Multiples
Options

Got feeding advice from a friend with twins

and I'm not sure what to think of it.  She put her son and daughter on a strict feeding schedule of 3 hours and made them both finish their bottles no matter how long it took.  My girls are eating every 3-4 hours and anything from 2-4 oz. per feeding.  My friend had her babies eat the same amount every feeding and as soon as they wanted more, that was the new amount.

I can't imagine spending 2 hours to get one of my girls to finish the whole 4 oz. and then only getting an hour of sleep and waking up to do it again.  Right now it's hard enough because one girl always seems to wake up earlier for the next feeding than the other.  So I'm always trying to make one of them wait until her sister wakes up...

Fiona & Julia imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 23 mos. TTC, MFI, IUI #1&2 BFN, IVF #1 = BFP!!!

Re: Got feeding advice from a friend with twins

• Options
    I am all about the schedule, but the amount. You can't force them to eat more, trust me from my experience, when I tried to make them finish the bottle or eat more than normal, it just comes right back up and that means their stomachs aren't ready. Babies will let us know when it's time to increase feedings. I firmly believe that!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I make mine finish their bottles (if they leave a half ounce I don't care, but above that I keep going). It has taken me an hour at times, but normally it takes a half hour, which I'm fine with. I would never take 2 hours to feed them. That's crazy! I also let mine demand feed, within certain time parameters (2.5-3.5 hrs). I started this from the very beginning b/c my boys lost weight for the first few weeks and were just awful at feeding (and still are thanks to acid reflux). I was told by my pedi that I had to get them to take a certain minimum, so I got used to forcing them to take a certain amount. If they don't get a full feeding they wake up at different times and I'm not dealing with that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds like she is going to have a couple fat kids down the road. Those poor kids are going to be sitting at the kitchen table their whole life being forced to eat!  It's said/written everywhere that babies will dictate what they should be eating and that amount can vary from one feeding to the next (as you well know.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMeL2185:
    I am all about the schedule, but the amount. You can't force them to eat more, trust me from my experience, when I tried to make them finish the bottle or eat more than normal, it just comes right back up and that means their stomachs aren't ready. Babies will let us know when it's time to increase feedings. I firmly believe that!

That might be true for most babies, but with mine and their god-awful acid reflux, if I didn't force them they'd eat about 1oz at a feeding. Every feeding they do is a battle b/c it hurts them to eat. So some people can't rely on their babies' cues. 

• Options
    imagecaden:

imageMeL2185:

That might be true for most babies, but with mine and their god-awful acid reflux, if I didn't force them they'd eat about 1oz at a feeding. Every feeding they do is a battle b/c it hurts them to eat. So some people can't rely on their babies' cues. 

I feel for you, all 3 of my babies are terrible eaters and if I didn't push them to eat more they would only eat about an ounce too...I know some people don't understand this...Mine all have severe reflux too.  It is a constant battle of feeding...OH I can't wait until they don't need bottles anymore! I get the comment about...don't force them to eat, they will eat when they want/need, but in some cases it just doesn't happen that way...

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers Beta #1 9/23= 81 on 10dpo 1st u/s 10/1/09=too early 2nd u/s scheduled for 10/14/09=3 heartbeats...OMG 2 BOYS & a GIRL!!!! Triplets born 33w,4 d due to PRE-E 4 pounds, 5 oz. each Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

While I won't force feed, if a baby is particularly sleepy and uninterested I'm going to try to encourage him/her finish his/her bottle if it's a decent amount left because I don't want that baby waking up an hour later because they want a snack.  My 2 eat different amounts (DS does 5oz - sounds like a lot but he kept demanding more until we got to 5oz and DD is just starting to do 3.5).

I'm more apt to encourage DS to eat more just because he's less barfy than his sister.  If she says she's done, she usually means it!

• Options

Sorry ladies,

I didn't reazlie about reflux and having to make them take a bottle. Didn't mean to sound like I know it all, I don't even come close to knowing much..

Haha, rely on this board alot,

anyways just wanted to say sorry.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was ona  3 hour schedule and would try to make them finish their bottles...for like 20-30 mns..after that I would give up.

They would get easily distracted or bored, so that's why I say I would "make"them.  You can't really force them, but I see how you can sort of make them have a little more.  That wa sthe key to keeping the same schedule and the key to keeping my sanity.

And no, they are not fat :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I always make mine finish their bottles. If I let them eat when they wanted and what they wanted I would be feeding snacking babies all day long. However, if they took more then an hour they were done (usually didn't take that long). I didn't force them to eat every X amount of hours though, they set that schedule.
  • Options
    imageMeL2185:

Sorry ladies,

I didn't reazlie about reflux and having to make them take a bottle. Didn't mean to sound like I know it all, I don't even come close to knowing much..

Haha, rely on this board alot,

anyways just wanted to say sorry.

That's nice of you to apologize but you don't need to : ) Before I had kids I had no clue that babies could be so bad at feeding. I had heard people say BFing was hard, but no one told me bottle feeding could be also. I used to think babies stopped when they were full too.

• Options
    I did that for the 1st week I had my babies home bc the NICU nurses said that they had to eat a certian amount every 3 hours day and night. It would sometimes take 2 hrs to feed burp and change them by the time I actually got to sleep I would have to wake up 30 mins later. When we went to the ped he said to feed on demand. Their weights were fine so there was no need to force feed. Once I started letting them make their own feeding schedules then they would eat every 3-4 hrs and they actually started eating more and feedings would only take about 30 mins. Up until about 8 weeks if one would wake at night I would wake the other just so I wouldnt be up with the other a hr later. Once they started doing 5-6 hrs at night I stopped waking the other and the both quickly started doing 8-9 hrs.
  • Options

My girls are on schedule now, and I guess I "make" them finish their bottle.  I mean, if there is .5 oz left, so be it.  But babies do get distracted, etc. as others have mentioned, so you do sometimes need to get them to finish.  I've never FORCE FED them though! 

Also, if you watch the total number of ounces per day, you are not making your children obese.  I think it's pretty easy to gauge when the baby is really full, or when they are playing around and not focusing, and thus not eating.  I don't let them play around during eating time.  I imagine that's what your friend meant.

Also, if one baby is hungry and it's not "feeding time" I just feed them both.  But for the most part, they eat on schedule (which for me is give/take 15 min from the "set" time).

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I should have added that I would NEVER sit there for 2 hours to get the baby to finish.  I didn't have reflux babies, so maybe the reflux Moms had to do this (??? Not sure), but generally speaking that's not the norm.
    Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"