with low AF drink tons and tons of water to help increase it - has your dr. discussed anything like that? I haven't myself had this issue but I'm just trying to think back...I know 33 weeks is early and I would be nervous too!

I am in the middle of dealing with this right now, and yes, that is what the Dr ordered - bedrest and about a gallon a day of water. They discovered it at 29 weeks and mentioned that if this course of action did not improve the fluid levels, then they would put me int he hospital to deliver (scary thing to hear at 29 weeks). So far so good though. My levels haven't gotten much better but are steady at 8 and have only gotten as low as 7 (danger zone is anything under 5 usually - that is when they will consider delivering).

If they haven't suggested anything at this point, your fluid might not be dangerously low, so they just want to keep an eye on it. Did they give you an indication of how low your levels are?

• My fluid was at a 2.5 (dangerously low) and I had an emergency induction an hour later.
  • My doc classified it as advanced dilation, as I was 6 cm dilated at my 39 week appointment and not in active labor.  She didn't want me having DD in one of the tunnels around town and I didn't want that either.  Everything went well and DD was very healthy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • One of the women I know just spent a long and painful weekend on petocin. She was whining about her hips hurting and the baby weighed more than they wanted it to for delivery. So about 2 weeks before the due date the doctor gave in and they had to induce her 3 times and break her water for her before anything moved along.

These are things I don't understand either. If baby is not ready to come and your body isnt ready to go into labor and the only thing wrong is that you're hips are  "uncomfortable" grow some ovaries and deal with it! Its disgraceful to other women. 

• imagej.stalls:
    They are saying that my fluids are low and now having me come in twice a week to monitor the baby. Didnt know if that may be a reason why they would have to induce and was waiting to hear back from my doc for an answer.. Guess I am just tired of all these complications and wanted to know what other doctors were telling their patients.

Why didn't you just say this to begin with?

I've had a couple friends be induced for this reason. Hopefully your doc will get back to you- are you just waiting for your next appointment or are you expecting a call?

• imagej.stalls:
    imagekdodge423:
    imagej.stalls:
    imagekdodge423:
    imagemissesru:

imageOliveBaby:
    To get the baby out.

Wow, that's helpful.

Amen! Isn't the point of these boards to share information and experiences? If you don't want to participate in sharing useful information then simply DON'T post a reply. GL j.stalls

• imagepkate98:
    I was induced on my due date with DS for "favorable cervix".  My Dr asked me if I wanted to be induced and I could've said no if I wanted to.

Basically same for me, except I was over due. 

• It's really too bad that more doctor's don't prescribe to the 'theory' that women's bodies were designed to have babies.  Real medical reasons for induction aside..... there sure are a ton of 'excuses' for speeding up nature.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • They are talking about having me come in early for a c-section because I was having real contractions and was dialated 2 cms and everytime I would have a contraction her heartrate would go down low and stay that way. But I guess that is different than an induction.

The high risk ob basically said it would have to be early so I don't go in to natural labor and let it go too long. I have been on bed rest since 24 wks and have a cervical cerclage because of early dialation.

Good luck. I know all the appts are a pain but it could be worse and it is for babies sake. They are hard for me too cause i can't drive so I have to find a ride 2-3 times a week! I owe so many favors these days.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekdodge423:

imageeturp:
    imagej.stalls:

from reading past posts it seems like Doctors were inducing for other reason that I didnt understand..

Amen! Isn't the point of these boards to share information and experiences? If you don't want to participate in sharing useful information then simply DON'T post a reply. GL j.stalls

No. They are to make money off advertising to increase the bank accounts of the boad of directors. This site exists to make money. Don't kid yourself that they care for a moment if you are getting helpful answers or not.

BTW OP, the part I left of your post- completely different than what you actually asked.

Ok Surly Susie, come off it. While the website may have been created to make money I doubt any of us come here to contribute to their profit.

OP asked a generic question, yes, but it wasn't a stupid one that deserved to have the answer "to have a baby". That is just a smart @ss remark with no purpose or helpfulness.  Even if she didn't have AF issues, her question was valid.  Regardless of her reasoning behind asking it, knowing why other people were induced is helpful information for any pregnant woman and I personally found many of the responses to be informative and useful for this pregnancy and future pregnancies.

• imagemidnight*sun:
    OP asked a generic question, yes, but it wasn't a stupid one that deserved to have the answer "to have a baby". That is just a smart @ss remark with no purpose or helpfulness.  Even if she didn't have AF issues, her question was valid.  Regardless of her reasoning behind asking it, knowing why other people were induced is helpful information for any pregnant woman and I personally found many of the responses to be informative and useful for this pregnancy and future pregnancies.

Actually, principessa, the purpose was to be silly and get a chuckle because it's the obvious DUH answer to an incredibly generic question. Unbunch your panties!

• imageOliveBaby:
    To get the baby out.

haha this.  high blood pressure.  baby in distress. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"