Preemies

HSG (uterus dye test)

I know one or two mom's on this board awhile ago had said they had the HSG test done to see if their uterus has any weird things going on that may have contributed to the premature delivery....I am having it done on Friday and wanted to hear what to expect from someone who did it?!?

My doctor is helping me run a bunch of tests to help me ease my mind on possibly trying for number two.

Re: HSG (uterus dye test)

• I had an HSG about 1 mo before getting pregnant. We'd been trying for a year and that was the first test my doctor ordered. Apparently, it was enough...

My test wasn't too bad. I read a lot of horror stories before hand, but it wasn't terrible. I had to lay on an x-ray table for pictures of my tubes and uterus before they started the test. Then, my doctor came in and fed a catheter through the cervix. Once the radiologist arrived, my doctor injected dye through the cath and they took more pictures as the dye traveled through my uterus and tubes. I was able to see the same screen the doctor's were looking at and they told me right then that everything looked good. It was nice to not have to wait for the results.

The test itself was not comfortable (if you can, take some pain meds before your procedure). The catheter insertion caused a bit of cramping, as did, the dye insertion. Very similar to period cramps. I actually had a bit of pain once the test was over. My nurse was awesome and let me lay in a little ball on the table for about 15min until it subsided. I was warned to bring my own pad because the one the hospital gives is huge. I used a pad for 2-3 days after as the dye filtered out of my system.

I did go back to work the same day, but was pretty uncomfortable (full feeling and crampy) the rest of the afternoon so I wish I had just taken the day off. I felt pretty normal by the next day and completely back to myself by 3 days later.

Good luck with your test. I hope everything turns out ok for you. 

• i had an HSG as one of the first tests my RE did for IF. ?it wasn't bad at all. ?just some pressure...but they did numb my cervix before the test. ?the annoying part was the dye leaking out after...so bring a pad with you to protect your underwear...and wear granny style underwear to the test.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an HSG three months after ds's birth to make sure that I didn't have any uterine abnormalities that contributed to his preterm delivery. They warned me when I go there that the test was going to hurt really badly. However, I didn't feel a thing except a tiny bit of pressure. It was no more uncomfortable than a pap. They said that my uterus looks perfectly normal so that certainly wasn't the cause. Also, the nurse pulled me aside afterwards and asked if we were planning to have any more kids right away. I told her no and she told me to be EXTRA careful when having sex because for some reason they see lots of people who get pregnant immediately after having the test. Page me if you have any additional questions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had the HSG done 1 year after having DS at 33 weeks to check my uterus shape.  I switched doctors and my new doc is very proactive.  The test itself wasn't that bad --little painful pinches here and there but that was it. 

The HSG I had induced a very painful period!  Lots of cramping.  That's about it...oh and I have a normal shaped uterus so that wasn't what caused my preterm delivery. 

• Mine wasn't bad at all. I had it done before I conceived because we were dealing IF. I did have a shock though because my uterus showed I had a septum. I had it partially removed but there is still a little left. The doctors assured me that it wouldn't affect my pregnancy but I think it did.

Anyways, the reason why they say that you may get pregnant more easily after an HSG is because the dye flushes your tubes out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"