South Florida Babies
Options

**anj410**

Thanks for your reply! I don't feel like one of the only ones on this board- I feel like one of the only ones in the world who are FF from the start! I gave it a lot of thought for a long time and decided breastfeeding isn't for me. It seems that lately EVERYONE is asking if I am breastfeeding (or assuming that I am) and they are so surprised when I say I am not. Most people actually try to change my mind by listing all the benefits. And I agree, I know there are benefits, but I know my baby can grow to be big, healthy and strong on formula too...

Anyhow- Thanks for sharing!

Mari

Re: **anj410**

• Options

I knew before I was ever pregnant that breastfeeding was not for me. I was just not comfortable with it. As I got closer to actually giving birth, I tried really hard to wrap my mind around the idea, just so I would know that I really thought the whole thing out, but deep down inside I still felt that it just was not something I wanted to do.

Unfortunately, you are going to find yourself defending FF and facing a lot of criticism for it. Nicky is over a year old now and has been drinking  regular cow's milk from a cup for almost four months and I was bombarded by someone at a children's birthday party a few weeks ago about not breastfeeding him when he was an infant.  I'm not really sure why anyone cares what someone else feeds their child, but some people find the need to be very outspoken and condescending about it. 

Also, please do not let anyone make you feel bad by telling you about all the benefits you will be depriving your child of....its just not true.  (Knock on wood) except for two days of sniffles after returning from a trip up to NY when he was 3 months old, my son has never ever been sick, not once.

• Options

And I just want to add in quickly before this posts turns into a BF vs FF debate, that I am not criticzing BFing.  It's just a very sore subject for me because literally for months after Nicholas was born,someone would stop me somewhere to ask me if I was BFing and then and grill me about why I wasn't and didn't I want the best thing for my baby, blah, blah, blah.....it really bothered me.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just wanted to chime in - should you feel any better with a little support.  I am formula feeding as well and also find it odd that I have to defend my decision.  STRANGERS are always asking if I'm breastfeeding and I think it's so weird.  I would never ask someone if they're breastfeeding.  Anyway, you need to do what is right for you.  Noah is a year and a half and is very healthy.  Kate seems to be doing well also.  Formula has come a long way since our parents and grandparents had the option.  My OB and pediatrician both have formula fed kids.  I don't understand why we have to be so defensive about it but I do understand both sides of the coin.  Good luck with whatever slack you get and realize that the way you feed your child isn't the measure by which you love her.
  • Options

i'm ff from the start.  even before the md told me that i couldn't bf b/c of the meds, i had already decided i wanted to ff.  I know it sounds like a bit of a cop out, but saying that the drs won't let me is easier than saying i just didn't feel comfortable.  

and you know what? my mom didn't formula feed me or my sister and she's never sick and i'm hardly every sick, so i don't fully agree that it's the only way to up your child's immunities. 

• Options
    FF'er here too! I tried to BF but it didn't work out and I stopped shy of 2 weeks. I am constantly being asked if i BF even now that Zoe is almost 7 months old! It's seriously so annoying! But Zoe is happy and healthy and I'm feeling fine about my decision to FF! Your little one will be fine as well :-)
  • Options
    i seriously dont get why people ask how you are going to feed your child. it's bizarre to me. mind your own damn business. i too am struggling with this. not sure what i'm going to do. but i too constantly get asked (which i would never do...because honestly i dont care. i have more interesting things to talk about). and when i say "i don't know" or "i'll may try, i guess", i get shit for it. huh? look, i never had a drop of breast milk in my entire life and i am super healthy (knock on wood). noone should feel badly about how they feed...it's not like you're starving your baby!
  • Options

Thanks to all of you! I didn't mention before- but my sisters and I were all FF and healthy. I also don't understand why people are so interested to know wheter you are breastfeeding or not... Such a personal question, but I started getting asked the day people found out I was pregnant.

Anyhow- I just decided to not care what people think and just go about my life and what I feel is best for us. I heard the lactation consultant at the hospital is really pushy too... She made a friend of mine who was undecided about BF cry for weeks becuase she didn't have milk. That was part of the reason why I felt I had to make a decision I felt comfortable with BEFORE going in to deliver so I can be prepared when they come in to encourage me to BF.

Anyhow- Thanks to all of you that replied!!!!

Mari

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"