July 2011 Moms

Appropriate clothes for work "effective immediately"

Background: I work at a law school as an administrative assistant in the business office. (dress code is business casual)

So last night about 15 minutes before I got off work my boss calls me into her office. She said to me that because of the new transition of the school (non-profit to for-profit) our Presidents visitors have begun noticing things. (They're crackin down on petty things on everyone) She said that it is unacceptable for me to wear jeans any day of the week except for Fridays. And that "effective immediately" I had to dress to the standards of the dress code. I am in violation with the jean waring but right now (as I explained to her) I do not have the clothes, nor the funds to go out and buy maternity work clothes. I have plenty of dress tops that I would wear with dark colored jeans to dress them up but it's not good enough. I've been using the rubber-band method and I showed her too so she would see that I wasn't lieing. I explained to her my financial situation and no mercy. I am sitting at work right now in my pre-pregnancy pants (i'm now 11 weeks) and i can feel my pants cutting into my stomach. I am very incomfortable, not to mention the difficulty breathing. I'm not saying I don't want to follow the dress code, but i would have appreciated a couple days of liniency to go out and look for some inexpensive maternity work pants. I don't know how to go about handling this or if I should just deal with it, or bring it to her attention that I am very uncomfortable. Any suggestions ladies? 

Re: Appropriate clothes for work "effective immediately"

• Lately I have lived in cotton dresses with leggings and boots. Check discount stores like Marshalls and TJMaxx. Was she willing to give you a cash advance? I would ask for one.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

• try kmart, jcpenny and khols. Jcpenny had some nice dress/work clothes for cheap. Skirts for $12. pants for $15. The last time I went.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Try the sale racks at Target and Kohls... both have maternity and both are cheap.  If you are just looking for basic black pants I'm sure you can find something there easy enough.

You can also buy a Be Band at target for $12 and wear with your pre-pg pants unbuttoned....

BFP#1 11.2.10 | EDD 7.9.11 | HB 7w2d & 8w4d | missed M/C 11w2d | D&E 12.21.10
    FSH at 14.5 - 4.21.11 | CCCT - (CD3 8.8,CD10 12.2)| dx w/ DOR @ 28 yrs old
    IUI#1 + clomid 8.29.11 (our anniversary)
    BFP#2 9.10.11 | EDD 5.21.12 | beta 1 @ 14dpi:232 | beta 2 @17dpi:703 | beta 3 @24dpi:7,174
    Baby A HB of 142(7w), 161(8w), 164(9w) | Baby B no HB, Vanishing Twin
  • imagestefanie_cbc:
    Lately I have lived in cotton dresses with leggings and boots. Check discount stores like Marshalls and TJMaxx. Was she willing to give you a cash advance? I would ask for one.

This, Old Navy has plain, opaque black leggings for $10 and if you wanted to order online, I may have a coupon you could use.  Also, you could try some local Goodwills, or Salvation Army.  Also, I walked past Motherhood Maternity this AM, and noticed that they are having several good sales.  You might want to check them out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not above consignment stores.  They have lots of good stuff.  Or, try Freecycle.  You might find some stuff there.

It sucks, but if its company policy, and people are breathing down her neck, it might not be a choice.  If they're cracking down that hard, it seems there may be consequences as well.  Good luck.

• Thanks ladies, that's where I was going to look this weekend once I got paid on Friday (even before she brought it to my attention that was my plan) but meanwhile I'm suffering with this unecessary pressure in my lower abdomen. I'm sorry don't mean to vent.
  • Sometimes Salvation Army or Goodwill has maternity items, especially if you go into a more affluent area you may find some nice things. 

Ask for gift cards for Christmas?  Or see if your Mom/SO has bought you a gift yet, and if not ask them to take you clothes shopping.

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• I work in a corporate office and wear 'business' everyday.  I have no intention of buying more than 2-3 maternity items when the time comes. 

Just cause you have to wear your dress pants doesn't mean you can't unbotton them like you do your jeans!  Definitely pick up a belly band from Target.  If you need to, you can pick up just a couple of inexpensive long camisoles or tank tops to wear under the dressy tops you already have to help hide the belly band. 

Keep your eyes peeled for coupons to Old Navy and when you outgrow your current clothes, buy a pair or two of maternity trousers (the more basic the better, ie a black pair and a gray pair).  You can wear those almost every day with a different top and no one will notice.  And a lightweight wool will be versatile enough to get you through until the summer months too.

Good luck!

• imagemzliz312:
    Thanks ladies, that's where I was going to look this weekend once I got paid on Friday (even before she brought it to my attention that was my plan) but meanwhile I'm suffering with this unecessary pressure in my lower abdomen. I'm sorry don't mean to vent.

You can vent anytime you want.  That's what the purpose of this board is. ((hugs))

• Can you go to a Motherhood store? They have work pants for $30. Maybe you can get away with buying 1 pair of black work pants and just washing them in the middle of the week. 

sorry, it does suck. It would be nice if she would give you until Monday to get on board with the dress policy, and there's a possibility that she is just late in delivering the news to you. Either way it sucks, but I'd try to get something sooner rather than wear jeans in to work.  

BabyFruit Ticker

• You got some good suggestions and should be able to get 1 or 2 bottoms to wear very inexpensively.

I would point out, though, that it would behoove you to follow her advice and heed her warning ASAP.  Your financial situation will get a lot worse if you no longer have a job. I don't mean to be harsh, but it sounds like this was a serious talking to from your boss, something not to be taken lightly.

• I agree with the posters who suggested the consignment stores- I have a friend that goes there for all of her maternity wear & baby clothes. She says she gets maternity pants (nice- they've only been used for a few months) for under $10. GL! 
  • honestly, try ebay or craigslist for maternity wear.
  • Thank you ladies! I don't think you all got what I was saying but it's ok. Going shopping tomorrow :)
  • imagemzliz312:
    Thank you ladies! I don't think you all got what I was saying but it's ok. Going shopping tomorrow :)

I just have to ask - what do you mean by this? (not trying to be snarky, I'm just curious)

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"