Baby Showers
Options

Shower for 2nd child?

Currently pregnant with our second, and my sis and mom both mentioned throwing a shower sometime in the future.  I always thought it was strange for someone to have a shower for their second. Does it depend on the gender (say if we already have a boy and the 2nd is a girl)?  So confused if it really matters or not. :-)

Re: Shower for 2nd child?

• Options
    I personally think showers for a second child are a no-no.
  • Options

If it's a different gender or if the kids are far apart I see nothing wrong but I would not do a huge shower. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJenniferk08:

If it's a different gender or if the kids are far apart I see nothing wrong but I would not do a huge shower. 

i agree. As long as it wasn't a huge to-do, I would feel ok going to a 2nd baby shower. I probably wouldn't buy as big a gift (assuming you already have the Big Stuff) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It just isn't done where I live.  I would not go unless it was someone that was a close family member (and then, I'd only go due to family politics) or there was some sort of extenuating circumstance - like if the family lost everything from their first child in a fire or something.

Showers, in the opinion of many, are to welcome new moms into motherhood.  Since you're already a mom, that's not appropriate.

Also, even if the second child is a different gender, you should still be able to reuse most everything you have from your first child.

And undoubtedly there will people that will post and say "I had showers for my second AND third kids and no one ever said anything!"  That's because polite people wouldn't say anything.  That doesn't mean that they won't grumble in private and think that the person is being gift grabby.

• Options
    I largely agree w/ danilynn.  But if someone wants to throw one, sure, you can accept. But I would keep it VERY small - it's not a time to invite "everyone you know".   I've been to one for a GOOD friend, and I was fine w/ it.  BUt if it were someone more distant, I'd probably be annoyed.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imagedanilynn17:

It just isn't done where I live. Showers, in the opinion of many, are to welcome new moms into motherhood.  Since you're already a mom, that's not appropriate

Every word of this.
  • Options
    I wouldn't attend someone's second shower unless it was a family member, and even then I would give them something much smaller like a few books or something. I feel like having more than one shower is gift-grabby. I have always felt like a "Meet the baby party" is a much better idea after the LO is here. 
  • Options
    if they offered to throw you one then i would accept but i think you should only invite family and very close friends. keep it small and meaningful! =]
  • Options
    I don't know why people are so anti 2nd baby shower's.  I would do one, I think each baby is just as important as the first.  Sometimes, I feel like the second baby gets ripped off!
  • Options

imagevmm0016:
    I don't know why people are so anti 2nd baby shower's.  I would do one, I think each baby is just as important as the first.  Sometimes, I feel like the second baby gets ripped off!

A shower is intended to welcome a new mother into motherhood, not to buy a baby a bunch of stuff.

I think each baby is important as well, but I will not be having a shower for any subsequent children.

• Options
    my best friend who lives quite far away will be coming home in July when my baby is due and insists on throwing me a baby shower. I dont feel comfortable with it since this is my second and I tried to tell her that but she wont listen. it is making me absoloutly crazy. It isnt like I dont have the means to support another child and need gifts. Family will give me what
  • Options
    my best friend who lives quite far away will be coming home in July when my baby is due and insists on throwing me a baby shower. I dont feel comfortable with it since this is my second and I tried to tell her that but she wont listen. it is making me absoloutly crazy. It isnt like I dont have the means to support another child and need gifts. Family will give me what I
  • Options
    my best friend who lives quite far away will be coming home in July when my baby is due and insists on throwing me a baby shower. I dont feel comfortable with it since this is my second and I tried to tell her that but she wont listen. it is making me absoloutly crazy. It isnt like I dont have the means to support another child and need gifts. Family will give me what I need..
  • Options

sorry about that ladies! not exactly sure what happened there.....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"