Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

waiting until 6 months to start solids?

Anyone else waiting until the 6 month mark to start introducing rice/cereal/solids?  I'm getting mixed messages from people about when the "right" time to start is.  I've heard that waiting until 6 months allows for full maturity of digestive tract and reduces likelihood of food allergies, but then other people tell me I'm crazy for not starting already at 5 months....thoughts?   My LO doesn't sleep great at night and everyone swears starting cereal will help with that. I've also heard that's an old wives tale.

Re: waiting until 6 months to start solids?

• Options

We are waiting until 6 months or later to start solids as well. We are looking at even skipping mashes/purees and rice cereal and going right to soft finger foods. It all depends on LO though. I have found the same research as you in regards to a baby's digestive tract not being matured well enough to handle solids before the 6 month mark. There is scientific data to back this up. I don't think 6 months is a "magic" number per se though but we will hold out as long as possible and start betewen 6-9 months.

on a selffish note - Our babies grow so fast, I don't feel a personal need to speed anything else up. 

You really need to focus on what is best for your Lo and your family as a whole though and not so much on everyone else's mixed messages and opinions. Trust yourself and stand by it. Only you know whats best for your LO.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers imagePrince Spaghetti Night imageXO My Funny Valentine XO
  • Options

We'll be waiting until 7 or 8 months probably, we're in no hurry.

And solids do not help babies sleep better. I'm sure it works for some, maybe it's a coincidence; but it's definitely not the norm. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm waiting until dd is at least six months. 

I started my son at 5 months and it didn't go well.  He didn't like anything.  I don't know if it was just that it was too early or if he was just picky but he has always been a terrible eater.  I want to see if waiting makes things better for her. 

And it's definitely an old wives tale about sleeping better.  Food doesn't fill them up at this age.  It is just for taste - to to fill their tummies.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options
    We're waiting until 6 mos mostly for food allergy and digestive maturity reasons, but another reason is that we are cloth diapering and BF diapers are easier to deal with than food diapers.
  • Options

Although I've given her tastes at 5 months, I won't start solids regularly for the same reasons you mentioned.  Good for you for waiting!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wanted to wait until 6 months, but DD was giving me TONS of cues that she was ready.  The first time I gave her baby food was Thanksgiving Day, and she ate, and ate, and ate.  It was like she was saying "Finally!" lol

Like the PP said, you just have to do what's right for your family.

I think it's important to not be in a rush for your baby to grow up, but I also think it's important to be sensitive to their cues.

Yes, I know what the experts say. But the experts don't have to live with my child.   Thankfully, DD's pedi gave the green light at 4 mos.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I broke down and let DH try it last weekend - now, we won't be doing it again until 6 months-ish like I wanted in the beginning - she may have been giving cues that she was ready, but she definately wasn't - I'm pretty sure she pushed all of it back out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We are waiting as well. And we will skip purees probably too (plus jars of baby food are expensive anyway). DD is getting baptized about a week after she turns 6 months. I figure that will be a good time to celebrate with a banana :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Not really by choice, but it looks like we'll be waiting until at least 6 months. We've tried cereal/oatmeal with DD quite a few times, and it really seems like she's not ready. She's still doing that reflex thing with her tongue. All the cereal ends up on her bib!
  • Options
    I plan on discussing it with my pedi at her 4-month appointment and coming up with a plan that's best for DD. 
  • Options

I wouldn't wait just for the sake of waiting if your baby is showing signs of being ready.  I think we waited to long to start B on solids and I regret it now.  She just got so active between 5 and 6 months--sitting unassissted, army crawling, etc--and needed some more nourishment.  At our 6m well check she had fallen on the growth curve from 25th to 10th in weight and 25th to 5th in height.  She was also waking up to nurse every hour or two at night.  We started giving her fruit in the evenings (she'd been taking cereal at lunch for a couple of weeks) and it made a huge difference.  I can tell by the way her diapers fit that she's bulking up, and she's back to STTN. 

So, the short answer is, every baby is different.  Do what seems right for yours. 

• Options

I started DS at a little after 5 months because he went from STTN to up three or four times, he was reaching for food, etc.  He liked food, but didn't seem to care too much.  Then two teeth broke through in a 3 day span, and he went back to STTN.  I stopped food, and he hasn't seemed to care at all.

I'm going to wait until at least 6.5 months or so until retrying, since he doesn't mind at all. 

Write Your Own Caption Here
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"