March 2011 Moms
Options

Crazy Names/Spellings...!!! :(

I have come across the most unusual spellings of names lately and strange names. 1st off let me say I am a RATIONAL fan of unique names and spellings however some names should not be augmented in any way shape or form like the name Lauren. I saw this name recently spelled LaWren (WTH)?? Full name Lawren Kourtnee. OMG... secondly I love the name Avery. This is a unisex name and very simple why re-do the spelling. I recently saw this name spelled Aavorie????? WHY PEOPLE? Like I said I am a fan of replacing an "I" or an "A" with a "Y" duh my daughter's going to be named Jordyn... I just see these to be a bit much.

So what are some of the strangest names you have seen so far? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Crazy Names/Spellings...!!! :(

• Options

Cute bump pic!

Strange spelling of 'normal' names drives me up the wall.  The ONLY defense I have for Aavorie is that the family MIGHT be from the dutch antillies in the carribean.  Dutch language tends to use "aa" in many word spellings.  That could account for a few strange name spelling as people may be accomodating for their mother tongues. 

But Lawren is just silly. 

• Options
    I actually know a girl named Lawren IRL. It's not my favorite, but I guess I just don't see it as THAT strange.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I def like more unique names to a point! but sometimes the spellings do get crazy!
  • Options
    A friend of a friend on FB named her daughter Khamryn.....yuck!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • Options

i hate that people have taken "sometimes y" for being "stick y wherever you want". my friend and i regularly text each other horrible names seen on name tags, on FB, and i send her some doozies from the bump Baby Names board. but here's a good one that my boyfriend saw on FB the other day:

Sonshyne. 

Indifferent

Bre Wrties
  • Options
    Unique names are cool. Making up your own spelling for them not so cool.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Ick!  That poor child will have to spell out their name their entire life.
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageschirinos:

Cute bump pic!

Strange spelling of 'normal' names drives me up the wall.  The ONLY defense I have for Aavorie is that the family MIGHT be from the dutch antillies in the carribean.  Dutch language tends to use "aa" in many word spellings.  That could account for a few strange name spelling as people may be accomodating for their mother tongues. 

But Lawren is just silly. 

Thanks! As far as the background of the name they are definitely not dutch...they are of African decent. I think they just wanted to be totally different. :)
  • Options
    imagebre87:

i hate that people have taken "sometimes y" for being "stick y wherever you want". my friend and i regularly text each other horrible names seen on name tags, on FB, and i send her some doozies from the bump Baby Names board. but here's a good one that my boyfriend saw on FB the other day:

Sonshyne. 

Indifferent

Omgee! Very "different" to say the least. Forgot to add that I was watching "Birth Day" the other day and saw one of the strangest "worker names". An I believe 1st time couple named their daughter "Sailor" & all I cld think about the entire time was the cartoon show "Sailor Moon". Smh
  • Options
    I have a friend named Lawren...she was named after her grandpa Lawrence.
  • Options

Okay.  I am against all things unique.  Well, not really.  But, I hate putting the letter "Y" where it doesn't belong.  And I am not making fun or being mean to those of you who are doing it... I just grew up with a name that I constantly had to tell people how to spell.  IT IS AWFUL!  Don't do this to your children.  I was always "Christina with a C-H"... I still hate it.  My step-grandmother still spells my name wrong after 20 years.  And my name isn't even that unique!!!  I would probably have grown up to kill my mother if she went with "Chrystyna"...

-Also note... changing letters to a 'y' can also change the pronunciation and that makes being a teacher really hard.  Not only will your kid have to correct spelling, but also tell people how to pronounce their name all their life.

• Options

Not really an odd spelling situation, rather a very odd name -

I ran into an old teacher at work yesterday.  Her husband works in an ER and said a girl came into the ER one day and the name on her DL was Placenta. 

I'm sorry, but that's just horrible.  Why would someone do that to their child?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageDefiantRose:

I ran into an old teacher at work yesterday.  Her husband works in an ER and said a girl came into the ER one day and the name on her DL was Placenta. 

Bahahahaha... Idk what about this name sounds appealing at all to make any person want to name their child after it. Horrid.

• Options
    imageStellarStina26:

Okay.  I am against all things unique.  Well, not really.  But, I hate putting the letter "Y" where it doesn't belong.  And I am not making fun or being mean to those of you who are doing it... I just grew up with a name that I constantly had to tell people how to spell.  IT IS AWFUL!  Don't do this to your children.  I was always "Christina with a C-H"... I still hate it.  My step-grandmother still spells my name wrong after 20 years.  And my name isn't even that unique!!!  I would probably have grown up to kill my mother if she went with "Chrystyna"...

-Also note... changing letters to a 'y' can also change the pronunciation and that makes being a teacher really hard.  Not only will your kid have to correct spelling, but also tell people how to pronounce their name all their life.

Definitely respect your opinion because everyone is entitled to have one, but your name is not one bit unique. I thought your name was the "original/correct" spelling of Christina... & I don't know to many grandmothers that can get their grand kids names right either spelling, pronouncing, or remembering. My G-ma calls me the wrong name all the time, and mixes me up with my sisters and cousins as well. As far as the Y for an A or an I thing... like I said I think it is fine in moderation as is anything and if it looks "right" when written.  To spell your name Chrystyna looks awful and as you said would make me want to change the pronunciation.

• Options

so i went to go check out the baby names board, and theres this facebook thread for parents to explain their "unique" names and how they came to them. oooh man.

https://www.facebook.com/philipsavent/posts/146206485432337

Bre Wrties
  • Options
    imagebre87:

so i went to go check out the baby names board, and theres this facebook thread for parents to explain their "unique" names and how they came to them. oooh man.

https://www.facebook.com/philipsavent/posts/146206485432337

SMH! Indifferent

• Options
    imageDefiantRose:

hahahaha.... I just lol'ed at this. Placenta?? Omg... that poor woman.

I like pretty traditional names, so to be honest... a lot of the "unique" names that I see out there kind of irk me. I feel bad for these kids that have to go through life with weird names! My best friend's name is Anique (which is a real name... it's French). She was teased relentlessly for her entire childhood. Kids can be cruel.

• Options
    Oh wow! that's so funny that i came across this blog! My daughters name is Aavorie! And we r located in Dallas TX! Wow its a small world. I named my Daughter Aavorie not Avery. It's not meant to sound just like Avery but more like Ivory. The two A's are there because I like it and its not the most crazy spelled name that I have seen. As a matter of fact it works very well with my beautiful daughter and and in my opinion not "ghetto" at all. You are located in Plano TX so it's not too far fetched that maybe you are referring to my family in this blog. I hope not. Anyway take care.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"