Phoenix Babies
Options

Insurance with maternity coverage?? HELP!

Hi everyone,

So it's been years since I've been on thenest -- my two kids are 2 and 4 now and we are seriously considering our number 3. BUT- we are self employed on an individual family plan with Blue Cross Blue Shield and there is NO maternity benefit. I'm looking to change insurance for myself at least, but can't seem to find insurance with maternity coverage. What are all of you on?? Any recommendations? I had Lifewise with my first pregnancy, but they are no longer in AZ and I had Cigna with my second pregnancy, but I don't see maternity benefits anymore. 

We are planning on TTC this spring and I know I need to have my new insurance in effect for awhile with most plans before they will cover a pregnancy. 

I know I can call an insurance broker, but that's such a hassle. Hoping for some help here =) Thanks ladies!!

Tamie

Re: Insurance with maternity coverage?? HELP!

• Options
    I have an aetna ppo through my company I work with.  Seems to cover just fine but I haven't seen the final bill yet.  GL! I don't know anything about individual insurance plans. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Many PPOs do not cover maternity.  Most HMOs do.  They treat it just like a regular "illness."  Copays and prescription costs are often cheaper with an HMO anyhow. 

If you simply cannot get an individual insurance plan that will cover maternity expenses, one option to look into are "prenatal packages" and similar care plans that are discounted, but that you pay out of pocket for.  Maricopa Family Health Services offers one that is all-inclusive for $2800 -- INCLUDING delivery, all your prenatal checkups, and a post-delivery baby wellness checkup.  If you qualify for ACHHHS or have a limited income, that figure goes down significantly.

One thing I'm not too sure of, is with the new health care law that made it illegal to treat pregnancy as a pre-existing condition, is whether that had any effect on maternity waiting periods.  I just landed a new federal job, and maternity is included in my plan, but I'm not sure if there is a waiting period or not.  I guess there's only one way to find out.... pay my $15 copay at my first prenatal visit, and then wait for a fat bill....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"