Parenting after 35
Options

*Piranha54*

How did your surgery go and how are you feeling? Are you off work for a while and do you have help with Ellie?  And how did the weaning go?  You probably posted an update but I've been off TB while I was in Canada and everyone was so busy posting I will never catch up!  Anyway just wanted to say I hope you're doing ok!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: *Piranha54*

• Options

Lisa -

Nope, I really haven't posted much about these fun things Indifferent  thanks for asking!

Weaning - we had 5 weeks to do it in and once I got over my bwahhhhs, it actually went really well.  The two day sessions were easy to drop and replace with a sippy of milk (used your salty cracker idea which worked wonders to get her to drink more, but she could have cared less about the strawberry quick I stole from my brother for her).  While I would have preferred to drop the morning feeding last, since I was going back to work, and am typically gone before she gets up, we dropped that next.  And then we had two weeks to drop the night feeding before surgery.  Since Ellie got so sick from the daycare cooties, this ended up being easy as well - she was so stuffed up over the Thanksgiving weekend that nursing was miserable and we just stopped.  It's kind of funny, I have done things almost opposite of you - we have our cuddling, singing, warm soymilk time in the same place as we nursed, and no problems. 

Surgery was a mixed bag - the ankle procedure went perfectly, but I ended up with a spinal fluid leak from the anesthesia so was pretty miserable for 4 days until they were able to take care of it.  Now the ankle feels ok as long as it's elevated, but I can not put ANY weight on it.  Crutches and a half leg cast - miserable.  I can't be alone with Ellie essn - my mom had to come over to help with dinner and bedtime the other night.  DH is totally overwhelmed, and is still fighting off his version of the daycare cooties.  Ugh.  I really don't know how we're going to make potentially 6-8 weeks of me on crutches!  Survival mode has set un - sent DH to the store to buy pot pies etc! 

But I do have a cool candy cane, glow in the dark cast and in 3-4 months this will mostly be over.  Thats my mantra right now.

Hope Simon is feeling better!

Lisa

• Options

OMG that sounds awful!  I've never even heard of a fluid spinal leak!  Is it painful?  6-8 weeks on crutches is a drag but at least Ellie will be in daycare so you won't have to entertain her on weekdays...weekends will be hard though.  You're lucky you have your mom to help.  (Wish I lived closer to mine!)  What did you have done to your ankle?  I'm no stranger to orthopedic surgery but I've never had ankle surgery, although in the last 10 years DH and I have had a combined total of 2 clavicle surgeries, 1 back surgery, 2 rotator cuff surgeries, 1 hernia surgery and a c-section.  I'm glad weaning Ellie went smoothly at least!  Hope she and your DH are over their daycare cooties and sending lots of healing energy your way for a speedy recovery!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's a very unpleasant thing - laying down is ok, but as soon as you sit up its a massive wave of blinding headache and nausea that doesn't go away until you lay down again.  Imagine crutching to the bathroom...I tore a tendon - which sounds like it should be a pretty simple thing, right?  Ends up it's essentially ankle reconstruction - I have 3 incisions over 12+ inches long.  Eww.  I don't recommend it. 

And wow!  You and your sweetie are also orthopaedic surgeon's dreams! 

How's Simon and thanks for the thoughts!!

• Options
    Sounds miserable!  Was it the anesthesiologist's fault or is it just something that can happen?  I love my anesthesiologist, had him for all 3 surgeries, we chatted the whole time during my c-section and he helped distract me from my panic attack (I'm claustrophobic and didn't like being paralyzed from the waist down during the spinal block!) But hey who's complaining, that's nothing compared to what it must be like to go through labor! Anyway I hope you tore your tendon doing something impressive like running a marathon.  Wink  It's never something good like that is it?  I've broken bones tripping on the stairs before, and DH blew out his back slipping on the ice although he swears he did it mountain biking cause that's how he tore both rotator cuffs.  I broke my clavicle in a bad mountain biking accident (head injury, ribs, lumbar...fun!) and had a metal plate put in then had it removed 2 years later, hence the double clavicle surgery.  Yes we are an orthopedist's dream, and fortunately our town has great orthopedists because of all the ski injuries.  Simon's just got a run of the mill cold, thanks for asking, I sent him to daycare today since he's on the mend.  Is Ellie getting over her cold too?
  • Options

Lisa - OMG, you may be a bigger wreck than I am orthopaedically! Wow.  And it's a pretty blah story - twisted my ankle walking Ellie and popped out a bone chip that sliced the tendon.  Didn't even hurt that much.

The spinal fluid leak is just something associated with epidurals and spinal blocks - think they said the rate is 1 in 100.  But I was still kinda glad it was a different anesthesiologist that did the patch.  Even though I know better!

Glad Simon's feeling better.  Ellie is back on antibiotics and after talking to DH, they're having a quiet snowed in day.  Which is good, but I just miss my bubbly baby girl!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"