Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

What shoes does your Lo wear to daycare.

So LO will start daycare in about 6 weeks, she'll be 12months.

She has never worn shoes, only socks when it has been cold.

I know that it's meant to be best for LOs to be barefoot for their feet to develop strength and balance. 

I don't feel ok sending LO along barefoot, even though it's summer and very warm here, but I feel funny cramming her feet into shoes.

She's cruising furniture but not walking on her own yet. 

Anyone send their LO to daycare barefoot? 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: What shoes does your Lo wear to daycare.

• Im pretty sure your required to send them with shoes. You can buy soft soled leather ones oor booties if you want. I didnt start putting ds into hard soled shoes until 1-2 months ago but there was no point because he ripped them off allllll day. Now he wears fuzzy booties everywhere because he leaves them on lol.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It probably depends on the place--we sent our LO barefoot all summer when he was 10-13 months because he'd rip off all shoes and socks.  Now he wears soft soled ones.
  • Loading the player...
  • How about just socks, or Robeez?  DD went barefoot at the time at daycare.  She goes to a small center.  It didn't bother me.
  • We use an in home provider & they go out and about sometimes, so the babysitter requested some shoes for DD for the times when she insisted on standing (and eventually cruising or walking) on her own. I got some See Kai Run smaller soft soled shoes & told the sitter that I really wanted her barefoot in the house, and that these were just for when they are outside, since DD was pretty strongwilled about being able to stand and not  be held in certain situations.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    IMG_0173.11
    Trying for #2 since July 2010
    BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
    BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
    BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
    Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
    BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
    Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Talk to the day care and see if you can send her barefoot. We didn't send AJ with shoes until he was walking alone and they were fine with that.
  • He wore shoes/sandals, but now that it's winter, they wear slippers or Robeez-like shoes.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS has been walking since 11 months I sent softsoled shoes in his bag at first so they could put them on if they went outside.  He didn't start wearing shoes regularly untill about a month ago he walks to the car now and its cold and snowy so he wears rubber soled shoes.
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• You should at least send her in Robeez, which are leather soled booties. Target also sells a $12 kind called MiniStarz, and they work just as well.

You could also look into RileyRoos for outside shoes - they have a flexible sole and imitate barefoot walking. My DD wore those and Robeez/MiniStarz until she was about 18-20 months old. 

• Yes!

DS never wore shoes at DC (or anywhere else) until he moved to the toddler room.  Then, it took a couple of weeks before he'd let us put shoes on him without a fit, so he was still going barefoot (it was summer) during that time.  He was only crawling, and the teacher didn't care.  Once he got used to the shoes and was pulling up/cruising, we sent him in soft-soled shoes. 

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Our center requires that they have shoes (while at the same time requires parents to take off their shoes.  I never thought about that until now...).  DD wears her Stride Rite sneakers.  The little guys who are not walking yet wear Robeez or soft soled shoes.   
  • Until recently we sent LO in socks only and most days he was barefoot by the time we picked him up.  Now that it's cooler we're putting him in shoes, but mostly just to keep the socks on, LOL.  He wears the target version of Robeez soft soled shoes.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If shes not walking yet and they wont be playing outside...Id say robeez  or the generic form from Target.

DD wears Target boots alot or her sketcher twinkle toes.

Id say tennis shoes would be good too.

I would send my child with shoes, but if you dont want dc wearing them all day just take them off when you get there along with her coat/hat.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • before he was walking well, he just wore some very soft soled shoes like robeez.
  • Mine requires it too in the toddler (12 mo+) rooms, plus won't they be going outside to play? Mine have always worn sneakers (same ones every day...) - DS was walking about 6 weeks before going back to daycare after the summer so he went right into regular sneakers and DD was just starting to take steps when they went back so I got her some of Stride Rites early walker shoes which have a rubber sole & are really flexible (like you can fold them in half). At home they were (and are) always barefoot or in socks. Also I used pedipeds soft soled shoes in the early days- firm enough to protect from stepping on something hard but still super thin/flexible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"