South Florida Babies
Options

Extended BFing

DD still nurses once or twice a day. I always figured that if we made it to the one year mark, that would be around the time I would cut it off. But now that we're here, I'm really in no rush to wean her. The once or twice a day that we do it are not inconvenient or bothersome to me in any way, and emotionally, I still like sharing that bond with her.

The last few days DH has asked me when I plan to wean her completely. He's always been super supportive of mine and Emma's BFing relationship, but I guess he always assumed that I would stop when she turned a year old. I guess he has a co-worker whose wife nursed her son until he was 2 years old and then at that point the kid was so attached that weaning him was a nightmare. DH doesn't want me to continue breastfeeding till she's 2, much less after that. He can't really pinpoint why it bothers him, he just thinks she's getting too old for it already.

Right now I don't feel like she is overly attached to the breast. She doesn't rely on it to go to sleep. She doesn't ask for it in public. I don't offer it but I don't refuse it. When she asks for it (always at home), I just do it, but I feel like if I really wanted to, I could very easily distract her with another activity or with some normal milk and she wouldn't put up too much of a fight. She won't choose my boob over a sippy cup of normal milk or a snack or an interesting toy. If it were up to me, I wouldn't mind continuing to breastfeed her until we get ready to TTC #2 which will probably be around or after her 2nd birthday.

So for those of you who nursed past the one year mark - did you feel like it was more difficult to ultimately wean your child because they were a little older? Do you see any harm in continuing to do it too much longer?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Extended BFing

• Options

I really let her lead the way and also did "don't offer, don't refuse".  By the time she started walking she really got distracted and had very little desire to nurse.  I nursed until 14 months and she pretty much stopped.  It was easy to wean.  I wasn't producing very much and she just wanted to run and go play. 

Do what makes you comfortable.  People make all kind of judgments whether you nurse/don't nurse/nurse for too long/too short... it's so much.  Do what works for you and Emma.  You'll know when it's the right time for you to stop.  

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Hi Jen! I find nothing wrong with BFing past 1 year. Now, this is my take on 2 years...Evan is now 2 yrs old and I couldn't imagine BFing him at this stage in his life...they aren't babies at this stage anymore and they can talk...he says the word boob when he sees me BF the baby for goodness sake and he's called me "vaca" a few times as well. LOL But this is my experience...I am sure there are many other women who feel comfortable BFing past 2 and that's fine!

I BFed Big E until 13.5 months and my intentions were originally to start weaning before he turned 1 so that by the time he was 1, he would be completely weaned.  But I postponed it a bit since neither of us were ready for that step. Then he started biting me and I said no more! So I took it easy and weaned him over 4 weeks or so and it was easier than I thought. And this is considering that I had a very established milk supply and was feeding him every 4-5 hours by that point so I am sure that once you decide to wean her, it will be much easier for you and take less time. At first, it was a bit rough emotionally because even though I knew it was time to wean, I really did enjoy the bonding. But it was definitely nice to have my body back for a little bit (since I got my 1st period 2 weeks after I weaned and got pregnant in the next cycle).

So definitely do what makes you comfortable. If you want to keep going just talk to your husband and try to make him understand.   

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi Jen,

Lucas is pretty much doing the same thing, he nurses probably twice a day...sometimes three and probably more for comfort.  This is new for me since Mateo stopped on his own at 10 1/2 months. I'm thinking I'm going to let him lead the way, I don't mind since this might be our last baby, I'm enjoying it for now ;)

Nat

• Options
    I don't really have any advice but just to do whatever makes you comfortable and whatever you're happy with.    
  • Options
    No advice, but just wanted to give you props!  : )
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I BF'd my last one until 28 months. I was originally going to let him self wean - but I became pregnant & my breasts were too sore to continue.

It was no harder to wean him than it was my first two (weaned at 14 months & 9 months)

I say do what YOU feel is best for your baby.

• Options
    super late on this one, but I would say just do whatever feels comfortable for YOU. I think don't offer, don't refuse sounds like a great plan but if she keeps asking for it, you might have to draw the line somewhere. Personally I could have kept on forever but I decided to mentally set a "date" and it would be the easiest for everyone. So I started to slowly wean, first from the pump (while I was at work) and then from the baby. By the time I stopped completely, I was only nursing once a day (I think it was more for me than him at that point) and honestly I don't think nico even noticed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"