Health & Exercise
Options

Too embarressed to go to the gym

Im 6months pregnant and feel like a whale, I hate going to the gym now. I actually walk in and see people look at me, and it makes me uncomfortable. I know going to the gym would probably be good for me now that its winter, but I cant seem to pull myself out of a shell to go. I tried to do some at home exercise but everytime I start I either find DD crawling all over me, or I find something that needs to be vacuumed, or dusted or just done in general. Anyone have any ideas? I use to go to the gym and exercise and sit in the sauna, but now the sauna is outta the question. Id do the pool but honestly I dont know how to swim.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker m/c#1: 12-22-09 m/c#2: 5-22-11

Re: Too embarressed to go to the gym

• Options
    It IS good for you!! Do your best to ignore people and hold your chin up high!! Honestly, who cares what they think--and even more honestly their thought is probably "good for her!"
  • Options

I have felt that way too and then I think- I am doing this and how many other preggos make it to the gym.  Just think that after the baby, all the time you put in going to the gym, it is going to be so much easier for you afterwards, because you have gotten yourself into a routine.  You are going to be so much better off, just keep it in mind.  People stare and I think it is so rude, but I find the people that actually smile versus just the gawking starre are probably women who have been through this. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageSunshine060609:
    their thought is probably "good for her!"
    This exactly!  So long as you're not wearing a crop top with your stomach hanging out, I doubt anyone is judging.

I walked/ran until the end of my pregnancy, and I was HUGE.  I looked like I was going to explode.  After I had the babies and started walking with them, I had a ton of neighbors stop and tell me they were so impressed that I ran so long. 

Don't be embarrassed at all!  Good for you for getting out there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I worked out when I was pregnant last year (triathalon) and I had a few people come up to me in the gym complimenting me!  I agree - they are most likely fascinated and impressed.
  • Options
    I think they're probably just staring because they think pregnant women are too fragile to even attempt to work out!  I congratulate you on trying and being able to keep up with it!  Getting in some exercise is supposed to help make labor a little easier for you, and it'll hopefully keep you limbered up for the rest of your pregnancy & ease some of the usual pains we would normally get.  Just wear something that doesn't let your belly hang out and be proud you're doing something healthy for you AND baby :)
  • Options
    If you have an indoor pool at your gym, try that! It alleviates pressure from the added weight. That was absolutely fantastic during the second and third trimester. GL!
  • Options
    People used to stare at me too when I was running 9 month pregnant, but now I get a lot of compliments from people who saw me running pregnant and now see me with our daughter. I love running so not doing it was out of the question, and it made my pregnancy, delivery and recovery so much easier. Keep it up!
  • Options
    I know that when I see a pregnant woman at the gym (which I rarely do), I am just impressed :)  And you will feel better now and come delivery time!
  • Options
    I feel this way sometimes too but I always feel so much better after I go. Keep it up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"