Baby Names

MIL making fun of the name we picked out... *upset*

I try my hardest to get along with my MIL and my DH doesn't like her very much since she gives me a lot of issues(whole big story). Well my DH is name Kelly and all though high school and even now he gets a lot of grief with his name being a questionable unisex name. So whatever I choose and I share with her she find things that kid could potentially make fun of them for.... This is my theory or she could just be a real b!tch... We picked out a girls name a long time ago and we really like it. Luna Marie.... I don't know if many others would like it, but she kept saying... everyone I talked to that i said Luna thought Lunatic... do you think lunatic when you hear the name Luna... ?? I don't know... I am just pretty upset about it. Should have listen to my DH and not share it...
Nickie
Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

Re: MIL making fun of the name we picked out... *upset*

• That's what I think of, sorry.
  • I think of Harry Potter...Luna Lovegood.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • With the pop-culture reference to the character in Harry Potter, I think more people would say "Looney Lovegood" than "lunatic". . . whether you consider that an appealing association or not is up to you, of course.
  • I love the name Luna :)  Once she is here and your MIL has a different association with the name, she will grow to love it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageShanin8:
    I love the name Luna :)  Once she is here and your MIL has a different association with the name, she will grow to love it!

Well put!  And I love your Boxers!

This is why we don't share our name options.  Everyone's got an opinion.  If you decide that's her name, then just firmly say, that is her name.  She will get used to it! 

• I love me some Luna! it's on my long list of girls names. I think its a great name in the sense that its unique and totally legit. I say who cares what your MIL likes its not her child its yours.
    **~Future Mama to my June "Sprout"~**
    EDD- 06/13/2017
    **Stinkerbelle-8-27-10 * Mr.P's 2nd Mama 7-27-07**
    TTGP's 2013 Sweetest Bumpie <3 

• Luna=Moon

And I wouldnt name my child moon.

• I know a dog name Luna, so it's a dogs name to me!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I also really like the name and lunatic never crossed my mind, also not a huge follower of Happy Potter so that connection didn't get to me. I like nature names though, very pretty and feminine.

• yeah I think of the Harry Potter character. But I think that character was also very well named. I would think of a little girl named Luna to be very spacey and odd. But you should stop telling your MIL names. Seriously. 
  • It's NMS, and I hate to say it, but I agree w/your MIL in terms that it seems like an easy name to make fun.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • i think it's beautiful, i love luna lovegood but i also don't think harry potter will be QUITE so big in 6-10 years (which is when your daughter's peers will be introduced to it), i don't think of lunatic at all ( i think moon, and that's lovely), i know a little girl named luna and she has no hassles at all, and if your mil named her son kelly she has no right to talk!

also: don't tell your family the name and you won't have this problem.

• Sorry, I agree with your MIL. It's a pretty name, but it's such an easy name to make fun of. Lunatic, loony bin, etc. It could make her childhood harder than it has to be. But seriously, it's your child, not your MIL's. Really, the only opinions that matter are yours and your husband's.
  • Have to agree with her on your choice,  However, it was rude of her to say unless you specifically asked for her input.

Lesson learned, don't share your names until birth.

• i think of the moon.  it is pretty.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't like it, but lunatic would have never crossed my mind. My mom dislikes almost every name I like, but I refuse to let her opinion sway me. Name your child what you and your DH like! :)
  • Thank you everyone! I should have listened to the DH when he said not to share it. She has been bring it up a lot.... that is the only issue that I have with it. My mother has been very supportive. My brother's name is Forrest and she got a lot of hassle with wanting to name him that, but she said it is ultimately our decision. I appreicate everyones input and we have a while until we really need to seriously thinking. I guess I learned my lesson early on. We don't even know the sex yet, so it may not even be an option to name her Luna, but we will see. Thank you again! <3
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• I would be more concerned with kids calling her Tuna.
  • Luna is a pretty name. I like it but I would have only considered using it if I had married a man who was Hispanic. It's not a terribly unusual name in Spanish speaking countries.
    Sept. 2010: IVF #1= BFP; May 2012: FET #1= blighted ovum, D&C; FET #2= ?? Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Luna is a beautiful name (though the Marie is NMS/too vanilla for me, sorry) and your MIL is a biitch.  I agree with PP, stop sharing names with her if she's going to be that way.
    Mom to a beautiful boy and girl!
  • image4-Ever-Young:

I think of Harry Potter...Luna Lovegood.

This right here. Loonie Luna. But if it wasn't for HP I would like the name.

• I like the name. I also think that every name could be made fun of. My name is Denise, they use to call me neinner and then rhymed it with weinner and that was the nickname I grew up with.

Things happen.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I like it. I definitely don't think lunatic when I hear it. I think of: Luna Di Luna (wine), Moon, and even Claire de Lune.  All nice things to me! :)
  • image4-Ever-Young:

This was the first thing that popped in my head...

• imagePiscesFish:
    Luna is a beautiful name (though the Marie is NMS/too vanilla for me, sorry) and your MIL is a biitch.  I agree with PP, stop sharing names with her if she's going to be that way.

Marie is my middle name and is my mothers and my grandmother. It isn't a tradition we just liked it with our last name. It rhymed pretty well. 

Nickie

• Yeah, that's what I think about, too. But I do like your taste. Might I suggest Petra? Also, Portia. I feel like they're along the same lines.

Either way, if you come up with a name, I'd tell your MIL, "We haven't decided yet" for now on and then surprise her when the baby is born. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • BTW, I must say that you and your hubby (I clicked on your blog) are ridiculously cute together. My husband and I have also been together for around ten years and were high school sweethearts. :) Congrats on the new baby.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Harry potter, Luna/Lunie Lovegood

I like Luna Marie very much!

M/C 04-1999 Missed M/C 04-20-2005 M/C 11-09-2006 DD - Sable Ren
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE the name Luna!  It made it into our top 10 and then we couldn't find a mn hat we liked...regardless of what your MIL or anyone else thinks of the name, if you and your DH love it, then go with it...it's your kid!
    mc #1~02/2004
    mc #2~08/2005
    mc #3~02/2008
    Blessed with a beautiful, healthy baby girl on 11/22/2009.
    The wait, though heartbreaking, was well worth it.
    mc #4~03/2011
    mc #5~11/2011
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I would never think "lunatic." I think of the moon since that's what it is in Spanish, but that's not a bad thing.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I think it is a lovely name. I also think of the moon and I love Harry Potter and the character named Luna in it. It is also the name of a band I like (listen to the song called "california all the way") you will love it too! I never thought of lunatic for a second. The best idea is to mention a few names you two like to your family members and then tell them that the final decision is a surprise to be found out when he/she is born. After all, most people reveal the sex so something needs to be left a surprise!
  • Luna makes me think of the moon or Luna bars...never would lunatic cross my mind. MIL call my son Grammy before he was born (name is Graeme) and I just said there was no need for a nn for a 1 syllable name and ignored any other comments.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• I don't like the name Luna, though Marie is a nice name.. 

How about Love Marie? :)

• I'm sorry but my sisters cats name is Luna and we call her Lunatic because she is crazy. :(

But I also think Moon, which is nice. :)

Married 8-02-08

After 3 years TTC with PCOS and two losses Olivia Nikelle was born 4-08-13

TTC #2 Since August 2014

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I think of the moon. Lunatic never occurred to me. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • A lot of people didn't like our name choice (Mason).  Some really "good" friends of mine really ripped it apart and it seriously bothered me.  Next time we won't be sharing the name outside immediate family and even then we may not tell them the exact name- just a few that we're thinking of.  I still haven't really gotten over how mad I was at them the night they were totally making fun of my unborn son's name.  I know I shouldn't have let it bother me but they were totally incessant. 

FWIW, I think of the moon and I like the name.

• image4-Ever-Young:

This.

Luna Marie is gorgeous though. And you MIL really has no room to talk seeing as she named her son Kelly, and he's received a lot of flack for it. 

• imagestrangebird:
    With the pop-culture reference to the character in Harry Potter, I think more people would say "Looney Lovegood" than "lunatic". . . whether you consider that an appealing association or not is up to you, of course.

This. I immediately thought HP.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• imagefeffy11:

I think of the moon.

Me too

• imageforensicmama:
    BTW, I must say that you and your hubby (I clicked on your blog) are ridiculously cute together. My husband and I have also been together for around ten years and were high school sweethearts. :) Congrats on the new baby.

Thank you! He is my best friend! I am very lucky to have found him... I known him since I was 8 years old... together for 10 years. 

Nickie

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"