New Jersey Babies

Which hospital in Central NJ?

I want to schedule an OB/GYN appt before getting pregnant so I can make sure I take all of the necessary steps.  I really don't know who to go to because I don't know which hospital the doc is affiliated with.  I have a fear of hospitals to begin with, so I would rather go somewhere where I don't get anxious!  Since I'm not from NJ, I have been asking my Jersey friends.  I have been told: St. Barnabas, Robert Wood Johnson, St. Peter's, Overlook, Morristown....any good experiences at these hospitals??

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Which hospital in Central NJ?

• It really depends on the kind of birth experience you are looking for.  Those are all hospitals that take on high risk births so their births tend to be very medicalized - not necessarily a good thing if you have hospital anxiety.  They also all have pretty high cesarean rates.  Morristown is the only hospital listed that has midwives on staff (actually, I think Overlook has 1 or 2) which can make things a little bit more laid back (but it still depends on your provider).  I have a friend that works at Morristown and was telling me that they offer moms a massage after birth which sounds pretty good to me.  LOL!  I think if I were going to choose among the, I'd go with Morristown since they are the only one that offers waterbirth but I think that would be very cool.  Only a couple providers will attend waterbirths though.  If you know that you want to go in and get an epidural right away, any of those hospitals would be fine choices.
    R & R: est 2003 LOs: 4/2005, 10/2007, 2/2011 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just had my baby at Overlook three weeks ago and can not say enough good things about the experience. From the minute I arrived until I left everyone I encountered was amazing.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKristiep1971:
    I just had my baby at Overlook three weeks ago and can not say enough good things about the experience. From the minute I arrived until I left everyone I encountered was amazing.

Overlook is absolutely amazing

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have delivered all three of my kids @ St. Barnabas w/ the same OB/GYN group and i cant say enough great things about the hospital or the OB -- i am currently pregnant and due in early april and will deliver there again. 
  • I delivered 2 out of 3 kids at St. Peters! Amazing nursing staff and my OB group is awesome as well. I use Obstetrical and Gynecologic group of East Brunswick. Dr. Owunna is the best!
  • I have delivered both of my children at St. Peter's and can't say enough good things about them!  My first DS has to spend time in the NICU, and they were fantastic.  I also love the nurses and pretty much all the staff there.  St. Peter's is about an hour from where I currently live, but I still felt like I had to deliver there since I had such a great experience wtih them the first time around.  Good luck!
  • I had my son at Robert Wood and had no complaints. I am due in six weeks with my second and will have him at RWJ as well. I don't really compare hospital luxuries though, I wanted to get in, have my baby safely and get out. My son was in the NICU overnight and I felt he was very well taken care of. I know a few ppl who babies at overlook and said it was AWESOME though. Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• my ob//gyn is in clark, we delivered both of m kids and soon to be twins at jfk in edison
  • St. Peter's is the best in NJ for high-risk births.  RWJ is wonderful also.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
  • Hi, Overlook Hospital is actually having a "Doc-Tour Day" OB-GYN open house tomorrow night from 6-7.  It's free and you can meet + talk to a bunch of different doctors and see who you connect with.  I got a postcard about it in the mail and I'm planning to go :)  Registration is online -

https://ceii.atlantichealth.org/class/results.asp?search_type=class&display_full=1&cn=Doc-Tour+Day&ct=0&k=

Hope this helps ... I'm 4 weeks after IVF and just starting to think about this, it's like "oh my gosh, it worked, now what do I do :)"

D

D (34), J (37) and T3 (ages 2, 2 and brand new)
    Nov '10: IVF#1: BFP! Girl. Missed m/c at 14 weeks. Devastated
    Apr '11: IVF#2: BFP! Twin Girls born on Dec 3, 2011 at 31w5d! One month in NICU.
    Oct '13: IVF#3: BFP! Girl born Jun 19, 2014 at 38w3d!
  • imagedanalawrence:

Hi, Overlook Hospital is actually having a "Doc-Tour Day" OB-GYN open house tomorrow night from 6-7.  It's free and you can meet + talk to a bunch of different doctors and see who you connect with.  I got a postcard about it in the mail and I'm planning to go :)  Registration is online -

https://ceii.atlantichealth.org/class/results.asp?search_type=class&display_full=1&cn=Doc-Tour+Day&ct=0&k=

Hope this helps ... I'm 4 weeks after IVF and just starting to think about this, it's like "oh my gosh, it worked, now what do I do :)"

D

Congrats!  That's so exciting!  I just scheduled an OB/GYN appt with a doctor affiliated with Overlook.  I am petrified of hospitals (White Coat Syndrome) and this one at least has a view that I can enjoy while I'm there!  When we are ready to have a baby!  I'm a planner, so I have to get all of this situated beforehand!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I would strongly recommend the Jersey Shore University Medical Center?s maternity program in New Jersey. They are known to be the best in the region and have excellent programs that cater to pre pregnancy as well as post pregnancy needs. Even women looking for alternative child birth options are given all information and related services of certified midwifes. They have various safety measures for the new born in the hospital. Moreover, their multi-session Childbirth Preparation Program prepares every couple for a natural and a normal process of delivering a baby. The program extensively deals with physical and emotional changes that may occur during the course of pregnancy and the practice sessions help to learn breathing and relaxing, designed for one to go through a smooth labor. They have experts on panel and hold a human approach to maternity concerns. Go to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"