Pregnant after 35
Options

CVS next week

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board and the site in general. I'm 10 weeks along in my first pregnancy. 

I am having a CVS next week.  I was wondering if those of you who had one can tell me what the procedure is like? Is it painful? How long did it take? The doctor told me to allow for 4 hours, but I'm not sure how long the actual procedure is. 

TIA!

Re: CVS next week

• Options
    I haven't had a CVS but congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome to the board.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    dumb question - I'm full of them lately - but do they routinely do CVS testing or only if it's indicated?  I need to start researching tests - I'm still in denial about my age.  I was 25 & 27 with my last pregnancies....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, YaraC!
  • Options
    It's suggested if you are over 35, but it's up to you if you want to do it.  Most of my friends have done one and were glad they did because fortunately, everything was ok and they felt rest assured. Of course, I don't know what we would do if it didn't come out ok!  We figure having as much information as we can ahead of time is what we prefer.
  • Options

imageLauraLynneC:
    dumb question - I'm full of them lately - but do they routinely do CVS testing or only if it's indicated?  I need to start researching tests - I'm still in denial about my age.  I was 25 & 27 with my last pregnancies....

A good doctor will not up and recommend it without cause for concern (abnormal NT for example or history of an issue) - the risk of miscarriage is higher for CVS than amnio and usually higher than a risk of a problem. It's normally covered whether it is indicated or not if you are 35 and over so some woman just opt to get it done and out of the way.

• Options
    imageMrsDL:

imageLauraLynneC:

A good doctor will not up and recommend it without cause for concern (abnormal NT for example or history of an issue) - the risk of miscarriage is higher for CVS than amnio and usually higher than a risk of a problem. It's normally covered whether it is indicated or not if you are 35 and over so some woman just opt to get it done and out of the way.

Ummmm not sure how accurate that is. I had mine but didn't have nt scan or any other testing prior. My doctor offered it to me as an option. It wasn't as painful as the 10 days of waiting for results!!!! The procedure had to to be done twice because I am having twins. Each one took about 20 mins. They guide it by ultrasound and they go in vaginal if your placenta is posterior.  Good luck its worth the piece of mind. 

• Options
    My OB didn't even bring it up the CVS as an option, although I'd already read about it independently. Their routine is the quad screening followed by (depending on the numbers) an amnio. NT scans are not available. It really varies, sort of like week of first appt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to add an update to my post. I had my cvs yesterday and it was fine. I was very anxious, but the procedure felt similar to a pap smear.  Only thing was that the doctor who did it kept chatting with DH about baseball the whole time - I really wanted him to get one with it! 

Regarding some of the comments above,  having a CVS is a very personal decision.  I do feel that OBs should discuss the probabilities of have a chromosomal abnormality in pregnancies after 35 as well as the diagnostic options that are out there.  My OB was not pushy one way or the other but just presented the options.   My husband and I felt that they more information we can have the less anxious we will be. It may not be for everyone.Thank-you for all of your input.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

• Options
    imageMrsDL:

imageLauraLynneC:

This is no longer accurate.  According to the latest literature and statistics, the miscarriage rates for CVS and Amnio are identical, provided you are with a provider who is experienced....but the same goes for amnio. There may be a slight as in tenths of a percentage point higher risk if you have a transvaginal CVS.  Many websites have not caught up with the newest statistics.  A good doctor will give you the option for BOTH if you are over 35, as both are genetic tests that are indicated by age. A good doctor would not push genetic testing, but they would certainly give the option.  The reason not to get them done is if you and your partner decide that the results of the genetic test will not impact your decisions moving forward in your pregnancy. 

• Options

I had an amnio done 2.5 years ago, which I chose over a CVS.  At that time, my doctor told me that the risks for a m/c with amnio were less than 1/2 %, and the risks for CVS were just over 1/2 %.  

This might be extreme, but the way I looked at it, was....if you are playing Russian roulette with my baby's life, and told me which percentage you want to gamble with...I'll take the lower risk.

I asked my doctor if he had had any miscarriages with either.  This is at a very large, very respectable hospital, where he has been practicing a long time.  He said, yes, he has seen m/c with both, and that the risk was slightly higher with CVS in his own experience too.  That brought it to reality with me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"