VBAC
Options

What medical records should I request?

I have posted on here before regarding getting a second opinion on whether to VBAC for my next pregnancy or not. Up until yesterday when I had my yearly pap and 4 month pp birth control talk I was on the fence on whether I wanted to try for a VBAC or go the rout of a repeat c-section, because quiet frankly since I have had my DD and I have been reading information on both ends I am scared to go through any form of delivery. Yesterday while at my appointment I had told the nurse that DH and I wanted 3-4 children. When I said that she turned up her nose and said "well that usually dosent happen." It was then that I decided that I needed to go and get a second opinion and find another OB. My husband has been encouraging me to get my medical records for a while so that I can read what happend. If I am going to be getting a second opinion what records do I request? Should I have them sent over to my new doctor or should I get them and take them with me? Thank you for your help.

Re: What medical records should I request?

• Options

A lot of health care providers will charge for a release of records to the patient, but not charge for release of records to another medical office/hospital.  If they charge per page and you have long records, it can get pricey.  So make sure to ask about the price.  If you get them sent to the new doctor, you won't get charged for that but the new doctor might charge you if you want copies.  If you want to read the records yourself, it might be less run around to just have them released to you initially.

I would call the hospital that you delivered at.  You can have just the operative report released, or you can have all of the records from your delivery released.  In theory the operative report should contain the basic details you need about your cesarean, but getting all of your records would paint a more thorough picture I'm guessing.  Again, if you are getting charged per page, it will cost more. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Did your Dr by chance include your operative report in the information sent over to your child's pediatrician?  Mine did this, so I made a copy in case I ever wanted it.  You could check your own hospital release paperwork for at least that one piece.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

No, my doctor did not include, that I know of, the opperative report to my DD's doctor. I also did not get anything in my release paperwork. For right now I guess I am going to concentrate my search on finding a doctor and once I find a doctor I will just request the records. My concern is that not all the records will get to my second opinion doctor, that is why I though I would request and pick them up. I know this will probally be pricey but I guess I would rather pay to know that I could have a vaginal birth the next time around.

While DD is only 4 months old, I am wanting to get the ball rolling now because I want to get checked out before TTC again. I know that having a VBAC I may have to wait longer until we can try again. (I have been given the ok to go ahead if I want a repeat with my current OB) so I guess I am trying to figure it out all now so that when I do become pregnant in the future I have a doctor that is on board already.

• Options

I did not transfer any records from my old OB to my new OB.

I did request my operative report from the hospital record's department - it was about 2 pages long and it was free. I was able to request it online and they just mailed it to me, very easy. It was the only thing my new OB wanted to see. It does list the reason for the c/s, and I think it has some info about the induction, but very brief. New OB really just wanted to double check the type of incision and suturing I had.

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"