Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Keratosis Pilaris?

Anyone's LO have this?  DS has it pretty badly on his upper arms, some on his thighs and a little on his cheeks.  My pediatrician said there isn't really anything we can do about it until he is older (and hopefully it will lessen naturally).

What did your doctor say?  Have you found any home remedies?  

image Liam Henry: 9/5/09 Emmeline Claire: 5/23/11

Re: Keratosis Pilaris?

• I have it on my arms. I scrub it hard, and it makes it better. I wouldn't want to do that to my LO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Ugh, I have a good case of this.  Thanks to my mom and her mom.....  :P  Anyways, there really isn't anything you can do besides moisturize.  My dermatologist told me that she doesn't see any 80 year olds with it so I have that to look forward too.  lol.  But I find that when I don't moisturize that it is a lot worse so you could try that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have it also... it goes away in the summer, but other than that it is always there.  DS has it on his arms and thighs too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO has it, got it from me.  The dr said the same thing -nothing that can be done about it, it will get better as LO gets older.  No home remedies that i have found. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This site may be helpful to you ladies.
  • I'm a pediatric dermatology PA, so I see this frequently. It's nothing bad...it's a chronic, hereditary skin condition caused by excessive keratin (protein of the skin) production. I have it :(

what happens is, your LO produces a lot of keratin, which plugs the the pore that the little blonde, fine, baby hairs comes out of. So when they grow, they have nowhere to go, so they cause a little bump. I prescribe an acid-based (usually lactic acid) cream to exfolliate the dead skin and keratin plug. You can also get it OTC...there is Amlactin lotion and Lac-Hydrin which are sold in pharmacies. A better one is called "Akerat"...it's 3 acids and you can only buy online. It's made by a company in France called Avene. Moisturize a ton b/c dry skin leads to more dead skin. We recommend CeraVe creams (or if you can't find, Cetaphil is good too). Always creams, never lotions, as lotions have alcohol. You can also take a loofa and gently exfolliate the dead skin. Don't over do it b/c it can lead to irriation whihc makes KP worse. When they are really red and inflammed and/or itchy, I presribe a steroid cream to calm it down. It does get better with age...it usually looks more red/blotchy as adults then bumpy as kids.

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have it on my arms. There really isn't anything you can do right now. I think Evie is getting it on her arms. I just put lotion on her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageg8orell:

I'm a pediatric dermatology PA, so I see this frequently. It's nothing bad...it's a chronic, hereditary skin condition caused by excessive keratin (protein of the skin) production. I have it :(

what happens is, your LO produces a lot of keratin, which plugs the the pore that the little blonde, fine, baby hairs comes out of. So when they grow, they have nowhere to go, so they cause a little bump. I prescribe an acid-based (usually lactic acid) cream to exfolliate the dead skin and keratin plug. You can also get it OTC...there is Amlactin lotion and Lac-Hydrin which are sold in pharmacies. A better one is called "Akerat"...it's 3 acids and you can only buy online. It's made by a company in France called Avene. Moisturize a ton b/c dry skin leads to more dead skin. We recommend CeraVe creams (or if you can't find, Cetaphil is good too). Always creams, never lotions, as lotions have alcohol. You can also take a loofa and gently exfolliate the dead skin. Don't over do it b/c it can lead to irriation whihc makes KP worse. When they are really red and inflammed and/or itchy, I presribe a steroid cream to calm it down. It does get better with age...it usually looks more red/blotchy as adults then bumpy as kids.

Thanks!  Is Amlactin ok to use on a toddler?  I may try Eucerin Plus (cream, not lotion), too.  I was just reading the uric acid in it helps some people.

I have it very mild on my arms, but nothing like DS.  I know it doesn't bother him at all, but it is quite noticeable and people have made comments.  I don't want to do anything too extreme, but I figured if someone found a moisturizer that worked better than others, that it couldn't hurt.

• imagejanice74:
    imageg8orell:

I'm a pediatric dermatology PA, so I see this frequently. It's nothing bad...it's a chronic, hereditary skin condition caused by excessive keratin (protein of the skin) production. I have it :(

Thanks!  Is Amlactin ok to use on a toddler?  I may try Eucerin Plus (cream, not lotion), too.  I was just reading the uric acid in it helps some people.

I have it very mild on my arms, but nothing like DS.  I know it doesn't bother him at all, but it is quite noticeable and people have made comments.  I don't want to do anything too extreme, but I figured if someone found a moisturizer that worked better than others, that it couldn't hurt.

You're welcome! It is safe to use on a toddler...but I would try a small area first for a week or so and make sure it doesn't cause any irritation. It is very mild (low acidic value of lactic acid), but it is still lactic acid. If he has no reaction to it, then use it once a day.

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageg8orell:
    imagejanice74:
    imageg8orell:

You're welcome! It is safe to use on a toddler...but I would try a small area first for a week or so and make sure it doesn't cause any irritation. It is very mild (low acidic value of lactic acid), but it is still lactic acid. If he has no reaction to it, then use it once a day.

ok, I'll try it out! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"