Babies: 6 - 9 Months

8 month old dropped a feeding- drinking 20 oz now

My 8 month old DD dropped a whole bottle of feeding per day in the last two weeks. She has solids twice a day and is now drinking 18 to 20 oz of formula per day. I have not increased her solid intake.

Is there something I can do, or rather should do? She has the same amount of formula and solids in one sitting as before.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: 8 month old dropped a feeding- drinking 20 oz now

• I BF, and DS only gets one bottle a day, but I would guess his intake is somewhere around there too. I have also been concerned about it. How much are you feeding at the solids feedings? DS gets total about 1/2 cup of food at breakfast and again for dinner and 1/4 of food for lunch (which we've only been doing at all the last 2 days).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKirbus:

imageCalMum_Momma:
    I BF, and DS only gets one bottle a day, but I would guess his intake is somewhere around there too. I have also been concerned about it. How much are you feeding at the solids feedings? DS gets total about 1/2 cup of food at breakfast and again for dinner and 1/4 of food for lunch (which we've only been doing at all the last 2 days).

Your LO is so adorable!  His cheeks are amazing!

Big Smile Thanks! We have the same bib yours is wearing in your siggy pic! So cute!

• Loading the player...
  • My 8 month old DD drinks 18ozs per day.  She eats three meals of solids (BIG meals).  She just seems to prefer to eat rather than drink. 

I've tried everything...she won't even take a bedtime bottle.  I don't think there is anything you can do.  As my pedi said, "you can't force her to drink" :)

• I just had this conversation with my pedi last week.  My DD dropped down from about 22-24 oz a day to 18 oz a day a few weeks ago, as soon as she hit the 8 month mark. My pedi said its completely normal because growth slows slightly at this age and her body is starting to get most of its nutrients from the foods she eats. He told me that 16 oz a day is sufficient.

Also, when my son was 9 months old, my then-pedi (we lived in another state) told me to cut him back to no more than 20 oz a day because he should be getting most of his calories from food at that age.

• So glad you asked this.  I just called my pedi's office today and the nurse didn't really answer my questions about how much they should be getting.  I was told 24 oz. was the min. and I can't see how that would work if we added another feeding (3 feedings a day).  It sounds like it's ok to have less than the 24 oz. though. 
  • My DS is right behind your LO and I've been noticing the same thing.  He has dropped from 24-26 ounces of formula a day to about 20-22.  He's not finishing bottles now, yet he continues to eat solids voraciously.  Glad to see the pattern here.  :) 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"